PDA

View Full Version : those games you hold close to your heart

EpsilonX
01-27-2010, 03:33 AM
people have favorite games, and even preferred games, but what games do you have that hold a special place in your heart? what games do you truly have an emotional connetion to? what games do you always think about? lets hear it

legend of dragoon:
for me this was more than just a game. i fell in love with it. i thuoght about the game all the time, i even had a crush on one of the characters. i've had dreams about being in the game, or said character hanging out with me in real life. nothing can dethrone this game in my heart as my favorite game ever. the characters, music, enemies, combat system, everything is all amazing. after playing final fantasy 7 i realised the game is very derivative, but still. if a sequel came out i would pay $100 day 1 to play it. (great, i sound obsessed and loony)

Diablo 2: lord of destruction
another fantastic game. the online sucked many many hours of my life into it. i dont have as great things to say about this, but it's one of few games that i became addicted to and actually had cravings to play, lol. it was also incredibly fun and even moreso satisfying.

Metal Gear Solid:
i played this game when i was really young. WAY before i was mature enough (probably not even old enough for T games) but i thought it was excellent. i beat the entire first disc (i didnt have access to the second) but the mature themes of the game really resonated with me. at the time i had no other experience like it. i have memories playing this game that i still to this day treasure. sadly, it has aged terribly. incredibly easy nowadays. note: best boss theme in a game ever, bar none

pokemon gold/silver:
my childhood was devoted to the ways of pokemon. simple as that. these were my favorite of the series. best mix of classic nostalgia and playability. after these games, it got too complex with EV training and pokemon natures. before this game, it was too hard because of the unpolished nature of the game. this is pokemon perfected. plus, this game had the best soundtrack (its almost blasphemy to say that)

megaman battle network 3 white:
late pre-teen years were spend at a summer camp, and me and my close buddies there were all real into zoids, pokemon, and megaman. we often LARP'd them. they convinced me to buy this game, and i instantly fell in love with it. partly because of the music. we always talked about megaman, and we all slept over at someone's house and played megaman all night.

Basically, my childhood and growing up years wouldn't have been the same without these games. what games have had an actual impact on your life in some way or another?

honorable mentions:
silent hill 2
metal gear solid 2
shadow of the colossus
spyro 2/3
dragon age origins
monster hunter freedom

i'll explain some of the honorables if you want, but ill do it later since my roommate is sleeping and my keyboard is loud and he says keyboard noises keep him awake

thedeparted
01-27-2010, 03:44 AM
GTA San Andreas my most played game ever. I was so obsessed with this game that it was really the straw that broke the camels back when it came to schooling. It was my sophmore year and I already was screwing around and failing. Then San Andreas came and I played 12+ hours a day for like a month straight and just kept playing and saying screw school work. I'm wanna play San Andreas. If there ever comes a day where they remake San Andreas in HD graphics and add more land and what not. I think I might just

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuavfoTiHx1qa4u3r.jpg

Frank-the-Rabbit
01-27-2010, 05:31 AM
The Marathon series ~ I still remember the first time I played this game. My good buddy called me up and told me I needed to come up to his place so that his uncle could take us to play a game. We went to the local community college and he connected 3 of the computers for us to play multiplayer Marathon on. We had so much fun it was insane and I immediately went out to buy the game to play single player. For those of you that don't know Marathon was the beginning of the Halo series and one of Bungie's first games. I played them all and loved the stories and have been hooked since. My dad even played the single player all the way though for Marathon 2: Durandal.

Bolo ~ Bolo is an old tank shooter that we used to play all the time in middle school. You could lay mines, set up pill boxes, build bases, ect. One of the best things was eventually someone would start sinking the island with mines till it shrunk to tiny size.

I have many more but they will have to come some other time.

jango
01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
hmm ..

WoW - I've met some awesome ppl through wow, some that i've known for 5 years and also met in real life.

Baldur's Gate 2 - This was probably the first rpg that truly captured my imagination and took me into a place I'd never rly been massively interested in going to before.

XCOM UFO - A game that by today's standards is rly bad .. but I simply loved it .. it also reminds me of the time just after I'd finished university when I'd bought my first home - good times.

