PDA

View Full Version : AMD's last hurrah for its 90nm X2 processors: the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition

lonewolfxix
08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
AMD's last hurrah for its 90nm X2 processors: the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition

AMD's last hurrah for its 90nm AM2 X2 processors appears to be the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition.

Operating at 3.2GHz, carrying 2MiB L2 cache, and fitting inside the same thermal envelope as the current X2 6000+ - 125W TDP - the retail processor will, apparently, ship in a black box. Black is synonymous with death in many cultures, so is the final rattle from an architecture that has served AMD well but is now showing its age against price-cut Intel Core 2 Duo/Quads? We think so.

The fastest-clocked X2 processor should be available at the end of the month, in limited quantities, and, presumably, at an attractive price point.

Source: AMD's last hurrah for its 90nm X2 processors: the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9576)

So it was over a year ago that AMD last ruled the CPU market over Intel with enthusiasts all over the world running on the better AMD processors. Then Intel after many years of being the under dog with their out-dated Net-Burst architecture bounced back, since then more people have been returning, or indeed, going to their first intel system since building computers, and have left AMD for dead. This is my personal experience, I love AMD processors, and alot of my friends did too, but I quote from a friend who used to be alongside AMD with all his processor choices, "AMD sucks and they're going to die" it's a shame to see the well loved Athlon64 K8/9 architecture die after ruling for 5years and their supreme performance, but now the next generation of AMD's are coming to hopefully de-crown Intel to become the best in the processor market again :D

I want one of these processors that mark the end of the first generation of processors with integrated memory controllers.

AMD, you still have loyal users.