PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero III- Metallica Sues Harmonix...

Scott
08-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Unforgiven: Metallica sues Red Octane, Activision, and Harmonix
Posted Aug 14, 2007 at 02:20PM by Ryan A.

Harmonix confirmed back in July that the legendary rock band Metallica is coming to Rock Band (PS3 and Xbox 360). Also earlier this month both Red Octane and Activision came up with a similar announcement for Guitar Hero III that is scheduled to be released on Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 platforms.

But what's this? We just got word that Metallica is currently suing the above mentioned companies for copyright infringement. According to the band's lawyer, what the three companies is planning to do is actually under the "licensed music to player" system otherwise known as LM2P network.

Harmonix wasn't able to provide an initial statement regarding the matter but the counsel for Red Octane and Activision had this to say:

Our company paid a licensing fee to feature the track 'One' by Metallica in Guitar Hero III. We don't understand why Metallica would turn around and sue us, unless they've gone from insane completely bat**** insane since 2001, but we're confident that the law and our contracts will be enough to have this thrown out.

Metallica's counsel, on the other hand, explained that the band is fearful that album sales will decline because consumers can easily get hold of their songs just by purchasing video game titles. The lawyer added, "The band learned its lesson the hard way with file sharing in the late 90s. This time they want to do a pre-emptive strike before the music

http://xbox360.qj.net/Unforgiven-Met...g/49/aid/99918

Christ, can Metallica sink any lower? Classic band that now cares too much about money. I am sure that Red Octane, and Activision will win easily and get the song on that game.

comfortablynumb.
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
wow, i remeber a time when i thought metallica was a cool band, back when they were thrash,
this reminds me of when they sued and shut down napster because they said "they were losing sales to this music stealing program" when really no one was buying there new CD because it sucked badly
i agree, they've really sunk to new low,
well i guess now that there music sucks there trying to squeeze every penny out of there old music
which means sueing people for useing it

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
lol, i still like metallica's music, well some of them, but yes, this is very low, COME ON GUYS let the kids play to your music lol, what's next? Metallica Sues the whole Music world to use the word Metal as a music genre - Copyright of their name :-P

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow, It's a shame that all these companies are being sued by Metallica as far as most people are concerned, but that's wrong! Do not bunch all of Metallica with Lars. HE'S the one suing all these companies, the rest of Metallica are just like.. normal. Metallica has gotten worse yes.. and Lars has turned into a greedy bastard, ever since he sued Napster alongside Britney Spears.

It's a shame about it though.. they were probably licensed to put the music in their games too, but Lars wants mooore money!