PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Online!

Morticia
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Star_Trek_Online_cover.jpg

So Star Trek Online came out yesterday, and it looks effing epic. Took them a while though... It's been in development for YEARS. I heard about it when they first started it and after over a year of waiting I just gave up :P Well, here's the game play tidbits:

According to the official website, each player will be captain of his or her own ship, serving either the United Federation of Planets or the Klingon Empire. It also stated that players will be able to beam down onto the surfaces of different planets "for face-to-face confrontations". Exploration of the inside of starships will, at launch, be limited to the bridge and certain episodes (missions); however, it has been stated by Cryptic that they will introduce fully explorable starship interiors not too long after launch.

The first announcement of the game structure took place at the official Star Trek convention in Las Vegas in August 2008. It was announced that players could play as a Starfleet, or Klingon officer, or can create entirely new races. Adventures will be possible in space, on planets, or aboard ships. Every player will be captain of their own individual ship; in keeping with naval tradition, anyone who commands a ship, regardless of his or her 'actual' rank, is considered a 'captain'. Their ships will have a number of crewmen who will all be NPCs.

According to an interview by GameSpot with Cryptic Studios' executive producer Craig Zinkievich, there will be references to several famous storylines, ships, and characters from various Star Trek shows. One confirmed Star Trek film reference was revealed when Zachary Quinto announced, at the 2009 Spike TV Video Game Awards, that he will be "the voice of Atari's new ‘STAR TREK ONLINE' game".

A system called the "Genesis System" will allow Cryptic Studios to algorithmically create and add new star systems to the game. Players will be able to explore these uncharted star systems, and might find content which opens up new resources and technologies. Players may find races with various special abilities who can be recruited to the players' crew.

The game will feature two very different combat systems. Away-team missions will feature fast paced "run and gun" combat. Space combat will stress the long-term tactical aspect of combat between capital ships, in concert with the Star Trek storyline, and will entail positioning, shifting power between weapons and shields, and finding various weaknesses.

There might be a Galactic Economy, which would be based on trade, and might fluctuate like a stock market. It will be possible for players to pool resources to form fleets or guilds. Quests will be issued from Central Command, and players can join together on the ground. Gameplay will be fully co-operative, and dynamic events will be one part of the game. A "system of infinite exploration" will enable players to find and explore random, uncharted planets.

There will be a variety of ship classes which can be used by all players. Playable ship classes will not be restricted based on a player's specialty.

Anyone planning on buying it? I think the whole concept looks pretty damn epic.

jango
02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
i thought about it but theni kinda thought meh .. for me at least star trek always seemed a bit limp

thedeparted
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I've always been a Star Wars guy. Star Trek never did anything for

Frank-the-Rabbit
02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
I do enjoy Star Trek but I won't be playing this game. The idea is cool and normally I would be all over it but I am trying to stay away from MMO's for a while.

Shixx
02-04-2010, 04:23 AM
For those interested.. I have Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn_PGIiI_JQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhBqA6EhFuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idx5HC4Y9H4

Uploading 2 more atm.

It was an ok MMO, a Fan of Star Trek would love it though I'm sure.

I was born more in the star wars era, I guarantee if I was born 5-10 years earlier I would've loved star Trek.

jango
02-04-2010, 05:08 AM
good god it looks terrible :O

cheers for the links tho shixx :)

Shixx
02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I went back and watched those, and damn is it just me or is my Over-Caffeinated voice very annoying?

Blackbird
03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
This game is an epic fail, only those that are fan of Star Trek are going to buy this one. xD

EpsilonX
03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Wheres the option for "i like star trek but don't want to play this"

Charlotte
03-28-2010, 12:06 AM
startrek not my interest, but i really love the spaceship battle, but for overall of the game, i thing it's ....

Blackbird
03-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I don't reallly disliked it either but don't feel like to play it, since there is many other free and good MMORPG.

Morticia
04-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Heya Iam New Here, just thought id pop in and say Hello, Iv been checking out this forum as a guest for a few weeks and though it would be polite to say hi.

Thanks.

It would be even more polite of you didn't reopen old threads with irrelevant "Hai I'm new" crap. Thanks, and bye you bot.

BOT BOT BOT.
:]

thedeparted
04-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Cryptic Studios announced the massively multiplayer online role-playing games Champions Online and Star Trek Online within a few months of each other for the PC and consoles in 2008. The PC editions of those games landed to soft critical receptions within a few months of each other in 2009 and 2010, and now the demise of their console editions have also come in lockstep.

The pilot light on those back burners is, in fact, not a cosmic fireball.
With the Atari-owned studio confirming that "there are no current plans for a console version of Champions" in late March, executive producer Craig Zinkievich has said that a similar fate has befallen Star Trek Online. "It's pretty much in the same boat as the Champions console version right now," Zinkievich told UK gaming site VideoGamer.

"It's something we can readily do in terms of technology," he continued. "We've had it up and running on certain consoles and had plans and designs in order to take advantage of those platforms. But as it stands right now, it's a little difficult to make that final leap on the business side of things. So, currently, just like Champions, the console version of Star Trek Online is on the back burner."

Star Trek Online operates independently from any of the events established in the film or television series. Players assume the role of a starship captain operating under the banner of either the United Federation of Planets (better known simply as "the Federation") or the Klingons, who are locked in an intergalactic struggle.

sucks for console owners that wanted this game