Age of Empires 2 - made a BIG impression on me for quite a while, especially with all the custom maps etc I used to run. Also reminds me a lot of a couple of American friends of mine that I played a lot of it with .. good times too!

Call of Duty - The first FPS i competed in properly. I competed in a couple of games prior to this, but COD was the first one I got actively involved in winning a good few realism leagues, leading squads, and also making friends .. some of which I still talk to regularly (some 7-8 years down the line).

Ghostbusters (commodore 64) - one of the games I remember from my teenage years along with Paperboy, Airwolf, and 'Sk8'. I have very fond memories of playing these games with the guys I grew up with in London. Ghostbusters, in particular, was one we enjoyed together the most.

That's all I can come up with atm ..

Diligence109
01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
getting lost in a game was so much easier when we were younger :)

Really special ones for me are all super old - Gauntlet 4 on the Sega Genesis, Rush 2049 on the N64, Quest 64 on the N64, Worms Armageddon on the PC, Dragon Warrior III on the GameBoy, and Might and Magic VIII on the PC.

Honorable mention to some other games - Age of Empires II: Conquerer's Expansion, Homeworld, Arcanum, and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

That's where my warm fuzzies are :)

EpsilonX - you talking about Legend of Dragoon does make you sound absolutely insane. You appear to be a very healthy and happy gamer for it, congratulations :)

Jango - you actually met people IRL from WoW? I'm very impressed!

HamadaLFC8
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Zelda The Ocarina of Time - That game, was just .... I don't know what to say the graphics were amazing for that time and that game just fascinated me, a couple of weeks ago I went on Youtube, looked up some songs from that game and ... I really miss it :(

Need for Speed Underground 1 - Awesome songs, awesome cars, awesome customization just a hit!

jango
01-27-2010, 09:52 AM

Aye mate .. my guild has been going for about 4 years on the Euro servers, and I've been with them from Molten Core right thru to today. We have regular guild meets during the year, normally 2-3 across Europe. The people I've met are mostly from the UK though, and seeing as it's a fairly small country compared to the US it isn't too much of a big deal. I should also say that the people I've met have been very awesome guys, and have got to know really well .. more than just gaming acquaintences .. helped one get a job with an old firm of mine for example - hehe :P

youthism_is_me
01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Donnkey Kong 64 and Crashbandicoot 3 warped

EpsilonX
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
getting lost in a game was so much easier when we were younger :)

Really special ones for me are all super old - Gauntlet 4 on the Sega Genesis, Rush 2049 on the N64, Quest 64 on the N64, Worms Armageddon on the PC, Dragon Warrior III on the GameBoy, and Might and Magic VIII on the PC.

Honorable mention to some other games - Age of Empires II: Conquerer's Expansion, Homeworld, Arcanum, and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

That's where my warm fuzzies are :)

EpsilonX - you talking about Legend of Dragoon does make you sound absolutely insane. You appear to be a very healthy and happy gamer for it, congratulations :)

maybe i exaggerated, but i do distinctly remember having a dream where meru from that game came to the street i grew up on and we played hide and seek and hid behind cards, the we went to universal orlando and went on the jurassic park ride. i was very sad when we woke up. i wanted to be a wingly so bad when i was a kid.

http://www.thelegendofdragoon.net/imagegallery/meru2.jpg

youthism_is_me
01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
i think when i was younger games were harder ...because i was younger

Frank-the-Rabbit
01-27-2010, 11:02 PM

My roommates and I went to one of our guild members wedding and met him in RL for the first time there. If he didn't live so far away we would def hang out all the time.

jango
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
My roommates and I went to one of our guild members wedding and met him in RL for the first time there. If he didn't live so far away we would def hang out all the time.

Nice!

Like most things it's all about picking and choosing hehe :P

HamadaLFC8
01-28-2010, 03:14 AM

Nokia connecting people - FAIL

Video Games connecting people - WIN!

Kenoi
01-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I really liked playing the Star Ocean series as a kid. those games were awesome...

RaiDae
01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I suppose the sims was a special game for me. People used to come to my house just to watch me play the sims... kids are weird.
Fable was the game of games. It was my first real rpg and it got me into the gaming scene. If I had never picked it up.. I don't know where i'd be today.

Jaykub
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Zelda The Ocarina of Time

always my #1