PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect .. the .. er .. movie??

jango
05-25-2010, 03:29 AM
From gamespot ..

EA/BioWare pens deal with Legendary Pictures to bring the world of Commander Shepard to the big screen; I Am Legend, Thor movie writer in talks to pen script.

The last time word surfaced about a possible film adaptation of futuristic actioner Mass Effect, it appeared that a film version was still a distant reality, with BioWare project director Casey Hudson saying the company was just "looking at [their] options." It seems that the option-seeking timeframe has already concluded, with confirmation today that Legendary Pictures has signed a deal with EA and BioWare to produce a film based on the expansive sci-fi game universe.

According to Deadline New York, the Mass Effect 2 film will be co-financed and distributed by Warner Bros. Writer Mark Protosevich--who wrote the screenplay for I Am Legend and the upcoming Thor film--is said to be in talks to pen the script. Mass Effect isn't the only game-based title on Legendary's slate, with the company also working on a World of Warcraft movie being helmed by Spider-man director Sam Raimi. The game's story follows the adventures of Commander Shepard, whose ongoing mission is to stop an impending galactic invasion of a seemingly all-powerful alien race known as the Reapers.

No details yet on whether Shepard will be a man or a woman in the film.

Mass Effect joins a growing list of game-to-film adaptation currently in the works. Apart from the aforementioned Warcraft film, TV network SyFy is making a telefilm based on THQ's Red Faction games, while Warner Bros. is on track to produce another Mortal Kombat film. The much-discussed Gears of War film, however, seems to be in limbo, with recent numerous setbacks befalling the project.

Jokersvirus
05-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Oh god... I would love to see this on the big screen but they need to do the movie some justice!!

I hope they follow the storyline, without all the other extra stuff involved and keep it true to the story..

heres to hoping /drink

LiNuX
05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I haven't even played the game. So I probably won't be one of the guys going "that's not how it's supposed to happen"

thedeparted
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah I need to play the games as well, but I dunno will have to wait and see. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out as more details surface

Iceskater101
05-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I heard about this
hmm.
I personally think this a bad idea but we shall see

tay823
05-26-2010, 02:23 AM
oh oops i just made a thread about this, I need to look harder from now on >_< But I really really really really hope they don't mess it up cuz i love mass effect

HamadaLFC8
05-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Haven't played it either, but I really don't like the idea that they are starting to make a movie about everything -.-

What's next ?
Sims - The Movie? -.-

Diligence109
05-26-2010, 08:08 AM
We've seen such a strange flux of video games being turned into movies. Don't they know that it's always worked the other way around? Strange times these are... strange times...

jango
05-26-2010, 08:56 AM
The thing I don't quite get is that once you remove the gameplay/rpg elements from Mass Effect the story itself, or at least the premise of it, is actually quite basic and derivative. I can't quite see it being more than a standard sci-fi flick unless they do something cool with it, because on it's own (without the gaming side as part of the mix) I'm not sure it'll stand up on it's own merits.

However, who knows these days .. I thought Miley Cyrus was pure evil and a boil on the arse of humanity, but someone, somewhere, likes her brand of failsauce ..

Kenoi
05-26-2010, 10:18 AM
I played both games a little bit... but... I dont know, we'll have to see if they follow the story.

tay823
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I remembered hearing about a metal gear movie in development years a go but luckily it was scrapped. Can you imagine what that movie would have been like? There is wayyyy too much depth in those games to capture it in a movie or at least that's my opinion about it.

Kenoi
05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
also, I heard there's gonna be a 'shadow of colossus' thats gonna be made. well, being in script development I believe, I dont know, I wish I had the source on me, I saw it in a magazine one time.
But c'mon now, the game is already like a movie. haha.

Jokersvirus
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh its not hard to capture the depth of a game and turn it. Remember Hollywood will destroy the game storyline and make it the way they want it for the movie. IE Prince of Persia.

jango
05-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh its not hard to capture the depth of a game and turn it. Remember Hollywood will destroy the game storyline and make it the way they want it for the movie. IE Prince of Persia.

Makes you wonder why they don't just call the movie 'I like turtles' if they go that route .. if it wasn't economic suicide ofc ..

Jokersvirus
05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Makes you wonder why they don't just call the movie 'I like turtles' if they go that route .. if it wasn't economic suicide ofc ..

one thing i would like to know is why not talk to the fans about how the movie should be played out.

We have more experience in knowing the video games than the people making the movie do!

jango
05-26-2010, 04:03 PM
fair point tbh joker .. imo they'd be missing a huge trick if they ignored that and went down the 'lost in space' road .. paved with fail