PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Grand Theft Auto

Scott
08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
GTA 3 came out in 2001 and was one of the most innovative games of all time, being on the same level as Super Marios Bros. and Elder Scrolls, offering ideas that had never been done before. Vice City and San Andreas were extensions of 3 with interconnected plots and characters, and while they were good games, anyone hoping to play them and see even more innovation didn't find it. Instead they found new stories that happened in the GTA 3 universe--and also along for the ride were all of the glitches, bad targeting, sub-standard graphics and inexcusably bad draw distance that 3 was known for. These problems were mainly caused by the fact that the engine had become outdated by the time VC came, and Rockstar didn't bother to spend the money to improve it.

So my question is this: Will it be the same after 4? Will the GTAs that come in the future be in the same world and use the exact same tech? As far as the tech side of things go, the new engine doesn't suffer from the same problems that plagued VC and SA. But do you think that there will ever be another GTA sequel after 4 in this console cycle, or will the next GTA be an extension of it with new characters and story?

lonewolfxix
08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
lt'll be a whole new game, but at some points they will have to run out of ideas and start on a new series, the GTA franchise is getting more boring day by day. Can you honestly say the last 3 were as good as the original 3 in terms of how fun they were?

cwbolton
08-11-2007, 07:55 AM
no i agree after 3 i started losinf interest i liked san andreas but after that those sequils were crap and its obvious that they were running out of ideas so i hope 4 is oging to better than the rest

lonewolfxix
08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I'll probably just play my friend's copy and not buy it myself, but hey, they may find more ideas, how about Grand Theft Chariot? GTA in the Roman times :D or Grand Theft Carriage.. europe when engines were hardly invented a few years ago... lol.
Well they done London 1969.. why not 1700s or whatever?

Scott
08-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I'll probably just play my friend's copy and not buy it myself, but hey, they may find more ideas, how about Grand Theft Chariot? GTA in the Roman times :D or Grand Theft Carriage.. europe when engines were hardly invented a few years ago... lol.
Well they done London 1969.. why not 1700s or whatever?

Lol in Simpsons movie there was Grand Theft Walrus.

LiNuX
08-12-2007, 11:27 PM
moved to fighting and action, weird i havent seen this thread lol

i started losing interest after vice city, san andreas was too big and long to finish and i never had the game anyway

cwbolton
08-13-2007, 04:46 AM
lol it took me about 10 months to finish as i couldnt get my pilots licence i was futher than all my friends then i got stuck there for ages

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
I completed it in 2 months.. Pilot's license wasn't that hard to get, Grand Theft Walrus is just putting a Walrus in the GTA world with nothing else changed rofl. Grand Theft Chariot ftw!

cwbolton
08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
haha lol the walrus was cool but doesnt he need water?

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Walruses can go on land you know.. I'm still wishing for a new GTA London... one of the missions you should have to assassinate someone from the London Eye, that would sooo own. or big ben!

Drake14
08-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Out of all the ones i played, SA was the best. I played a little bit of Liberty City Stories on my friend's PSP, and i thought it was lame because it was on the same island and map as GTA 3.

I think they should come out with a whole new storyline and everything.

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
the "stories" series was made on the PSP so people could relive all the old ones portably, they were not meant to be all new with very few new features and slightly new characters, you have to remember that. They were just made as little things to do while travelling, not as something to admire for it's uniqueness and high graphics and high playability.

Drake14
08-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm not talking about it's graphics or anything, i just figured maybe they could setup a new map or something, i didn't mind the graphics or anything like that, but maybe they coulda shook things up a bit, i'm sure there was a new storyline, but a new map woulda been better too.

cwbolton
08-13-2007, 09:20 AM
yeah thats what i want at the moment there all remakes and its so boring i dont mind the graphics its just the content

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
I'll say it again, it was liturally GTA3 with the resolution tuned down, some new cars and characters added with a few changes in the story, that's all the PSP versions were for. When it comes to GTA, consoles and PC are the way to get more original stories, infact, PC is probably the best, with fans making all new story lines for the games, there is one that's been under development for the last year for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas called "Ryder's Story" which is Ryder after his alleged shooting later on in the San Andreas story.

Drake14
08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
oh. haha my bad >.<

well i still would've liked a different map.

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
If the map were to be changed then it wouldn't be Liberty City, would it?

Drake14
08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
true. i never said they had to keep the name either ;)

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
But then you transform a $60 "make a lil money without spending much" game into full on original release which would mean putting it up to $80-$100, not really worth it considering the PSP is just a portable device made for when you go out.

cwbolton
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
lots of people play psp's at home

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Mainly for the more original games and ones which are good online lol, but i don't see the point unless it's just stuff you already have on other formats.

cwbolton
08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
yeah well i didnt get a word of that lol please rephrase

lonewolfxix
08-13-2007, 03:09 PM
People play the PSP for the games unique or actually different with new features to only that format, or if they want to play online in which case what's easier than on your own wireless internet, or their brother/sister/dad/mom is on the console/pc lol. but either way, the GTA on PSP is for mainly playing portably.

cwbolton
08-14-2007, 05:38 AM
so you can play mmorpg's on psp's

lonewolfxix
08-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Well yeah.. whatever companies put on it you can play on it.. so anyway, let's get back to the main topic: what is the future of Grand Theft Auto?

cwbolton
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
grand theft walrus thats the futre there goin to buy the idea from the simpsons lol

lonewolfxix
08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
haha, but that's unoriginal :P I bet there'll be Grand Theft Space and Virgin will play a big role in it (first people to put normal citizens into space - 2011 - i believe) Which would be pretty cool.. new kill move.. go up behind someone and take their oxygen tube out.

cwbolton
08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
haha lol but if you shot someone theyd explode because of the pressure lol

lonewolfxix
08-14-2007, 01:11 PM
oh man that would sooo own! and you'd have to jack tie fighters and stuff! ah wait.. star wars.. heh... moonrakers would be fun to jack, go joy riding on the moooooon!

pstigles
08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Ive got to admit i loved playing saints row more than GTA and im also really looking forward to the realise of GTA4. should be good =)

LiNuX
08-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Ive got to admit i loved playing saints row more than GTA and im also really looking forward to the realise of GTA4. should be good =)

all GTA fans are looking forward to it and again, i doubt it'll be any different from the older versions, and it'll get repetetive

thats just my premonition on the game lol, but we'll see what happens