PDA

View Full Version : league of legends

BobTD
09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
So this game has started to devour souls. Its pretty good and I know a few of the forum members have gotten into it.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3818/lol1a.jpg

Its basically a DoTA clone like heros of newerth. You play as a hero in a battle to attack and destroy your enemies base. It uses waves of minions as a game mechanic that you use to draw fire off you, but the minions travel lanes and run into your enemy minions. So you basically assist minions, assassinate heros and destroy buildings. My first time playing a game like this but Im picking it up pretty quick:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/892/winsr.jpg

Still better at the small team games where you can have a larger impact playing properly, less luck with who you are teamed with in my opinion.

There are a lot of unique things about this style of game but a few large drawbacks. I wont get into it all and break it down unless I end up doing a review, but that would have to wait till I reach some of the ranked matches and try more of the unlocked characters.

Jaykub
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Nice review Bob

I played it for a little while and didn't like it too much but I recommend it to anyone that has some time to kill.

LemonRising
09-06-2010, 10:32 PM
For a free game it is pretty fun (mostly if you play with friends haha)
Not for everyone though, that's for sure. hahahaa

My favourite to play is Cho'gath because he likes to nom the **** out of ****.
also he becomes giant and is like a huge Alien.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/88468/1334846-312e302e302e38322d3331_large.jpg

BobTD
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Nice review Bob

I played it for a little while and didn't like it too much but I recommend it to anyone that has some time to kill.

lol not so much a review as an overview. Not much to review until I have tried everything.

Jaykub
09-07-2010, 02:10 AM
lol not so much a review as an overview. Not must to review until I have tried everything.

I plan on giving it another try soon, Maybe we could join a team together sometime or wot ever.

Muffincat
09-07-2010, 05:01 AM
I played it for a while, and it's cool, but I don't think I will be playing anymore.

Also, Lemon, Cho'Gath is awesome XD

jango
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Tbh its similarity to Heroes of Noobwerth made me not want to play it. It's cool you guys are enjoying it though :)

LemonRising
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
lol we'll both are based of dota, so of course they're gonna be similar.

I think LoL just wanted to make one that was available to everyone for free.

Diligence109
09-08-2010, 08:40 AM
remember that LoL was actually developed by the people who made the DotA mod. That's a rather huge detail that hasn't been mentioned here, yet.

The game really is DotA to a tee except that they developed their own game engine to run the game instead of just heavily modifying Warcraft's... the hugest drawback to the game in my mind is the combination of a few facts:

(1) the game has a steep learning curve and, because it follows out of DotA's footsteps, it quite unlike any other RTS you'll play unless you're familiar with DotA (or apparently Heroes of Newerth, which is a game I know nothing about)
(2) the game is a team game. When one person on the team hasn't learned the finer details of the game and can't see the whole battlefield and the rest of their team in their mind at once, they can't play as part of the team. The whole team suffers for this.

these details wouldn't be a huge deal, except that...

(3) the game is played almost (there is the option not to) exclusively online with other players. Many of these players are very competitive. Many of them are unforgiving or unaware of how hard it is to learn how to play this game well and play as a team. Many of them are complete and total dicks.

Because of this one great weakness, it's no surprise that the developers have hosted on their site something they call The Summoners Code (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/articles/The_Summoners_Code). It says, in more words and with detailed application to how these issues present themselves in LoL, to not be a dick. It's not read enough by the game's players.

particularly:

Leave No Newbie Behind!

“Be an opener of doors for such as come after thee.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

We all started somewhere, and if we’re going to do justice to the people who helped us move up the ladder, we have to start by paying homage to our roots. If you see a player having a bad game, or who clearly doesn’t grasp the fundamentals of the genre, try offering some constructive advice. If you do so in a civil and friendly manner, it’s likely that they will be receptive. Oftentimes they’ll be downright grateful that somebody took the time to let them know how to improve instead of yelling at them.

Never get frustrated by an inexperienced player’s performance. At some point, you were just as green as they were, even if it was the day that you downloaded the League of Legends client. Have a little patience, and try and help the player step up to a level where both of you can enjoy the game. At the same time, don’t be discouraged if they aren’t receptive. Some small percentage of players will get hung up on the notion that they don’t need anybody’s help, and, no matter how politely you try to lend a hand, they won’t want to hear it. That’s no reason to give up on the rest of them!

So, I mean, the game isn't for everyone, but if you can get past those drawbacks the game is tons of fun. I've been playing and loving it and I'm helplessly addicted and want to learn everything I can to do better... I love the challenge of learning a deep game, esp one that focuses on playing well with your team :) Also, all of my roommates (three people) play this game so it's starting to become routine that we all close out the day together with a couple rounds of LoL.

Also, Kennen is epic. Also, a ninja. Did I mention he was an epic ninja?
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/11668/1332690-kennen_img_large.jpg

I'm Dilinot in game and you should add me :D

Jaykub
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I forgot to ask, What Lvl is everyone?

jango
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM
remember that LoL was actually developed by the people who made the DotA mod. That's a rather huge detail that hasn't been mentioned here, yet.

Apart from Lemon's post directly above yours :P

+rep Dili .. that was epic.

BobTD
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I dunno what lvl I am. Im such a noob at the game that I can only play one character. =(

Dili invited me to a game and I felt like I cost them the match. =(

So Im going ot try and keep up with everyone but maybe focus on characters that fit my playing style. Im a fan of mages that can farm and still present enough threat to fight more then one enemy at a time.

