PDA

View Full Version : console help

call2coll
07-14-2007, 09:41 PM
First thing to know is that I am no gamer, and indeed know very little beyond what I have been told in stores over the last couple of days.
I am looking to buy a games console for my kids and could really do with some expert help. I have two kids, 6 and 13 and they have a now defunct xbox 1.
I like the look, and price, of the wii, but the oldest won't entertain it, so we are really looking at the ps3 and 360.
I am leaning towards the ps3 because of the price drop, but more importantly it can play all the old games from ps1 and 2. For my youngest this seems better as most of the new games I saw don't seem to suit a 13 year old girl and 6 year old boy.
I need to know if my reasoning is good, or am I about to make a rather expensive mistake.
All comments welcome, and thanks in advance for your help

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
well i would have suggested the wii lol but it seems it wont satisfy your 13 yr old, has your 13 yr old played the wii yet? I've played it and im almost 18 now and i enjoyed it very much, its interactive

now between the PS3 and Xbox - they both have about the same type of graphics if you dont have a HDTV - xbox 360 should be able to play xbox games although im not 100% sure.

The PS3 is still pricier and if you want to spend money on that you can. The xbox 360 in statistics is more popular than the PS3.

I would actually try out the wii somewhere and see if they like it, its friendlier to all ages than the other two consoles.

Good luck!

FattaT
07-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Personally I think if you have a 13 year old girl and a 6 year old boy you would be far better off with a Wii, I am 17 and think its great for all ages with a wide range of games under the mature rating. Also a lot of new good games are coming out in the near future with the multilayer wireless compatibility.

The Wii and PS3 are both fully backward compatible for there previous console games. The Xbox 360 only plays a limited amount of past Xbox 1 games. But for the Wii, you have to download and pay for past games which is a bugger.

I personally have my Wii chipped so I can just burn/download games, I think you can probably do that with PS3 and Xbox but I'm not 100% sure.

call2coll
07-14-2007, 10:10 PM
How do you get it chipped? What exactly is it? Excuse the ignorance please.

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
please dont double post, deleted one of your posts

i dont know what chipped is for sure only a wii owner that had it done can tell u - but im assuming its where you can connect to the internet and download the games off the wii site or something, paid of course, and burn onto disk to play later on

just a modification, im sure you can request one with it

FattaT
07-14-2007, 10:18 PM
How do you get it chipped? What exactly is it? Excuse the ignorance please.

I will send you a PM.

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 10:25 PM
mind telling the rest of us too? lol, unless its not "legal" lol

FattaT
07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Well I think it may not be legal =P.

A Mod Chip is what you said, its a chip you have to solder onto you consoles circuit board to allow you to play downloaded and burnt games. ( So you could borrow some1's legit game and burn it so that you have a working copy yourself for free)

Some shops do it under the counter, so they do not advertise that they chip consoles, they just get advertised by word of mouth.

N/B. If you open your console up, you probably void any warranty!

TheKing
07-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I would love to help you but right now i only have the three sixty i dont the playstation three yet, however on thing i like about the xbox three sixty is that while playing your videogames you can play your own music stored on the system or connect ya ipod or any personal mp3 player. I dont think that is possible with the playstation 2. and also if you plan on getting a 360, plz get the black version because it has more memory trust me on this

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 10:40 PM
ohhhh, i wonder if i can do that with my dam psp lol :D - it doesnt sound completely legal but some places may let it pass

call2coll
07-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I knew they did this for the ps2/3 and 360, but I never knew about the wii.

I am living in Mexico right now and pirate games for the ps3 and 360 are only $2.50, this can make a big dif to the affordability of any console

I would love to help you but right now i only have the three sixty i dont the playstation three yet, however on thing i like about the xbox three sixty is that while playing your videogames you can play your own music stored on the system or connect ya ipod or any personal mp3 player. I dont think that is possible with the playstation 2. and also if you plan on getting a 360, plz get the black version because it has more memory trust me on this

Why would extra memory be an advantage? What is it used for?

FattaT
07-14-2007, 10:52 PM
call2coll please don't double post again, just 'edit' your previous post. Thanks!

ohhhh, i wonder if i can do that with my dam psp lol :D - it doesnt sound completely legal but some places may let it pass

Actually you can do something similar on the PSP. You have to put a special disc inside it, and just play games of your memory stick.
About 10+ of my friends at school do this.

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 10:56 PM
thats not illegal, PSP manual tells you how to do that lol, but it has to be compatible with psp or with that disk you can play a lot more games as you've said

FattaT
07-14-2007, 10:57 PM
thats not illegal, PSP manual tells you how to do that lol, but it has to be compatible with psp or with that disk you can play a lot more games as you've said

But the games they are playing are all downloaded for free. =S

Why would extra memory be an advantage? What is it used for?

I guess it will let the games run more smoothly, and if your wanting to play music and/or other things at the same time, it wont lag or have any problems. (I think thats right, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
But the games they are playing are all downloaded for free. =S

ahh, then that could be a little problem unless the license is free on those games lol, like the arcade, all games are public licenses available for free download

FattaT
07-14-2007, 11:28 PM
UPDATE:
I found out off my brother (and I think its the same in America and Mexico) that it is not illegal to chip you consoles or for shops to do them. The only thing that is illegal is burning games.

LiNuX
07-14-2007, 11:42 PM
i was wondering on that part but the new gen consoles do have burn feature, shouldnt have done that then huh

call2coll
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. I took your advice and dragged my oldest downtown to see the wii. I still have to work on her a little, but I think I will go for the wii.
I also checked the chip for the wii and it can be done without any problems.
You've been a big help

lonewolfxix
07-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Burning games isn't the illegal part, obtaining unofficial games via means of downloading/purchasing from the black market is illegal, it is perfectly legal to take one of your games, rip it to your PC and then burn off backups to use instead of the original disc to keep value, avoid data loss etc.

ALSO: the xbox 360 ELITE (Black edition) has like 6x the space, this is useful for downloading demos, copying games onto the console (illegal and slightly hard as you need to void the warranty totally) it also has a HDMI cable so as to view high definition videos on your HDTV. If you have technical experience you can go to any PC store or walmart, buy a 2.5inch laptop drive on the S-ATA 3G interface, for example a 120gb and then put it in your S-ATA compatible PC and then format the harddrive into 20GB partitions, when you put it into your xbox 360 it will show all the partitions as harddrives, you can also make folders how you want, it's a much better way of organising files. Xbox 360 Black Edition as you call it but how the rest of us call it the Xbox 360 ELITE is only useful if you have a HDTV and wish to view games and movies in HD which isn't possible on the movie side unless you purchase the $200 HD-DVD expansion.

ALSO NOTE: In most cases the Xbox 360 ELITE is NOT supplied with a harddrive UNLESS otherwise stated in the advert.

Gamoc
07-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, it's acquiring of a game from the internet without paying for it, or without already owning the game. (It's legal to download a game if you own the game already, that is - if you've bought a game, you are allowed to download it off the internet).

LiNuX
07-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I took your advice and dragged my oldest downtown to see the wii. I still have to work on her a little, but I think I will go for the wii.
I also checked the chip for the wii and it can be done without any problems.
You've been a big help

no problem, enjoy it - and tell us what you get and how it works out if you can later :D

charic
08-01-2007, 05:18 AM
The wii is great!

LiNuX
08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
The wii is great!

i'd appreciate it if you could say a bit more than just what you have said, it really doesnt have much post value, next one can result in an infraction

thank you!