PDA

View Full Version : Good Mech Games Out There?

Project Blaze
03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I wan't sure where to put this, in the Sony console thread or this one. But I was lookin' for some mech games for the playstation. Only the consoles, I don't have a PSP. Nintendo DS mech games would be ok too, I'm just gettin' back into my livewire gaming again. ^_^

thedeparted
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Tryed out the Gundam games?

EpsilonX
03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I made this topic on the amazon forums not too long ago lol.

Here are some things you can try out

Xenogears (ps1)
Xenosaga series (ps2)
Armored Core series (ps1, ps2, ps3)
Front Mission series (ps1, ps2, DS)
Custom Robo (Gamecube, DS)
There are Macross and Robotech games scattered around a lot of the consoles.

Lost Planet has mechs in them, but its not really a mech game.

Theres all sorts of Gundam games everywhere. Dynasty Warriors Gundam is awesome, cuz you're in a robot and you cut through thousands of robots. button mashing glory.

Project Blaze
03-05-2010, 03:08 PM
lol Thanks. I saw Macross Plus (1, 2, 3, 4). I'll have to look around for some of those Macross games. Custom Robo sounds interesting too. Plus I forgot about Gundam. >_< Thanks for the help! (:

Muffincat
03-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Have you tried any of the Armored Core games?

I didn't particularly like them when I played but one of my ex boyfriends loved them. So. You might, maybe. I dunno.

Project Blaze
03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I tried AC2 and AC2: Another Age, but I'm not sure if I can get all of 'em which is kinda my goal for the year. Kinda a big wall to climb though. :x For me anyway.

Subb
03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
keep climbin dont ever give up. life is worth the struggles in the end cause they only make u stronger

Project Blaze
03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I'll try to. Not sure if I can pull it off though, in a lot of things. Not just getting those games.

Kenoi
03-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I tried out gundam, robotech and uh...
mech warrior... somethin like that (thats how the title goes)
its for xbox. but the 1st two i've mentioned are for ps2.

Project Blaze
03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I found a few Gundam gamez. But I was hopin' to get one that had the whole story in it and didn't start like mid-way through. I couldn't tell which one to get. :\ Was Robotech any good?

BobTD
03-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Other then what has been mentioned here there are a few good mech games such as:

Ring of red (turn based mech combat)
Zone of Enders
Front mission 4

Dont remember if Lost Planet was on the PS3 but it had lots of mech combat in it.

Project Blaze
03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Kewl, thankz ^_^

Muffincat
03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about Zone of the Enders. I really liked that game.

BobTD
03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
there was this arcade game I used to play all the time. I must have spent $50 worth of quarters on the thing, it was like an arcade version of Armored Core for up to two people with a cockpit and everything.My brother and I had some intense battles. Very tough to master.

God I miss that game... cant believe I cant remember the name either.

Project Blaze
03-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Btw I meant to ask about Zone of Enders. What kinda gameplay is it? (Thanks for reminding me, Muffin. (: ) I like turn-based games too.. wonder if I can find Ring of Red anywhere. :\

EpsilonX
03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
well I mentioned zone of the enders...nobody saw it though T.T its by hideo kojima (metal gear solid) if that helps at all. Never played it though.

Macross is pretty much the same as Robotech i believe.

and I downloaded some demo on the ps3 of an old school mech game called thexder neo. i think. it was kinda wack

Btw, mechwarrior is a PC series. The first one was on the NES and the second on PS1 as well, but nothing on the Xbox. You're thinking a different game, which is related to mechwarrior but its not the same. They're rebooting it and putting it on the 360 and the PC.

btw, for armored core, i'd either go with the first one (cuz its the first one) or just jump into the newest ones Armored Core 4 or Armored Core For Answer. Unless you want to wait for Armored Core 5

in terms of Gundam, the games are directed at people who've seen the anime. Try watching the anime and then maybe you'll like the game better

(i love mechs)

Project Blaze
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Is the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam series also like that? Thanks for the info btw!

BobTD
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Btw, mechwarrior is a PC series. The first one was on the NES and the second on PS1 as well, but nothing on the Xbox. You're thinking a different game, which is related to mechwarrior but its not the same. They're rebooting it and putting it on the 360 and the PC.

The Xbox titles that branched off from Mechwarrior where called Mechassault, and they where incredibly frustrating to the Mechwarrior fans.

Mechwarrior is an action mech simulation, trying to remain semi realistic and the mech are built to work in teams called "lances".

Mechassault was an arcady 3rd person run and gun that pitted even light recon mechs up against 6-7 heavy mechs at a time and you would still win, something that is just not possible. With ammo drops and invincibility items it was not what fans wanted or expected. it really alienated the Mechwarrior audience, so us Mechwarrior fans pretend it doesn't exist.

Mechassualt might be enjoyable if you have never played any of the other games in the series. But it doesn't live up to the Mechwarrior feel.

btw, for armored core, I would either go with the first one (cuz its the first one) or just jump into the newest ones Armored Core 4 or Armored Core For Answer. Unless you want to wait for Armored Core 5

The PS2 games are some of the best ones in the series. Armored Core3 and Silent Line together being my favorite.

Armored core 4 was terrible, even a step backwards for the series. The two main reasons being they did not have the same game mechanics (introducing the new quick dash) as well and giving you a new controller layout. And on top of that you could not change the controls.

4Answer was probably the biggest step forward for the series, it fixed the control issues and better balanced some of the gameplay issues and made dashing a balanced part of combat. It also includes a new co-operative mode offline. However online most people still use broken tactics like infinite flight and missiles you probably wont be able to dodge. But they did introduce 3 playable plots, when you beat one you can carry over data to the next, and can be completed in any order. As well as many more new game features such as combat vs. giant fortresses ect.

I expect AC5 to be pretty good, seems to be part of the AC4A setting. So its worth getting AC4A before it comes out if you can.

Project Blaze
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll concentrate on the PS2 AC games and earlier. ^_^

EpsilonX
03-08-2010, 05:13 PM
The Xbox titles that branched off from Mechwarrior where called Mechassault, and they where incredibly frustrating to the Mechwarrior fans.

Mechwarrior is an action mech simulation, trying to remain semi realistic and the mech are built to work in teams called "lances".

Mechassault was an arcady 3rd person run and gun that pitted even light recon mechs up against 6-7 heavy mechs at a time and you would still win, something that is just not possible. With ammo drops and invincibility items it was not what fans wanted or expected. it really alienated the Mechwarrior audience, so us Mechwarrior fans pretend it doesn't exist.

Mechassualt might be enjoyable if you have never played any of the other games in the series. But it doesn't live up to the Mechwarrior feel.

Well ive played Mechassault and I own mechwarrior 2 (haven't played it in years though) so I know what they are. No need to lecture

As for armored core, I've played both the original and 4. I liked em both.

BobTD
03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not lecturing. =P

You are free to offer as much advise as you want. I have all of the Mechwarrior games and love them dearly, so it was important to me to clear up the difference between Mechassault and Mechwarrior.