Morgana has been able to get me more then a few double kills because her special hits every enemy hero in the area and stuns them, so if they gank I can shield, freeze and the lay down AOE and kill in one fluid combo. Unfortunately I dont win any matches unless I play as her. (no really look at my match history lol)

Being able to look at other players match history is also an interesting feature because you can tell who they are good at playing. I like it.

Also, I think strategies need to be discussed, if I could run a few scenarios I think there are a few powerful team strategies that could be used to win games fast. The slow pace of some matches even after they are lost is frustrating. I have won games in as short as 15 min by going strait for towers and ignoring other lanes. If everyone brings the turret skill you can take turns activating it and for for a quick win.

LemonRising
09-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm level 13 hawhaw

I can have good games, and bad games. As dili saw today lmao
FEEDARS

Diligence109
09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Apart from Lemon's post directly above yours :P

she said *based* off of DotA - not *developed* by the same people :P

but yeah. some people are dicks. Lemon and I had a wonderful match earlier today (referenced in her post above) where we kinda sucked at the outset and fed two of the other heroes and our teammate who couldn't seem to grasp that we were still decent human beings beside the fact was shooting slander at us for the entirety of the match.

-.- gonna try another match tonight to see if there are good people in the world D:

Evlesoa
09-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Hmm, what about HoN? Heroes of Newerth? Supposedly it's like a clone of LoL, but idk. Anyone care to write anything about that game?

JamReadyTeacups
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I love LoL, been out of internet for a week and I've missed out on so much daily win bonus IP.

BobTD
09-09-2010, 11:35 PM
speaking of win:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/65/weeee.jpg

It took some work but I like my recent match history now.

Diligence109
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I am pleased because I was a key player on your team in those last three matches :P

oh, btw, Kennen is still an epic ninja that wins at everything forever. I mean, damn, you should just watch me play :P

LemonRising
09-10-2010, 12:02 AM
The last match us three played was pretty bomb. : D
and then I had to run off and be cooler than you guys, as dili says hahaha

bproduction
09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
pretty good

BobTD
09-25-2010, 01:46 AM
so I was hanging at my friends and her roommate plays LOL all the time and she told me to go look up this song so I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8WQWZjlHA

Im so going to be playing this whenever I play Dota clones from now on.

Muffincat
09-25-2010, 09:09 AM
You've never heard that song before, Bob? XD I love Basshunter XD Except that he like redid all his songs with different, lamer lyrics about like being in love with girls or whatever. My friends once had a LAN party I was at where they all played DoTA and they had this song on repeat the entire time :P

BobTD
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I actually have heard it but I didnt know about Dota lol. So I didnt understand the lyrics until I looked up this version with the translation.

Linx_is_me
09-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I had came across a basshunter song , It was in her eyes . I got board and put it up on youtube as I dance like a epileptic . I got like 265 views or something like that . If you want to see it go to my linxisme channel it is my second video .

Sickangel
10-02-2010, 05:05 PM
League of legends is a great game that is still in the early development stages of its increasingly long life. I dont anticipate a better MOBA to come out than LOL.... so i guess you could say that LOL is the WOW of MOBAs. given that the game is free i would recommend this game to anyone.... even though it is extremely difficult to learn for some.... and is still very buggy.... plus the amount of teamwork it takes can wear you down pretty badly during one of your hour long matches especially if you have a bad teammate... or 4.... the community of LoL is somewhat juvenile and is extremely rude.... still a good game none the less.

Tvae
10-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Ah, League of Legends. Love this game.

Been playing it since Beta... Started with Tristana, did okay with her. Went on to Heimerdinger for a while, back when all he was really used for was making turret nests - fun for stomping new players, but easily stopped by people who knew what they were doing. Stopped shortly before people really started to abuse his double-rocket bug.

Nowadays, my main is Singed, but unfortunately I don't play as much anymore (I blame schoolwork, a cappella, work and Minecraft, but that's a different story).

...I should learn to play Tristana again... I mean, she hasn't really changed any since I started, so it shouldn't be too hard.

BobTD
10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Im getting my brother to try LOL now. We will see how that turns out, he is a pretty competitive gamer so if he likes it we might have a team int he works. Now if I can just recruit diligence and some others...

Hellebore0129
10-17-2010, 05:42 AM
If your a really competitive player and are really into PvP, LoL can be a blast. One of the best free games out there imo. I encourage everyone to try it. Try not to feel overwhelmed, just get used to the game and things pick up

LemonRising
10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
It's really good for new players, it starts off fairly easy then as your level increases, so does the difficulty.

Playing with teams is funn

Aizen
10-17-2010, 02:59 PM
This game was pretty fun, and there are some pretty helpful sites out there that allow you to understand the heroes better, and know some builds and things like that.

i would recommend it to laid back players as well as hardcore DoTA fans.

LemonRising
10-17-2010, 03:37 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure they release videos for new heroes, to explain what they're good at, their skills, and some tactics.

Sickangel
10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, they are called champion spotlights....
They are marketing their champions so people buy them.
Also another reason why lately they have been making their new champions extra
powerful....

BobTD
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I dont know about that. They must have some way to balance out the gameplay. I find that often its just people having a hard time bringing out their characters full potential or not playing properly.

The latest hero, the master tactician really is hard to use properly, but he seems about as powerful as anubis when used right.

I would argue that even someone as soft and squishy as vlad could handle him easily.

dylanm504
10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
ive heard that this is a good game but what are some other good strategy games?

Drank Turtle
02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Best Game Ever!! (y)