PDA

View Full Version : Review Splinter Cell Conviction Xbox360

Jokersvirus
05-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Sam Fisher is back in another exciting installment of the Splinter cell series. This time its personal and he wants some names and five minutes alone with select persons.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell_Conviction.jpg
Background Story: In the latest edition of Splinter Cell, Sam Fisher is just trying to get away from the Third Echelon, which was the agency he worked for before his daughter was murdered and he stopped giving a crap about anything.

You are contacted by an "old friend" who informs you that a person has information about the death of your daughter which pretty much lights a fire inside of him and he starts moving and capping anyone in his way.
We start learning more and more throughout the game that something isn’t right about how this agency is just using Sam over and over with the memory of his dead daughter to help them get what they want.
Well Sam plays by the agency's rules for now and does what they ask. Later on this "old friend" informs your daughter isn’t dead, by this time we know a few key facts, the third echelon can’t kill you, there is a plan in place to set off EMP devices and there is a plan in place to kill the president once Washington is dark.
By the end of the game we find out that key players involved in having your daughter killed to get you to do what people wanted. Finally you meet the man that has given you hell for the past several hours made you starch your brain going wtf, and send wave after wave to kill you. What do you do, kill him, or let him live? Well if you want to be the nice guy you let him live, but if you’re mad and want to end it yourself, you can be a bad guy. Either way works, he gets what he has coming.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/splinter-cell-conviction-mission-objective-gameplay-screenshot.jpg
Game-play: It allows you to do whatever you want, to an extent. Pretty much if you want to run in with a silenced weapon and kill everything that walks, talks, and looks at you cross eyed, you can, but certain levels you have to be a ninja or you will fail the mission; there is only one or two of those type of missions. It is awesome they bought into play a new concept for the Splinter Cell series which is execution, pretty much you have to kill someone with a hand to hand execution and you get the ability to use this other execution. What you do is target up to 3 enemies and hit Y and it will head shot all of them. Another cool concept is when your cover is blown a shadow image of you appears and all the enemy thinks you’re at that one spot giving you time to run and reposition yourself, this is a great move because you can be outnumber go somewhere else and pop a few skulls open and be on your merry way. Also they allow you to set up your shots in public to kill someone, since in some areas you will not be seen as an enemy, for a short time, you can just lock and load and kill him.
You can upgrade weapons by getting points, which is a little hard to do because you have to do certain things, and those get annoying to do, and can blow your cover.
Some are getting so many head shots, alert some guards’ throw a flash bang and kill them. Stuff like that, but for the first few missions you have no idea what’s going on and you get mad because there are at least 2-4 weapon upgrade post in every level. Also you can pick up weapons from the enemy you kill which is sweet, but every time you do even at the very end it will "remind" you that you have picked up a weapon that isn't silenced and the enemies will hear you.
It does get annoying but since you have unlimited ammo with your pistol but it doesn't really help out that much when you got like 50 enemies and 12 rounds and no executions to use.

As in a lot of other games you can use enemies as human shields or when you need information out of certain people you can use the environment around you to help them remember the answers to the questions you have. When you execute your human shield it does stink it doesn't count towards your mark and execute. One downfall to that is if you get many hand to hand combat executions kills they don’t stack up and you are left with only one mark and execute.
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/168154-splinter-cell-conviction-screenshot.jpg

Online play: I didn’t get a chance to tinker with it, but from what I can tell from some research is that it is 4 players vs. 4 AI in different game types, Hunter, Infiltration, Last Stand, and Face-Off. You also have online Co-op.

Graphics: I enjoyed them, they added something new in this which I haven't seen before which is they project the objective onto the walls or play movie clips on the ways. For example when you’re trying to find the person who killed your daughter it plays a clip of her getting hit. Ubisoft has stated that is used to help move the story along and to bring the player closer to Sam. They also added feature where if you are in complete dark the screen goes completely grayish to give the sense that you are truly invisible at that moment. later on in the game when you are able to use your goggles like in the other games it is cool, there is no color and it is hard to judge where the enemy is without removing the goggles and putting them back on, but they are very helpful in knowing where they are hiding at lol.
http://fidgit.com/assets_c/2010/04/Splinter_Cell_Conviction_wallet_threat-thumb-550x309-37064.jpg

Storyline: The storyline is a beautiful one, ya I said, It gives you the sense that "Wow Sam's kid was killed I'm going to break my foot off in someone." They reinforce this with different videos and flash back memories you involved with. The main story line is to find the killer(s) of your daughter and show them you’re not a person to mess with. Later on when you find out your being used to get some work done it becomes a situation of trying to stop a mad man from killing the president and sending all of Washington DC back to the stone age. This storyline will make you feel like you’re involved making you feel like you’re doing something good, till you go kill like 100 people just to do one thing and get back into the story.

Final thoughts: This is only the second Splinter cell game I've played but I enjoy it, I wish I played more of the series and got a feel for what I’ve missed in the past years of Sam's life. It’s awesome to have a game where you can pick how to play if you want to be a ninja or run in guns blazing and kill everything like Rambo. I enjoyed the storyline and how it progressed throughout the entire game and I loved how I had to always handle situations differently, and how all the new features have played into my game play and execution of game play.

5/5 - Buy

jango
05-25-2010, 07:00 AM
enjoyable read .. thanks joker :)

Jokersvirus
05-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I hope someone who reads this has played online to help my review out more.

EpsilonX
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
i haven't bought this yet and probably won't for a long while. why? the story mode, i have been told, is about 5 hours.

SecretSpy
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
The story mode is far too short and I hated the way the game forced you to use the tag and execute at times. But I still enjoyed it.

Jokersvirus
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
The story mode is far too short and I hated the way the game forced you to use the tag and execute at times. But I still enjoyed it.

ya i know what you mean, but when your at third echelon you have to admit when he goes crazy with rage that was awesome.

SecretSpy
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
That part was really good. I didn't enjoy the level with the EMP building though. Felt too linear to me.

EpsilonX
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM

i liked the tag and execute (i only played the demo)

SecretSpy
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
i liked the tag and execute (i only played the demo)

Yeah but the game forces you to use it. There was no way around it and that really annoyed me since Splinters Cell has never forced you to to do anything non story related before.

Jokersvirus
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
The game doesnt really force you to use it, it pretty much pushes you to but you can still get around it. I never really used it that much until i got into Third Echelon.

Iceskater101
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
how many are in this splinter cell series?
is it just this one?

Jokersvirus
05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Uhh I believe there are 5 or 6 total, dating back to the xbox and ps2.

Charlotte
05-25-2010, 11:55 PM
i don't have this game for now.
but it does look exciting as before.

good review..

Iceskater101
05-26-2010, 09:25 PM
yeah this game looks good
is this a game where I don't have to play the other ones..?

Jokersvirus
05-26-2010, 09:53 PM
The games are linked together, This one takes place during/after the 4th and 5th game where Sam learns his daughter is dead and finally leaves the Third echelon afterwards and we end up where we start in this one. I might have to edit my review if i said he learned in this game

Raoul
01-10-2011, 03:02 AM
I played this game on my PC I never tried it on a Xbox 360 before. On the PC this game is awesome and I like being hidden in the shadows in this game so that the people can’t see me and then I kill them fast. Is there any difference for the PC version compared to the Xbox 360?