PDA

View Full Version : What format should the next Microsoft console use?

Scott
08-08-2007, 01:17 PM
There has been so much talk lately, true or untrue, about the disc capacity of the DVD and how it is effecting the Next Gen titles. I'm wondering if it's time to abandon the DVD format for the next Microsoft console?

My guess is that Microsoft would consider HD-DVD as the next console format. However, I'm starting to think they should abandon discs all together and go to cartridge...yes they are slightly higher in cost to produce than discs, but...they could put in as much info as they want and it would eliminate load times, no moving parts in the console, less chance of getting a faulty console, and overall much less of a headache for everyone.

What do you all think?

LiNuX
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
i said blue ray to compete with that playstation 3 lol, hd dvd wouldnt be a bad idea either but that wont have much to do with gaming

cartridges remind me of the old time gaming lol, like sega and super nintendo and etc..

Scott
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Lol wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft went back to those big cartriges that we used on the SNES. That'd be the worst thing MS Could do. Even the handhealds use disks now

lonewolfxix
08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
First you suggest cartidges then you go against it :eek1:

Only SONY fans say there is a lack of space to be found on a normal DVD, you can get 8.4gb dual layer discs which offer enough space for almost all games and then you have Microsoft's $20million strong research program which they conducted while making the Xbox 360 to compress their games to 10x their size meaning they can fit upto 47Gb onto a standard 4.7Gb DVD, but around average put on about 32Gb. The Xbox 360 uses DVD's for games due to the fact Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both take too bloody long to load up. BluRay.. 2x... HD-DVD.. 2x.. DVD ROM... 20x!

Cartidges are useless, they're physically large have very little memory and are susceptible from corrupting due to aging even if you keep them in pristine condition, CD's never lose their data unless:
Scratched
Put in direct high powered light
or burnt/melted

Bluray will never be used on a Microsoft product as they believe that HD-DVD is the better option due to the fact everything SONY says the Blu-Ray can do either no-one uses and probably never will after paying thousands, even 10s of thousands on their current HD suite or it can do, there is a company that have squeezed 3Gb of data onto a CD-R, 40Gb onto a DVD-R and depending which wins, they are going to try to squeeze 250Gb out of a HD-DVD or 300Gb out of a BluRay, whoever said DVD is lacking space is retarded.

Furthermore: Blu-Ray costs more to produce, costs more to buy, and their players can't always run standard dvd's or cd's, whereas HD-DVD is backwards compatible... so why choose Blu-Ray? SONY WILL lose.

Scott
08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
First you suggest cartidges then you go against it :eek1:

sLol no. I copied it from someone. Lol I'm getting all these threads from my forum. Which closed down the day before I joined here

lonewolfxix
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Sooo these aren't your posts.. You should really make a new post rather than copying and pasting someone else's views or use quotes...

Scott
08-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Sooo these aren't your posts.. You should really make a new post rather than copying and pasting someone else's views or use quotes...

Yeah that isn't what I said. I actually said "There's no way MS will use cartridges. Sony have said that all the PS4's games will be down loadable and I'm sure MS will do the same.". Well I don't have anymore threads to copy anyway.

lonewolfxix
08-11-2007, 07:09 AM
all games downloadable? :eek1: So umm.. how big of a harddrive do they expect to have? 2tb? :eek1: Or will they put a rewriter drive in the console so you can burn your own games... Wow.. how will that work out :laugh:

Joshuah
08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
What is Blu-Ray?

lonewolfxix
08-11-2007, 12:11 PM
it's a high capacity disc made for high definition storage, it stores 57GB, it stores that much data by using a blue laser rather than red, blue and green lasers are more accurate than red lasers, so they can burn more data onto a single layer. :)

Joshuah
08-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, take my vote out for the HD-DVD and add it for Blu-Ray

lonewolfxix
08-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Blu-Ray is also very slow, HD-DVD is faster and ALOT cheaper to produce. also, Microsoft support HD-DVD and not Blu-Ray, this is what Microsoft's next console will use NOT what would you prefer Microsoft to use for their next console

Joshuah
08-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Fine HD-Dvd then, and my final pick is HD-DVD :p lol

Aaron.
08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Oooo ooo ooo HD-DVD :)

Scott
08-11-2007, 02:58 PM
all games downloadable? :eek1: So umm.. how big of a harddrive do they expect to have? 2tb? :eek1: Or will they put a rewriter drive in the console so you can burn your own games... Wow.. how will that work out :laugh:
I'm not sure. But they are already working on the PS3. Maybe you trade games for other games?... without having to pay when trading would be awesome!

The other thing that bugs me about all games being download able is what if you don't have a credit card? how will you get games?

What is Blu-Ray?
Dude where have you been? that's what the PS3 Uses!