PDA

View Full Version : Good memory company?

Eric
07-22-2007, 05:11 PM
What is a good reputable company that makes memory? I don't know anything about the companies that i have seen, so I thought I would ask if anybody knew any good ones.

- Slacker

lonewolfxix
07-23-2007, 07:16 AM
So memory being RAM? I've personally used Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair are good for low latencies and high quality products and also have a great warranty, Crucial are in my experience better for server memory, Kingston is more of a company aimed between the standard desktop and a gaming machine, other good companies are G.Skill, GEIL, OCZ and Mushkin, I'm personally planning to buy some G.Skill later this year for my new rig if i can afford it, I currently run Corsair in my pc, Crucial in my brother's and kingston in my sister's :P If you list what you need (type, speed, etc.) I can name some good modules, or you can name your pc spec I can name some modules that will suit your PC perfectly =)) Or Recommend an upgrade XD

LiNuX
07-23-2007, 09:52 AM
i would say kingston and corsair too - i have both brands in this pc, but at the end most of them will give you the same quality, well to me they all seemed the same, still seems the same lol, in performance i mean and i've changed memory in this pc a few times already

Eric
07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
So memory being RAM? I've personally used Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair are good for low latencies and high quality products and also have a great warranty, Crucial are in my experience better for server memory, Kingston is more of a company aimed between the standard desktop and a gaming machine, other good companies are G.Skill, GEIL, OCZ and Mushkin, I'm personally planning to buy some G.Skill later this year for my new rig if i can afford it, I currently run Corsair in my pc, Crucial in my brother's and kingston in my sister's :P If you list what you need (type, speed, etc.) I can name some good modules, or you can name your pc spec I can name some modules that will suit your PC perfectly =)) Or Recommend an upgrade XD

i would say kingston and corsair too - i have both brands in this pc, but at the end most of them will give you the same quality, well to me they all seemed the same, still seems the same lol, in performance i mean and i've changed memory in this pc a few times already

Ok, sounds good. Don't plan to upgrade until later this year, but I am looking now :)

For lone, if you wanted specifics:

Dell Optiplex GX50
Intel Celeron
1.2GHz Speed
256mb Ram
200gb HD
WinXP Pro

Simply took from the rig section in profile :)

I know it is not the best for gaming now, but I didn't buy it to be. This was more for school than for play, with casual gaming. Plan on building a gaming computer later next year

lonewolfxix
07-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Looks like it requires SDRAM PC133, judging by it's 1.2ghz cpu speed which shows either 133bus x9 cpu multi or 100bus x12 cpu multi.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to buy RAM brand new for that, probably better of looking at eBay, I bought a 512mb stick of Crucial PC133 off there for about $30 a year or 2 ago and it's extremely fast for such old ram, it's running in my dad's Duron 800 right now.

High performance RAM isn't really a requirement for a standard PC so you can buy Infineon which their SD RAM is pretty nice i've used it a few times.

Linux: different RAM brands always will have different speeds and will also vary from configuration to configuration and the biggest differences are mainly in synthetic benchmarks which don't really show any performance gain in real world applications such as gaming or photo editing etc.

Here's a pc133 512mb SD RAM stick for $30:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-512MB-SDRAM-PC133-NON-ECC-RAM-168PIN-DESKTOP-MEMORY_W0QQitemZ150142746377QQihZ005QQcategoryZ149 18QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eric
07-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Looks like it requires SDRAM PC133, judging by it's 1.2ghz cpu speed which shows either 133bus x9 cpu multi or 100bus x12 cpu multi.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to buy RAM brand new for that, probably better of looking at eBay, I bought a 512mb stick of Crucial PC133 off there for about $30 a year or 2 ago and it's extremely fast for such old ram, it's running in my dad's Duron 800 right now.

High performance RAM isn't really a requirement for a standard PC so you can buy Infineon which their SD RAM is pretty nice i've used it a few times.

Linux: different RAM brands always will have different speeds and will also vary from configuration to configuration and the biggest differences are mainly in synthetic benchmarks which don't really show any performance gain in real world applications such as gaming or photo editing etc.

Here's a pc133 512mb SD RAM stick for $30:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-512MB-SDRAM-PC133-NON-ECC-RAM-168PIN-DESKTOP-MEMORY_W0QQitemZ150142746377QQihZ005QQcategoryZ149 18QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. Yeah, right now it has a 256mb infineon, and my friend just gave me another 256mb infineon stick from another desktop similiar to mine, so I will have to test it out later.

Do you think 1024mb would be enough? I was thinking of going for 2gb or something, but this computer is not really a gaming computer. It will see casual gaming, but not a lot, cause i plan to build a full on gaming computer later on.