PDA

View Full Version : 20 bucks for a IMAX ticket?

thedeparted
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Ever since Avatar won the all-time box office record, it came with an asterisk. While the average price of a movie ticket in America currently stands at $7.95, many audiences were paying as much as $15 per ticket to see the James Cameron film in IMAX 3D, rationalizing the exorbitant cost by telling themselves IMAX 3D was the only proper way to see the film. We'll see if those rationalizations hold up when the cost of a single IMAX 3D ticket hits $20.

The Wall Street Journal reports that four AMC Loews theaters in Manhattan will be charging that much for IMAX 3D tickets to Shrek Forever After this weekend. This price hike comes only two months after an increase in late March which saw ticket prices go up 26% in some places. Thanks in large part to these increases, box office numbers are up 6% from the same point last year.

What the article fails to mention is that three of the theaters, AMC Loews 34, AMC Empire 25 and the AMC Kips Bay, aren't even legitimate IMAX theaters, but rather Digital IMAX (known to many as LIEMAX), making the price change burn just a little more. So how are audiences going to feel about this change? Unfortunately, the final weekend numbers probably won't tell the story as to how well the film performed in New York City alone, so speak out in the comments section: would you ever purchase a movie ticket that requires you to pull President Jackson out of your wallet?

I really hope the people of Manhattan area skip these 4 theaters. 20 bucks to view a movie is outrageous

LiNuX
05-21-2010, 02:08 PM
I think it's more expensive here...There is a theater near me, less than a mile away, and the average ticket there is about $10 each. I haven't been to IMAX since I was really young and I don't remember what the price was then.

thedeparted
05-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, but the things that hangs me up. That Avatar which released not too long ago had IMAX prices for 15 and there already raising them for Shrek. I think it may there little experiment to see how much people are willing to pay for IMAX blockbusters

LiNuX
05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
yeah but If I have to make a prediction, their revenue will go up but sales will go down. And It'll probably be worth it for them anyway.

Jokersvirus
05-21-2010, 04:28 PM
They say its to test the economy... Kinda hard to do when bills keep going up and income keeps going down and we can only afford maybe... 9 bucks a ticket.

Iceskater101
05-21-2010, 10:03 PM
20 bucks is way to expensive
here i think its 11 bucks?

Subb
05-21-2010, 11:21 PM
id never pay that much to go see a movie, thats just ridiculous

Jokersvirus
05-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Ya IMAX is expensive i had to spend 50 bucks, 50 to take myself and my ex girlfriend to see the 3D Harry potter, I think it was... number 5?

Endgameko
05-22-2010, 11:58 AM
In the uk cinema they can charge like £10.50 to see a 3D movie, and it's wrong, if your a student you get a discount but not much. I remember when cinema tickets cost like £3.80 wtf happened?!

jango
05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
In the uk cinema they can charge like £10.50 to see a 3D movie, and it's wrong, if your a student you get a discount but not much. I remember when cinema tickets cost like £3.80 wtf happened?!

i think that's regional too endgame .. i don't pay as much as that, but to me it's still expensive

EpsilonX
05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
i saw avatar 3D in a regular theater for like $12 i think it was.

GameResearch
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
It costs that much where I live. Seems ridiculous! Honestly, I'd rather rent a movie and watch it at home on my comfy couch with a bag of microwave popcorn!