PDA

View Full Version : new guy, moving on up...

creeto
09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I have loved lurking on this forum for a while (everybody seems to have info and well informed opinions) and finally decided to sign up and post. This place is amazing.

Having tons of work and schoolwork for years now, I have been doing my limited PC gaming and the occasional seasonal Madden and MLB throwdown competitions on my old XBOX (no 360 there) with friends. I have enjoyed playing on everybody else's consoles and finally think it may be time to breakdown and buy a 360. I figured this would be the place to go to get the best idea.
I play very few games but tend to play "seasons" of Madden (2005 is my favorite but I like the newer ones, just don't have them) and various MLB games. I don't have time to sit around for hours and get killed at the spawning spot, I don't do hardcore online killing (used to, not anymore). I play for an hour or so here and there.

I also have a young kid and he should be ready for the really kiddy games soon. I am not loaded with cash and I believe an XBOX 360 would be more our speed (I tried a Wii, thinking about something for the woman and son but I just don't like the numbchucks etc. PS3 is just way too expensive)

I have seen the new SLIM 4gb units within my price range and see the Arcade "Spring" Bundles with Banjo Kazooie (? I think that was it) getting priced down. If I want to mainly play Madden and MLB in the comfort of my living room without online stuff, would either of these units be the right thing to do? I see the Arcade console has even less memory than the Slim 4g and heard the 4g had some memory recognition issues already.
What would you do in my shoes?

jango
09-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Now .. THAT'S a decent intro post!

First of all welcome Creeto, nice to see you here. I'm a PC gamer myself, but I'm sure some of the others will comment on crapsoles, I mean, 'consoles'. On the PC do you play anything else other than Madden? (*prays*) :p

When you get some time read through the rules and faqs .. get in touch if you have any questions. Also, when you feel like it drop by IRC some time to meet a few of the guys. Look forward to seeing more posts and awesomeness from you soon :)

BobTD
09-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Now .. THAT'S a decent intro post!

For certain. I like this fellow already. I dont usually so intro threads but....

Nice to meet you creeto! While I have a 360 and a wii and gaming PC... PS2... psp.... GBA... SNES, SEGA Dreamcast, Genesis, NES... ect. Im not sure Im qualified to give you the best advice as Im not really an expert on sports games because I really dont have any. If you arent looking for online gaming the wii doesn't just have the nunchucks available, but then again I dont know if they have major sports titles ported from other consoles either. Or if they would be gimmiky motion sensor using things.

On impulse I wanted to say that the 360 was the best choice. Keeping in mind you probably want to play up to date games you dont want a cheep but good system like a ps2 then right? you want something that keeps up with current players and the newer graphics.

The thing is Im not entirely sold myself on the 360 over the PS3. I think if you do end up playing online you might just be better off buying a PS3 because you will make up for its price not having to pay the xboxlive fee. And it you have a nice TV you could put its slightly better looks to use.

I guess saving up an extra month or two would be better then buying something you aren't sure about just because it was a little cheaper.

LemonRising
09-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Welcome!
I figure either console will satisfy your needs, but if you main worry is price, you're probably gonna be paying around the same in total. idk listen to other people, they know what they're talking about <:

Goodluck to you on your quest! : D

Charlotte
09-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Having tons of work and schoolwork for years now, I have been doing my limited PC gaming and the occasional seasonal Madden and MLB throwdown competitions on my old XBOX (no 360 there) with friends. I have enjoyed playing on everybody else's consoles and finally think it may be time to breakdown and buy a 360. I figured this would be the place to go to get the best idea.
I play very few games but tend to play "seasons" of Madden (2005 is my favorite but I like the newer ones, just don't have them) and various MLB games. I don't have time to sit around for hours and get killed at the spawning spot, I don't do hardcore online killing (used to, not anymore). I play for an hour or so here and there.

I also have a young kid and he should be ready for the really kiddy games soon. I am not loaded with cash and I believe an XBOX 360 would be more our speed (I tried a Wii, thinking about something for the woman and son but I just don't like the numbchucks etc. PS3 is just way too expensive)

I have seen the new SLIM 4gb units within my price range and see the Arcade "Spring" Bundles with Banjo Kazooie (? I think that was it) getting priced down. If I want to mainly play Madden and MLB in the comfort of my living room without online stuff, would either of these units be the right thing to do? I see the Arcade console has even less memory than the Slim 4g and heard the 4g had some memory recognition issues already.
What would you do in my shoes?
What a post!

For certain. I like this fellow already. I dont usually so intro threads but....

Nice to meet you creeto! While I have a 360 and a wii and gaming PC... PS2... psp.... GBA... SNES, SEGA Dreamcast, Genesis, NES... ect. Im not sure Im qualified to give you the best advice as Im not really an expert on sports games because I really dont have any. If you arent looking for online gaming the wii doesn't just have the nunchucks available, but then again I dont know if they have major sports titles ported from other consoles either. Or if they would be gimmiky motion sensor using things.

On impulse I wanted to say that the 360 was the best choice. Keeping in mind you probably want to play up to date games you dont want a cheep but good system like a ps2 then right? you want something that keeps up with current players and the newer graphics.

The thing is Im not entirely sold myself on the 360 over the PS3. I think if you do end up playing online you might just be better off buying a PS3 because you will make up for its price not having to pay the xboxlive fee. And it you have a nice TV you could put its slightly better looks to use.

I guess saving up an extra month or two would be better then buying something you aren't sure about just because it was a little cheaper.

And what a reply!

And by the way welcome to our forum. Have fun!

creeto
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It is very welcoming.
It is so great how many different types of gamers there are represented here.
I got similar reactions from gaming friends. They all want me to slap a headset on and frag with them, only it is tough with a baby on your arm and a paper to write. I tried online stuff years ago and the only thing I really liked (and I was single and unemployed then, with tons of time) Wolfenstein online and Call of Duty. I just don't game like that anymore.
Since I have a Mac now, there aren't a lot of games I can play there. So the XBOx 360 seems like the way to go since I need to keep it inexpensive. I have read you can put some memory sticks in the 4gb to increase that, the arcade bundle has less memory and I wonder if I can use a flash drive there too?

jango
09-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I just don't game like that anymore.

Oh my .. this is exactly the same for me. I used to play cod1, moh, planetside, etc etc .. but these days it holds my interest for about half a second before I'm looking for more depth.

We should try and hook up on IRC sometime (link in my sig) .. I have the distinct feeling we'll get along ..

HamadaLFC8
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey dude! It's good that some people still care about their intro posts! =D

So welcome to Gamers Forum! I'm sure you'll enjoy it ;)

Jaykub
09-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome to gamers-forum!

I hope you have fun, don't forget to read the rules.

BobTD
09-18-2010, 04:10 AM
are you looking for good original xbox games to play online? Because I dont know many or any really that are still around. For the original box you are better off playing RPGS like morrowind and fabel.d\

apologies for being so drunk tonight.

Iceskater101
09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
welcome!
xbox 360 is the way to go
I love my 360 its pretty awesome! :)

Linx_is_me
09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome to GF , enjoy your stay . It seems kinda cool how for a while you just read stuff . So why did you not just sign up from the start . Also I did not know you could view post if you did not sign up . I learn something new everyday . Anyways welcome to the forum.