PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Addiction - new diagnosis

TheKing
07-16-2007, 12:23 PM
"
By LINDSEY TANNER - AP Medical Writer
CHICAGO(AP) The telltale signs are ominous: teens holing up in their rooms, ignoring friends, family, even food and a shower, while grades plummet and belligerence soars.
The culprit isn't alcohol or drugs. It's video games, which for certain kids can be as powerfully addictive as heroin, some doctors contend.
A leading council of the nation's largest doctors' group wants to have this behavior officially classified as a psychiatric disorder, to raise awareness and enable sufferers to get insurance coverage for treatment.
In a report prepared for the American Medical Association's annual policy meeting starting Saturday in Chicago, the council asks the group to lobby for the disorder to be included in a widely used mental illness manual created and published by the American Psychiatric Association. AMA delegates could vote on the proposal as early as Monday.
It likely won't happen without heated debate. Video game makers scoff at the notion that their products can cause a psychiatric disorder. Even some mental health experts say labeling the habit a formal addiction is going too far.
Dr. James Scully, the psychiatric association's medical director, said the group will seriously consider the AMA report in the long process of revising the diagnostic manual. The current manual was published in 1994; the next edition is to be completed in 2012.
Up to 90 percent of American youngsters play video games and as many as 15 percent of them _ more than 5 million kids _ may be addicted, according to data cited in the AMA council's report.
Joyce Protopapas of Frisco, Texas, said her 17-year-old son, Michael, was a video addict. Over nearly two years, video and Internet games transformed him from an outgoing, academically gifted teen into a reclusive manipulator who flunked two 10th grade classes and spent several hours day and night playing a popular online video game called World of Warcraft.

"

Is This You?

Gamoc
07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh for God's sake, now other typical teenage behaviour is being blamed on video games. Stop taking the easy way out and try to HELP the child, instead of launching yourselves at the throats of game developers.

Eric
07-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Yep, this is me, although I am not addicted.

Failed 2 10th grade classes ;)

Gamoc
07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
I failed 4 of my GCSE's, but it had nothing to do with games, I'm just lazy... :/

Eric
07-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Me too, hence the username ;)

Gamoc
07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Ah yes. My username is my initials... exciting, huh?

Eric
07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
yep it is ;)

lonewolfxix
07-17-2007, 03:02 PM
It's a shame how everything these days that's wrong with kids is mystically linked to videogames, I failed at school because I didn't bother going and I'm lazy, I didn't fail because I was playing videogames, I think you'll find the ones who do bad in school either do that because of this thing called BAD PARENTING or this other one called laziness or a third reason which is they get bullied and are depressed so stay home wishing they could be their character in a game and don't take showers because they see no reason to shower. leave videogames alone, it's all some people have to escape reality. Would parents prefer their kids to be taking drugs? or if all videogames were banned, all kids turn to drugs, infact, kids here do both, what are you going to do? sue Iraq and the Netherlands and Columbia and wherever else for turning your child into a drug addict? It's the kids choice, and their choices are because of how they've been treated by their family and peers.

FattaT
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi,
My names Tom... i WAS a counter-strike addict...
I have overcome my addiction and found that playing games achieved nothing and got me no where!

There, rehabilitation over!
=P

lonewolfxix
07-18-2007, 05:22 AM
By saying that you're saying you agree that people become addicted to games and that is why they fail at school? I believe people can easily play a lot of games and still be good at school and do all the normal things. It's just it's got to be in moderation, it's the parents and teachers responsibility to make a good impression on the child in their early stages so they don't turn to video games later in life as a means of escaping reality.

LiNuX
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi,
My names Tom... i WAS a counter-strike addict...
I have overcome my addiction and found that playing games achieved nothing and got me no where!

There, rehabilitation over!
=P

hey we have something i common now lol, i used to be a cs addict, along with DBZ and R.O.S.E. and a lot of other games, i barely get the chance to play much tehse days

Eric
07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I was a crazy addict once. Not so much anymore ;)

Gerrit
07-26-2007, 10:54 PM
I suffer from game addiction I guess, But hey, it's only a minor one :)

Gamoc
08-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Now, I'm not saying I'm addicted, but I got Pokemon Diamond about 44 hours ago, and I've played 21 hours 42 minutes.

And to accomplish this, the day I got it (wednesday) I only went to sleep at 4:10 in the morning, got up at 12pm, played ALL day, until about 11 this morning (no, I didn't sleep at all last night, because I was play Pokemon).

Wow. It's a good game.

LiNuX
08-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Now, I'm not saying I'm addicted, but I got Pokemon Diamond about 44 hours ago, and I've played 21 hours 42 minutes.

And to accomplish this, the day I got it (wednesday) I only went to sleep at 4:10 in the morning, got up at 12pm, played ALL day, until about 11 this morning (no, I didn't sleep at all last night, because I was play Pokemon).

Wow. It's a good game.

thats what i call temporary addiction, u'll get over it later like i did with older versions of pokemon lol :spinny:

S70N3DG4M3R
08-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Oh for God's sake, now other typical teenage behaviour is being blamed on video games. Stop taking the easy way out and try to HELP the child, instead of launching yourselves at the throats of game developers.

I totally agree. Teens have been doing the same stuff for years and since videogames have come along nothing has changed their behavior. People who hate videogames because they think that there destructive should change their tampon (including jack thomson) and get over it.

S70N3DG4M3R
08-05-2007, 04:58 AM
This is kind of off the subject but speaking of pokemon, I reciantly got addicted to blue version. This is what my pokemon line up was:
Mew
Mewtwo
Moltres
Zapidos
Articuno
none

FattaT
08-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Nice line up.

(Please don't double post, use the edit button on ur previous post)