PDA

View Full Version : Activision Considering Call of Duty Online Subscriptions

DirtyDMan
06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Call of Duty may become a subscription-based online service, if Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has anything to say about it.

Speaking candidly to The Wall Street Journal (via MCV), Kotick was asked "if you could snap your fingers, and instantly make one change in your company what would it be?"

"I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow," the executive replied. "When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience."

This certainly isn't the first we've heard of Activision's ambitions to bring Call of Duty to the online subscription realm -- almost exactly a year ago, the company tested the waters by gauging player interest with an online survey, saying an online service would provide "gameplay enhancements" like premium access to new expansions, betas, game modes, character skins, and enhanced stat tracking

How much money can that pull out of us geez.

Newkeh
06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
they would get 0 monies from me :> seriously I would not buy cod just like I havent bought wow and any kind of monthly subscription game

my favorite genre is fps and MW2 is #1 fps imo atm but still I would not buy it

EpsilonX
06-21-2010, 05:14 PM
i dont play shooters online on my ps3. why would i pay tons to play one?

thedeparted
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Bobby Kotick is truly a horrible person >_<

LiNuX
06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Is that for all MW2? or for certain systems? I play mostly on my pc because online gaming is free 95% of the time.

I was thinking of getting a new CPU soon which comes with MW2 for free...I'll probably wait another week or so and if more news comes about this for the PC version then I'll probably go the alternate route and go Intel instead of AMD this time.

DirtyDMan
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Is that for all MW2? or for certain systems? I play mostly on my pc because online gaming is free 95% of the time.

I was thinking of getting a new CPU soon which comes with MW2 for free...I'll probably wait another week or so and if more news comes about this for the PC version then I'll probably go the alternate route and go Intel instead of AMD this time.

I would guess it would be for all of them... Why would they not do it that way?.. Say if the Online subscription is just for Xbox360 and PS3.. Then most people would buy the PC game instead of the console ones... So I'am pretty sure they mean all of them but I'm just guessing..

If this happens tho I wouldnt be buying these games anymore.. I would just rent them for the single player...

LiNuX
06-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, not everyone enjoys playing games on the PC and vice versa. I hate playing Fighting and racing games on the PC and I hate FPS on the consoles because I'm terrible. So they may want to feed into their console gamers more than their PC gamers.

But if they do this for the PC, they will most likely have issues with Steam which doesn't deal with p2p games. But I guess we'll wait and see.

I'm not getting that CPU anyway...found a better deal and will probably go with that one. I'd rather get BF BC2 anyway.

BocReaper
06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
CoD isn't that good. I'll stick to live if it happens.