PDA

View Full Version : Report: Sony Ericsson working on PlayStation Phone, release could come soon

DirtyDMan
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM
http://media.psu.com/media/articles/large_largethumbpsp2.bmp

We’ve been hearing rumors about a PlayStation Phone for quite a long time. Some have speculated that the next iteration of the PSP would include phone capabilities; others have believed Sony would create a phone-specific device.

According to a report by Engadget, Sony Ericsson is working on a project to develop an Android platform with PSP Go-style gaming capabilities. ‘Trusted sources’ have told Engadget that Sony Ericsson is in the late stages of planning for a new gaming platform, ecosystem, and smartphone device.

If reports are true, and we may very well hear more about it at Gamecom, the new device is geared toward gamers. The report states the device is a cross between the Samsung Captivate and the PSP Go. You’ll get the landscape slider with game controls in place of the QWERTY keyboard. The PSP-style D-pad is included, but instead of a thumbstick, you’ll get a long touch pad for analog controls. Standard PSP and shoulder buttons will also be included in the device.

The screen could range between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a five megapixel camera, a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU, and the device itself will get a black polish with white or silver colors by the gamepad. Of course, this is all based on non-specific reports, but it is likely that if Sony were to develop a PSP-based phone, it would include some of these very basic assets.

Showing that the device is more than just a phone, it’s believed the smartphone will use Gingerbread and have access to a new area of the Android Market that will be specifically built for games. The games will be of PSX or PSP quality, and include God of War: Chains of Olympus, LittleBigPlanet, and apparently a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare game. Of course, if this device is announced any time soon, you can expect to hear more titles getting a full reveal.

This would give Google and Sony quite a step on other smartphone competitors. For us gamers, we may just have the perfect device for all our PlayStation needs. Keep in mind, this is not official, but we do expect Sony to make some sort of announcement at one of the upcoming gaming conventions.

Report: Sony Ericsson working on PlayStation Phone, release could come soon -- PlayStation Universe (http://www.psu.com/news/9551)

I hope this is true b/c this is the phone for me... Even tho I would probably end up killing myself... Trying to drive, playing a game, Talking to a friend, and texting could be a little tricky....

I should practice with my psp so I can get the hang of it...

Shixx
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah this could actually be pretty awesome.
I hope it happens.

thedeparted
08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
i dunno dudes this has been speculated for like 3 years now...

Iceskater101
08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
this would be cool
I mean imagine trying to text and play a game all at once that would be complicated
I mean how would you txt have one side slide out and be the keyboard and the other side slide out as the game controls
that would get kinda complicated

glenofimaal
08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
This might actually work lol

thedeparted
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
sure, if they ever release it.