PDA

View Full Version : Halo Movie still a go!....maybe?

Jokersvirus
09-06-2010, 02:41 PM
So it would seem that 343 industry has got enough "documentation" to tell a story and to make the film. They are just... waiting for the right time to create it, ehh?

In August 2009, Microsoft said that its plans for a big-screen version of Halo were "on hold". This past spring, Microsoft expressed interest in doing a Halo flick "when the time is right". Is the time right yet?

"We're still interested in making an excellent 'Halo' movie," Frank O'Connor from Micrsoft's Halo branch, 343 Industries, tells Variety in a recent interview. "We've created an awful lot of documentation and materials to support a feature film. We have a good idea of what kind of story we want to tell, but won't move on it until there's a great reason to do it. We're in no particular hurry."

According to O'Connor, a movie version would not be "a verbatim retelling of the game". Microsoft is "intently watching" the television business as a potential platform to tell the Halo story.

Back in 2005, a film version of Halo was first penned by Alex Garland, writer of The Beach novel and 28 Days Later screenplay, and it was slated to be released by 20th Century Fox. Acting as producer Peter Jackson and his WETA studio began making props for the Halo film. And filmmaker Neill Blomkamp began making Halo short films for Microsoft.

But by 2007, it seemed that the project has stalled and wasn't going to happen, and the director said the project was "entirely dead" Bloomkamp and Jackson went on to create sci-fi flick District 9. Blomkamp told MTV in summer 2009 that he "spent five months working on it [the Halo film], like, 24 hours a day" only to have "the rug pulled out from underneath" him. That's one of the reasons it will be "difficult" to revisit that Halo movie, at least in its current incarnation, particularly on top of the "politics" involved.

When the Halo movie didn't happen, the game Peter Jackson was going to develop also ended up collapsing The entire situation seemed to have left a bitter taste in the mouths of those involved. Former Microsoft exec Peter Moore told Kotaku that he was "pissed" that the Halo movie brokedown. When asked why Microsoft didn't just finance the film itself, Moore replied, "You can't make games and make movies. It's not our business."

'Halo': the care and feeding of a franchise [Variety via Latino Review]

Jackson was going to make a video game based off the halo movie. Oh there would have been riots.

BocReaper
09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, all their live action clips for marketing were great. They did a good job there. If the movie can retain what makes those work it could be a good movie.

Jaykub
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't understand why anyone would even try... It seems like a horrible idea for a movie to me.

JamReadyTeacups
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
If done right, it will be a great movie.

I just pray to god they don't get M. Night Shamalan to direct it /wrists

jango
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, most game-related films don't turn out so good .. so we'll see :)

BobTD
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Halo had a sub par storyline to begin with. Dont get me started on how its a collection of stolen ideas put into an irrelevant series of things that dont make sense and labeled as "an epic talel".

Im far more interested in a Mass effect movie because the characters are what made it compelling and dramatic, not like halo's fanboyism and a super soldier with a convenient excuses for being completely bland.

Jokersvirus
09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
You might call halo bland but it has a huge following and the storyline is good.

I would watch it cause I am into fantasy space stuff

Blackleo
09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I'll pay to watch it. I don't know the story much nor the game so won't ruin anything for me haha. But I do like Humans vs Aliens films.

EDIT: WHICH REMINDS ME !!! There will be an ID2 & ID3 coming out !!!

BobTD
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
You might call halo bland but it has a huge following and the storyline is good.

I would watch it cause I am into fantasy space stuff

Dont get me wrong, Im a huge bungie fan but not really a halo fanboy. While even the first halo had great gameplay. I just got annoyed with similarities to other series and no one ever mentioning where they took inspiration from.

As well as multiplayer, have always been a fan of fast paced skill shooters not weapon camping and dirty tactics.

theprincessfey
09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I would totally pay to watch it. It would definitely be strange, but that's not always bad. Can't wait! (:

LemonRising
09-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Wait.. so there was gonna be a game, based off a movie.. that's based of a game?
Redundancy much? lollllllll

I would see it, I think it has potential, but I would also wanna see a Mass Effect movie more : D haw

Jokersvirus
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Mass effect would be annoying. since that game gave us the ability to make choices it will suck we have to sit around and see how they want to butch it.

They would screw up the movie anyway. Most likely commander Sheppard's name would be something stupid.

Jaykub
09-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Wait.. so there was gonna be a game, based off a movie.. that's based of a game?
Redundancy much? lollllllll

I would see it, I think it has potential, but I would also wanna see a Mass Effect movie more : D haw

D:

Mass Effect would be even worse lemons :-(

LemonRising
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
I would still be more interested in it than halo D:

Though most likely.. they would both suck : D

Play Search
09-19-2010, 01:51 PM
A Halo movie could be good if they based it off the book and not so much the game. the books actually have an interesting story line.

Linx_is_me
09-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Overall the Halo story has enough to it they could make a decent movie . If you have seen legends ( which to me was very boring ) then you would know that this is not that bad of a idea . Non of the story is so far fetched that it would look awful on screen . Where as when somebody gets the bright idea to make a 80's movie about plumbers fighting turtles ... well that is just not so believable . I think if they keep this movie how I have seen the breach commercials and the clips on youtube . This will be no different in style of movie making then Starship troopers . This will just be more epic , that was the best word I could come up with .

Play Search
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I would be awesome to see Dr. Halsey recruiting, (Kidnapping), the spartans as children and go through the training and all of the cool stuff from the book.

Just wondering, has anyone else read any of the books?

RecreationalGamer
11-16-2010, 03:15 AM
So it would seem that 343 industry has got enough "documentation" to tell a story and to make the film. They are just... waiting for the right time to create it, ehh?

Jackson was going to make a video game based off the halo movie. Oh there would have been riots.

Great, another terrible movie. This will fit in my "terrible movies" bin next to Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Super Mario Bros, Prince of Persia, and of course who could forget: Tomb Raider.