PDA

View Full Version : Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater

EpsilonX
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
So, most of you probably don't care about this, but as Dream Theater are one of my favorite bands, i'm gonna post about it

Sputnikmusic - Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater (http://sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=15323)

Mike Portnoy, drummer and founding member of progressive metal band Dream Theater, has left the band after 25 years.

Portnoy broke the news on Facebook: "I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write.

"After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

"To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

"After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater.

"Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break.

Not sure what to think about this, because
1. he's probably going to end up joining Avenged Sevenfold
2. who's good enough to replace him in Dream Theater?
3. Mike wrote most of the recent stuff, and i'd rather the other guys took a bigger writing role
4. Mike was basically the frontman of the band, and handled most of the setlist stuff as well as setting up meet and greets, and releasing special demos and stuff, if he's gone they're gonna lose a big part of them

Diligence109
09-08-2010, 11:04 PM
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

I care! Goodness... this is sad news :( At least they have a formidable discography in their wake, already.