PDA

View Full Version : Cleril Calamity Studios Presents: Peekaboo (Demo)

Cleril
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Peekaboo is a psychological horror game in the making. Try out this roughly 20 minute demo if you will.

The demo includes:

Intro

Two puzzles based off of two nursery rhymes. Each unique in their solution but one of them is a little too easy.

Oh, you can die, that should entertain you.

Overall it's roughly 10-20 minutes of gameplay in this demo. Please give me feedback!

PeekabooX.exe (http://www.mediafire.com/?mgomxygwzlw)

jango
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
may i ask, are u looking for feedback? or is ur post just to share it?

Cleril
02-12-2010, 11:07 PM
may i ask, are u looking for feedback? or is ur post just to share it?

I made it, I'd like feedback.

Your free to play it, no restrictions. In the end it's your call if you give feedback but yes, I am looking for it.

Bear in mind it's a demo, not a completed game.

jango
02-25-2010, 01:28 AM
sry for the delay in responding, but here's my feedback .. hopefully u'll take this on the chin

the over-riding thing i found was that the overall design is very bland in the dialogues. having dialogues is fine and all that but there's no real intro, and while you go through the conversations there's no real use of the section above to help put you in the action itself. you seem to rely too heavily on an implied drama .. when in fact for a fresh person to the game there's no implied drama at all, just emptyiness.

the sound effects were ok, if a little sluggish at times, and the music needed more variations before it drove me crazy

once i got into the 'proper' game play i have to admit to being slightly disappointed. there are some nice aspects to what you're trying to do, but it seems you're making a fundamental mistake .. ignoring gameplay and focusing more on story and over-use of text. to me there might be more depth to he gameplay with another engine.

on the whole tho it was ok, but just ok .. i'm pretty sure u could do better if you looked at the overall experience rather than just the story.

hope that's useful to u

Cleril
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
sry for the delay in responding, but here's my feedback .. hopefully u'll take this on the chin

the over-riding thing i found was that the overall design is very bland in the dialogues. having dialogues is fine and all that but there's no real intro, and while you go through the conversations there's no real use of the section above to help put you in the action itself. you seem to rely too heavily on an implied drama .. when in fact for a fresh person to the game there's no implied drama at all, just emptyiness.

the sound effects were ok, if a little sluggish at times, and the music needed more variations before it drove me crazy

once i got into the 'proper' game play i have to admit to being slightly disappointed. there are some nice aspects to what you're trying to do, but it seems you're making a fundamental mistake .. ignoring gameplay and focusing more on story and over-use of text. to me there might be more depth to he gameplay with another engine.

on the whole tho it was ok, but just ok .. i'm pretty sure u could do better if you looked at the overall experience rather than just the story.

hope that's useful to u

I'm not entirely sure where I want to take it, also there is some content (crayon drawings) missing from the game since I didn't have crayons at the time to draw them. The sounds wern't made by me but I have a microphone and am training myself to voice act a bit, using an audio program to adjust pitch to make me sound like the other sound effects.

The piano is meant to be loops. It's something relevant to the story, as are other things. If you go crazy well, that's the point.

jango
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
you might want to look into approaches like "If you go crazy well, that's the point."

anyway, you asked for some feedback and i gave you some. if it's already how u want the game to be then that's cool, but i can only give my opinion. "i'm pretty sure u could do better if you looked at the overall experience rather than just the story."

Cleril
02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
you might want to look into approaches like "If you go crazy well, that's the point."

anyway, you asked for some feedback and i gave you some. if it's already how u want the game to be then that's cool, but i can only give my opinion. "i'm pretty sure u could do better if you looked at the overall experience rather than just the story."

Well, just have the demo done right now, it will be fined tuned and released again with more content. An example of things I'm adding:

Hide and Go Seek Game remix - made in Aviary - music editor
(http://aviary.com/artists/Cleril/creations/hide_and_go_seek_game)

That's not my real voice pitch, edited it.

EpsilonX
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
The piano is meant to be loops. It's something relevant to the story, as are other things. If you go crazy well, that's the point.

I think by this he meant that the piano was annoying and didn't help the experience all that much. it drove him crazy in the same way that an annoying little kid would, not in the way silent hill would.

i'm downloading it right now to see how it is.

Cleril
02-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I think by this he meant that the piano was annoying and didn't help the experience all that much. it drove him crazy in the same way that an annoying little kid would, not in the way silent hill would.

i'm downloading it right now to see how it is.

That's why I said that's the point. It's part of the plot.

Psychological horror like Silent Hill, not exactly and nor does it follow a Silent Hill storyline. It's like Silent Hill, rather than like Resident Evil.

EpsilonX
02-26-2010, 04:14 PM
That's why I said that's the point. It's part of the plot.

Psychological horror like Silent Hill, not exactly and nor does it follow a Silent Hill storyline. It's like Silent Hill, rather than like Resident Evil.

but i said it drove him crazy in a way that silent hill wouldn't. i'm thinking he meant the music pissed him off or something. is that part of the storyline?

anyways, i downloaded this but it wouldn't extract or whatever.

