PDA

View Full Version : Lumber yard Fire in Newport, South Wales, UK Maindee area (where i live)

lonewolfxix
08-07-2007, 08:18 PM
So this was quite shocking when I heard about this, early this morning a fire was started in a local lumber yard, I have about 15minutes of footage I am prepping to upload to Youtube and other video sites but here is articles relating to the fire liturally at the bottom of my road today, it took the fire services ONE HOUR to respond yet there is a fire station almost right next to where the blaze had started, here's a serious of news posts from the local newspaper, The South Wales Argus:

BREAKING NEWS...Fire on Marlborough Road, Newport

REPORTS are coming in of a large fire on Marlborough Road, Newport.

Residents are being evacuated in the wake of a blaze at a joinery workshop.

LATEST...Blaze stops train services

TRAIN services between Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport have been stopped due to the fire at a joinery workshop.

The building affected on Marlborough Road backs onto the main railway line.

LATEST...Joinery workshop fire spreads

THE Marlborough Road fire has spread to a nearby house, and trees near the site have caught fire.

The trees are near a railway line and Railtrack has been informed, and stopped trains running throught the site.

More than 100 local residents are on the streets watching firefighters battle the blaze.

LATEST...See video footage of the blaze

ARGUS video reporter JON DOEL records the terrifying Newport blaze and its devastation on Marlborough Road.

Click HERE (http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/video/index.var.6813.0.0.php) to see the video.

LATEST...Blaze spreads to ten houses

TEN houses are now ablaze as a major fire in Newport's Marlborough Road spreads.

Police and the fire service have cordoned off the whole of Marlborough Road and part of Bedford Road. Flames are now 25 feet high and smoke is belching hundreds of feet into the sky.

One of the residents evacuated from their homes is Wali Dad, 65. He was in work when he got a frantic phone call to say the fire had broken out. His wife Fatima, two daughters and two grandchildren were told to leave their house.

Standing behind the cordon, Mr Dad said "I think my house has gone. It's finished, just burnt."

Evacuated residents are due to be bussed to Newport Centre.

LATEST...Residents evacuated to Newport Centre

RESIDENTS of Marlborough Road have been evacuated and bussed to the Newport Centre.

Over 100 people have been moved for their own safety from the blazing buildings.

I was personally on the scene for about 15minutes but could only see the smoke, unlike "Jon Doel" I could not get to see the blaze.. Though my video should be up by Thursday evening (problems with processing the video here :eek1:)

This is the latest in the strings of arsons and murders in Newport, first by the Maindee Baths (swimming pool at the bottom of my road) being burnt after Muslims wanting to change it into a mosque and muslim only swimming pool then 3 murders, one in the St Julians area (a place with a very highly populated school) one in the Maindee area (an area with an increasingly high populace) and another in the outskirts of the town center where Sainsbury's operates a city centre skirts store.

For the original news reports, please go to the South Wales Argus website. (http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/)

LiNuX
08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
wow thats horrible, u told me that u took the video, keep us posted when u've uploaded the video

thats horrible news tho

Scott
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
LATEST...Blaze stops train services

TRAIN services between Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport have been stopped due to the fire at a joinery workshop.

Train services? I thought it happened during the night?

lonewolfxix
08-08-2007, 01:46 AM
The fire started in the morning, probably about 10am, I expect it was vandalism that started the fire.. It went on way into the night.. the fire bridge weren't on the scene until midday-ish.. I have 2 friends on that street, aswell.. so they must be living at the city center hall..

Scott
08-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Oh right. Well at least it was only a fire near you. It's a good thing it wasn't flooding (Which happened in Glostershire and Yorkshire), Foot and mouth (Which happened in Surry) or a landslide (which happened in a town near Aberdeen). Damn haven't we had a fun summer.

lonewolfxix
08-08-2007, 02:16 AM
But those are natural things that generally happen when weather is meant to be beautiful, gang violence, vandalism etc. happens all year round. Newport is rated as "one of the hardest places in Britain" for example, 3 murders in 1 weekend and armed robbery, which is weird for such a small town in Wales. :)

Scott
08-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Sounds like a friendly place.

Nothing exiting has happened here lately. Although some psycho doctor did try to blow up our airport. But that was a while ago

Did they move you?