PDA

View Full Version : Explosion causes fire near midtown Manhattan train station

LiNuX
07-18-2007, 06:04 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A transformer exploded Wednesday afternoon near Manhattan's Grand Central train station, possibly a result of steam underground, New York Police Department told CNN.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/07/18/new.york.explosion/art.transformer.wabc.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif
from the scene shows what appears to be steam billowing from underground and a small school bus with its windows and a door blown out.

Jim Margolin in the FBI's New York office said there is no indication that there is anything "suspicious" behind the explosion, though the FBI is still collecting information from city agencies and officials.

The New York Fire Department said it received a call reporting an explosion at 5:56 p.m.

More than 170 firefighters have been dispatched to the site at Lexington Avenue near 41st Street.

No injuries were reported, according to New York Office of Emergency Management.

Subway lines near the explosion have been rerouted to alternate lines bypassing the Grand Central station stop, according to the Metropolitan Transit Authority.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/18/new.york.explosion/index.html - find the story in this link

some people have been saying its a terrorist attack which i think is BS since there were no injuries and it was just water that exploded and turned into fire somehow, steam is very hot and dangerous

any thoughts?

Eric
07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah, they will call anything a terrorist attack these days

LiNuX
07-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, they will call anything a terrorist attack these days

thats probably true but we'll have to wait to get more news from them to see what exactly caused it, something about an on going investigation there

Eric
07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
What was the verdict in the end? I was watching it, but got bored

LiNuX
08-02-2007, 01:24 AM
was something about how the pressure in the steam got overloaded, no terrorist attack lol, maybe next time

lonewolfxix
08-02-2007, 08:26 AM
It's stupid to call everything a terrorist attack, just because such big cities in our countries have been hit by terrorist attacks the war is practically over as far as I'm concerned, They're running low and our troops are giving them enough trouble in Iraq, why blame terrorists? It's just ancient structures giving away to erosion.

LiNuX
08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
lol, i agree with lonewolf completly but now these big countries are just looking for people to blame because they dont want to blame themselves, its pretty stupid, 9/11 was the last attack on the US, well the one that im aware of but then they have been trying to blame many other things on terrorists

example: when cory lidle from the New York Yankees crashed his plane into a NYC Building after losing control - the media's first reaction was terrorists until investigators found lidle's body

there is a topic on that here: http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=343

lonewolfxix
08-02-2007, 10:32 AM
There was a bombing in London about a month ago I think, they bombed the main US Currency exchange and they also tried bombing Glasgow I think (I'm not sure if my facts are straight so don't quote me on this) I doubt they'll touch America again due to the fact of the few thousand miles of ocean in the way it's a lot of money to plan an attack like that making it practically unthinkable for them but where as the UK you can swim/row a boat etc. to Europe buy a $500 car and drive to the UK from there making it a much more likely target. Haha, funny thought, but a lot of people do use boats to get across borders... I read a funny motto while in London which everyone seems to follow

"A successful person is someone who can find other people to blame for their mistakes."
Very truthful.

LiNuX
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
i agree with the quote 100%, thats why there are so many successful people out there in the first place, they "never" do anything wrong, its always the guy sitting 3000 miles away

lonewolfxix
08-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I myself blame Galaxy Graphics Card producers of China for my faulty graphics card, it came weird and very dodgy, now it's totally broke and they won't have a thing to do with it :D It makes me feel happier that I blame them. (and technically I should, it's 6months old and I have old nVidia TNT2's that still work.. and they're 1997)