Cleril
02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
but i said it drove him crazy in a way that silent hill wouldn't. i'm thinking he meant the music pissed him off or something. is that part of the storyline?

anyways, i downloaded this but it wouldn't extract or whatever.

Make sure your using a Windows OS or Vista, or it won't work.

That happens sometimes, try not doing anything else but extracting the game and keep extracting. It will eventually work.

The piano-only music is part of the story. It driving him mad is part of the plot in a way, if it made him pissed off then he can always turn it off.

jango
02-27-2010, 12:28 AM
it's not that it bothered me actually, it's more that it didn't really work in the way u intended

Cleril
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
it's not that it bothered me actually, it's more that it didn't really work in the way u intended

I use what I can find that works. Sure, there's plenty of piano stuff out there but those songs in particular struck the right sound that conveys what I need to for the things I need to.

Can't spoil anything, sorry. :twitcy:

jango
02-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Can't spoil anything, sorry. :twitcy:

for me u already did :(

oh well .. i gave my feedback .. moving on to other stuff now ..

Cleril
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
for me u already did :(

oh well .. i gave my feedback .. moving on to other stuff now ..

Eh, my bad....don't worry, you still don't know the whole story. An update will be released soon, with more oomph to the horror and I've taken your feedback into account to make Death more of a stalker.

Samus-Fan
02-27-2010, 09:59 PM
So far, I solved one riddle, and I like it so far!
The piano is ok, I don't mind, it adds feeling for me.
I can't solve the electric riddle, it's making me so mad!

Cleril
02-27-2010, 10:25 PM
So far, I solved one riddle, and I like it so far!
The piano is ok, I don't mind, it adds feeling for me.
I can't solve the electric riddle, it's making me so mad!

Open the window, grab the ring from the drawers, place ring on statue, activate generator. Go back to the statue and the ring's casing is broken revealing the gem

Thanks for playing, glad you liked it. I'm currently focusing on this game so expect an update which adds a lot more oomph to Death's character and the story in general. The next update will include the third rhyme and riddle.

Thanks for the feedback too.

Samus-Fan
02-27-2010, 10:38 PM
The game must have glitched or something, I put the ring on and kept turning the generator on and on and on and it never worked. Restarted it and it worked immediatly.

I actually am looking very forward to the finished product, seems like it'll be great!

And alright, I'll be looking forward to it, maybe put more options avalible for feeling like someone is watching you, those parts were kinda creepy

Cleril
02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
The game must have glitched or something, I put the ring on and kept turning the generator on and on and on and it never worked. Restarted it and it worked immediatly.

I actually am looking very forward to the finished product, seems like it'll be great!

And alright, I'll be looking forward to it, maybe put more options avalible for feeling like someone is watching you, those parts were kinda creepy

I have plans to have Death watching you the entire time. I found a microphone so I can do my own voice overs. The sounds you here now are all things I found. I can edit my voice to sound pretty much like the original ones. The next update also adds those drawings I mentioned which flesh out the riddles and story more of each death.

EpsilonX
02-28-2010, 01:21 PM
so it finally unpacked for me. but now it won't run. =[

edit: so i got it to work. i collected 2 gems but didn't know what to do after...is that where you stopped?

the music in the top left corner was really annoying. and not in the way you expected. you can make music that gets to people without making people not want to play the game. the music in the bottom right was much better. personally, i think you should lower the music volume a bit. it'd make it more effective.

also that "i am death" in the beginning was sorta corny.

its deff not bad, not exactly good wither. its incomplete (obviously) and kinda dull. say "it has to do with the plot" all you want, good gameplay is what makes a good game. it has potential though.

Cleril
02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
so it finally unpacked for me. but now it won't run. =[

edit: so i got it to work. i collected 2 gems but didn't know what to do after...is that where you stopped?

the music in the top left corner was really annoying. and not in the way you expected. you can make music that gets to people without making people not want to play the game. the music in the bottom right was much better. personally, i think you should lower the music volume a bit. it'd make it more effective.

also that "i am death" in the beginning was sorta corny.

its deff not bad, not exactly good wither. its incomplete (obviously) and kinda dull. say "it has to do with the plot" all you want, good gameplay is what makes a good game. it has potential though.

I'll see what happens if I slow it down a bit, that's what I did with the bottom right room. My speakers are all halfway to the top and the game volume is 80/100 which sounds fine to me.

I'm making death speak more throughout the entire thing so it will sound less corny with the additional sounds. I myself didn't make any sounds you hear in the demo, I just found them, I've added my own sounds now.

Very incomplete, as I've said I didn't have crayons or a microphone to add all the content I wanted but now I have so it's more....psychological horror. The next update will add all that new content and at least a new riddle/rhyme, meaning a new room.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm working on Peekaboo right now as my focus so the update should be out soon enough. :D