PDA

View Full Version : Sony Furious Over PSP 2 Engineering Screwup

DirtyDMan
07-25-2010, 02:05 AM
http://consolepress.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/HDR-PSP-2-Concept.jpg

The PSP may be as powerful as a PlayStation 2, but the huge graphical gap between Sony's handheld and the PS3 is increasingly hard to swallow. Developers have reportedly gotten their hands on the powerful new successor, PSP 2, but even after five years Sony has yet to even hint at a release date for the handheld. And what may have made for a great presentation at TGS may be pushed back until next year because of some surprising screwups by the engineers designing the graphics chip.

"It is now set for a CES showing, but it will almost assuredly be released at a later date. This isn't due to the number of engineers mauled by moles yesterday, but because the Tegra 2 is massively over it's promised power budget. In a segment that finds 5% overages unacceptable, Tegra 2 is 20%+ over power budget. That explains why Nvidia PR suddenly changed the focus of the PSP2 screed to avoid the word 'phone', but, luckily for Sony, the PSP2 does not have phone capabilities. The power 'whoopsie' means delays and possibly spec downgrades for the PSP2, but we will have to see where it ends up. Between that overage and several showstopper bugs, Sony is said to be very miffed at Nvidia right now."

"The scene in the streets is almost as bad as the scenes in the Nvidia meeting rooms when the Sony people come around. If the chip that Sony uses for the PSP2 is a vanilla Tegra 2, the design is in trouble. If they use a custom version of the part, there is a chance for things to work out in the end, but expect many delays as the silicon is respun and respun. For a device that has already been delayed because of it's CPU, that is not a good sign."

Despite the bad news, this may actually be a good sign as Sony is probably pushing nVidia to deliver on near PS3-quality visuals for PSP 2. And with the smaller screen resolution compared to HDTVs, we wouldn't be surprised if nVidia ends up smoking the Nintendo 3DS in the graphics department.

Sony Furious Over PSP 2 Engineering Screwup consolepress.com (http://consolepress.com/main/2010/07/24/sony-furious-over-psp-2-engineering-screwup/)

This is bad news but kinda good as well.... I mean if theyre able to fix the problems and improve the over all handheld then I think it will be worth the wait...

I mean having a handheld with near PS3-quality would be just amazing in my opinion.... Look at the size of the screen as well but no phone capabilities is a big bummer.... That would of been great to have on a handheld I think...

I'll try to keep you guys updated on this if I find anything new....

BobTD
07-25-2010, 03:04 AM
I like how both the images in that marketing add are from the monster hunter series. Its really the only thing carrying the PSP right now anyways. =P

Also, the controls on that are absurd. The PSP is awkward enough to learn how to hold without it slipping down in your grip constantly, but how the heck do you use L and R triggers? It looks like they are on the side, meaning even fewer fingers to hold the thing in place. >=(

thedeparted
07-25-2010, 03:09 AM
FF has good showing on psp as well

BobTD
07-25-2010, 04:05 AM
FF has good showing on psp as well

its kinda meh compaired to the monster hunter series:

PlayStation Portable games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

PlayStation Portable
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (3.5 million in Japan)[139]
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (3 million)[140]
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (2,725,507 approximately: 2 million in US,[141] 125,507 in Japan,[142] 600,000 in UK)[36]
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2.59 million approximately; 830,000 in Japan, 710,000 in North America,[143][144] 550,000 in Europe)[144]
Daxter (2.3 million)[145]
Gran Turismo (1.8 million)[94]
Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0 (1.32 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[141] 200,000 in UK,[23] 27,151 in Japan)[142]
Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (1.3 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[141] 200,000 in UK)[23]
Monster Hunter Freedom (1.2 million)[54]
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (1.13 million approximately; 950,000 in US,[141] 100,000 in UK,[20] 80,420 in Japan)[142]
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (1.05 million approximately; 910,000 in Japan, 20,000 in the rest of Asia,[144] 130,000 in US)[146]
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (1 million)[147]
Tekken: Dark Resurrection (1 million)[148]
Wipeout Pure (1 million)[149]
God of War: Chains of Olympus (1 million)[150]
Total PlayStation Portable games sold as of December 31, 2009: 251.6 million. [41]

Notice how these number just count what was sold in japan vs, all the th total FF sales in multiple nations.

The total comes to 7.7 million in japan alone for monster hunter, and 3.64 total for top selling FF games. Considering Monster hunter is a huge hit in the UK, that means monster hunters popularity is easily more then double the final fantasy franchise.

Its ridiculous I know.

Muffincat
07-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Do you really want a handheld with a screen facing out like that? :/

I really hate electronics with this kind of design, but I guess that's just me.

Subb
07-25-2010, 09:43 AM
i dont see a problem at all with the screen "facing out like that" Plus it makes it a more compaq'd design

Diligence109
07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm with bob and muffin... the position of the L+R buttons and the direction the screen faces from where your hands hold it make this design look incredibly silly.

But hey, they'll probably fix it cause this isn't firm yet? maybe? .... please?

Muffincat
07-25-2010, 10:03 AM
i dont see a problem at all with the screen "facing out like that" Plus it makes it a more compaq'd design

Because it is a portable system, and the screen is less protected that way? O_o

Kenoi
07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
they're doing the style of the 'ericsson' series, like how the screen slides out.
but hey thats good they're gonna improve further. I wonder if microsoft will make a handheld?