PDA

View Full Version : heavy metal banned in russian city

EpsilonX
05-22-2010, 08:16 PM
A Russian city has banned heavy metal gigs in a bid to save the city's youth, according to Russian media.

The West Russia city of Belgorod took the action under the orders of Governor Evgenie Savchenko, who wanted to "promote the suppression of satanic activity," reports Russia-Infocentre.

The head of the Consumer Market Department of Belgorod, who enacted the request -- banning heavy metal performances in cafés, cubs and restaurants -- apparently said that he did not know much about the music but acted on behalf of Savchenko to ensure "maintenance of spiritual safety of the Belgorod region."

Officials of the Regional Department of Education, Culture and Youth Policy of Belgorod, however, have said that Savchenko merely asked the region to pay closer attention to unruly youth practices.

It is not the first time heavy metal shows have found themselves under scrutiny. In 2005, Lamb of God were banned from playing at the Forum in Los Angeles at the request of the Faithful Central Bible Church -- who own the venue -- because of the band's name.

And in 2007, Machine Head's show in Anaheim, Calif. was cancelled less than 48 hours before the gig was due to take place after Walt Disney Properties, who own the land on which the venue House of Blues stands, pulled the plug due to the band's alleged violent and inflammatory nature.

Heavy Metal Shows Banned in Russian City - Spinner (http://www.spinner.com/2010/05/21/heavy-metal-shows-banned-russian-city/?icid=main)

that's stupid i think. I mean, there are some individual artists that i could understand banning (like cannibal corpse, because of their lyrics and merchandise) but theres a lot of heavy metal that promotes good things too.

thedeparted
05-22-2010, 08:23 PM
ahh look the conservatives trying to push their values onto others. f- them. It doesn't effect me one way or the other but they should overturn this asap

Jokersvirus
05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
lol thats funny