PDA

View Full Version : Project Natal to push gaming in right direction

EpsilonX
07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
E3: Post-Natal Discussion Xbox 360 Interview - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-post-natal-discussion-interview)

Eurogamer: How does Project Natal work with Burnout?

Alex Kipman: Essentially we do a 3D body scan of you. We graph 48 joints in your body and then those 48 joints are tracked in real-time, at 30 frames per second. So several for your head, shoulders, elbows, hands, feet...

Say I'm tracking a wrist, which is what I do for Burnout. I can look at that on a single frame and I can see what direction, acceleration and confidence I have for that joint. Why is that interesting? Because it allows me to not only know where you are, but to know where you're going to be. This is how we do the directing and the predictive behaviour.

If you think about swinging a baseball bat, by the time you're halfway done with the swing, I know not only where you're going to end but when you're going to end. There are very precise and predictable ways so you can have that immediate payoff of my baseball bat hitting the baseball.

man, Natal sounds better than I thought at first. I don't really care though, I'm good with my Wii for now. But Nintendo's gonna have to step it up a notch with their next console.

LiNuX
07-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Sounds awesome. Not sure if I'll have anything to do with it. Ever since I moved onto PC gaming, I haven't bought any new consoles.

But if they can do some Virtual Reality thing, I'd probably be even more interested. I know a few exist already but something a lot better than what they have now (and affordable).

Diligence109
07-14-2010, 07:25 PM
predictive technology sounds like the way to beat back latency response... that could actually really go somewhere. I hope we see games that reflect the potential - it calls upon the developers to really do some crafty programming.