PDA

View Full Version : Sony Ericsson PSP2 Could Help Sony Push Apple Out of Gaming

DirtyDMan
06-25-2010, 08:21 PM
We’re always hearing rumors about Microsoft entering the handheld gaming market, but obviously that won’t ever happen because the portable market has proven for over twenty years now that Nintendo is a force to be reckoned with. Microsoft is already in a situation where its investors are frustrated over the low profits of the Entertainment and Devices Division. (Must be nice to complain about low profits instead of losses in the middle of a recession). So with Microsoft out of the picture, that leaves Sony in a great position to continue clawing its way into the pockets of gamers on the go.

Sony faces only one possible rival besides the obvious Nintendo juggernaut that it’s currently contending with; and that of course is Apple. Apple has made it very clear that they intend to pull gamers away with the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. They’ve also hinted at future hardware which might be more directly focused on gamers. So what is Sony to do? It’s simple really; make a PSP 2 Phone.

If you think the idea of a PSP 2 Phone (or PSP2 as we’ll call it - Portable+Phone) is totally absurd or you instantly think of the failure that was the N-Gage, you’re not looking at the total picture. Nokia lacked experience in the gaming market. They did a good job of securing titles, but stumbled so badly with the initial model’s “Taco” design, which forced you to remove the battery to change cartridges, that a majority of gamers rejected the thing. Sony doesn’t face that problem. It’s one of the benefits of being a multi-product company with a finger in every kind of electronic product.

Sony Ericsson could easily merge a phone into a PSP2 and quite possibly have an instant success. Experience in both the handheld gaming market, phone design and manufacturing, along with several years of experience in digital distribution means that Sony comes out the gate with a new device and digital download system that faces almost none of the growing pains that Apple faced with their extremely successful portable campaign and zero of the manufacturing flaws that plagued Nokia’s bid to become a gaming company.

The Ericsson brand has struggled in the US recently, but is still very well off in Europe and Western Asia. The concept of the next PSP integrating the Ericsson name would be beneficial to both branches in North America. The biggest side-effect of this possible phone and gaming hybrid is of course that Apple could be slowed down or stopped completely from tapping into the very lucrative portable gaming market. If Sony decided to build the phone as a CDMA device, it could operate in North America and the Philippines on 4G networks at launch and in the US it would be available on Sprint and Verizon (the #1 and #3 carriers in the US).

Sony Ericsson PSP2 Could Help Sony Push Apple Out of Gaming (http://www.gofanboy.com/home/fanboy-features/3162-sony-ericsson-psp2-could-help-sony-push-apple-out-of-gaming/)

I would get this Phone....

Iceskater101
06-26-2010, 12:28 PM
that would be kinda a cool phone
play video games and text and call people
that sounds fun

Subb
06-26-2010, 12:31 PM
it would be almost impossible to multi task on it. But ice can run and hide some where in her game while she sends a text message out

Iceskater101
06-26-2010, 12:37 PM
lol that would be impossible
but I would save my game then text then go back to my game
but I hope with this version of the playstation portable it will have plenty of games to be able to play

thedeparted
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
at this point I really doubt theres anything to push Apple out of games, too many apple zealot fans that will but apple related regardless

BobTD
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
as a hardcore gamer, I have to say I might buy a gaming phone just on principle alone.