PDA

View Full Version : Gamers Forum Blog - Good Idea?

LiNuX
08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I had an idea of Setting up a blog with this domain - would be gamers-forum.com/blog or blog.gamers-forum.com - Here - it would contain review of games submitted by forum members. Then a link at the end of each blog post where You can discuss the game or something like that. I'd give out about 20 GFP for each accepted review meaning I will personally read the review and approve of it to get posted into the blog.

OR

I can set up a joomla site as the main page or an inner page and put reviews there manually.

I need ideas on this, I want to do something special, just a gaming forum isn't always enough to get attention from everyone :-).

And if anyone will submit their articles, they will of course get full credit of submission, If its a blog, you will probably get the opportunity to post with your own username.

Post here ideas or suggestions on this :D.

Scott
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Well it doesn't bring in the members. I have been on loads of sites with it and they have failed anyway. But I like it. Because it's quite helpful when 2 great games come out at once.

LiNuX
08-07-2007, 11:35 PM
loads of sites fail cuz they dont have dedication, we lost info here about twice, total of almost 5k posts i'd say and we dont give up :-) we just come back harder and i was giving it a thought anyway.

and yes you can submit articles to compare and etc.

Scott
08-08-2007, 12:24 AM
loads of sites fail cuz they dont have dedication, we lost info here about twice, total of almost 5k posts i'd say and we dont give up :-) we just come back harder and i was giving it a thought anyway.

and yes you can submit articles to compare and etc.

I used to be a mod on another Game Forum. And we had a serious hacker problem. He hacked us more than 5 times. And we lost just about everything. But we managed to get the activity back. Then someone decided that they needed "newer mods" that we didn't do a good enough job when it happened so most of us got demoted. And the forum got to be really strict. And that is why I left.
So don't be too strict!. I hate that. You can't have fun on strict forums.

LiNuX
08-08-2007, 12:28 AM
nah.. we are not that strict lol, i only demoted 2 mods in this forum's life - both became inactive and never showed up. we go easy on the rules and warn too much lol. I banned someone today for making me mad by not following rules after a warning and 2 infractions in 15 mins. I had to stop his spam, the only way was to ban.

august is weird, most of my mods gave a reason to be inactive lol, and i let them come on when they want, im not that tough or srict on the rules :-) i just ask u dont post links until u have 10 posts and have been a member for 24 hrs, you do not get into arguments with other members, and no posts that'll get this forum in trouble (link a link to download illegal materials).

as for dedication, my staff has helped me get the forum back to life after the two crashes. And i don't think any staff did anything bad enough to get demoted lol. Last demoted mod was back in december i think.

lonewolfxix
08-08-2007, 01:32 AM
It's a cool idea just not sure if it would bring in any activity.. If you were to make the blog I'll certainly try to post pretty often.

Drake14
08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. It'd be cool if like, we had specific people with a special rank of Game Reviewer, or something. And they'd go out and look at the newest games and read about them and write a review on what they think.

So not EVERYONE would be posting a review because that could get a little out of hand as more and more members register.

LiNuX
08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
It's a cool idea just not sure if it would bring in any activity.. If you were to make the blog I'll certainly try to post pretty often.

well u never know until you try, usually it'll bring in visitors and thats what you need to get new members and like i said, there could be a discussion link related to that post where guests come in and see members discussing and maybe want to get into it - OR make it exclusive to certain membergroups, maybe bring back the MVP and VIP and use them :D

Sounds like a good idea to me. It'd be cool if like, we had specific people with a special rank of Game Reviewer, or something. And they'd go out and look at the newest games and read about them and write a review on what they think.

So not EVERYONE would be posting a review because that could get a little out of hand as more and more members register.

i'll first have some of the current staff submit maybe one or two article each. Then if it gets popular set up a few review membergroups. Like you said, special rank of game reviewer, i'll add like RPG Reviewer, Action Games Reviewer, etc.

I have to find a way to bridge the blog or other cms, depending on what I use into the forum. Cuz having a totally different site would be pointless.

Drake14
08-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Well i vote for a blog. It's easier to manage i think, not that joomla isn't easy, but i think joomla is for bigger type projects, but it may work.

LiNuX
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Well i vote for a blog. It's easier to manage i think, not that joomla isn't easy, but i think joomla is for bigger type projects, but it may work.

well i know its easier to bridge in wordpress than bridging in joomla - i just dont know if that's possible with making an inner page, cuz usually bridges just take up the front page.