PDA

View Full Version : General Info Strategy Games

TimmoUK
10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Just bought Civilization III from steam as it was only £2.99, anyone got any tips etc as it's the first time I have played a PC strategy game.

Also having a look at Rome: Total War - Anthology, Empire: Total War & Napoleon and Sid Meier's Civilization V. What are these games like, are they worth buying? The only game I have for my PC at the moment is COD 2.

CroDruid
10-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I am interested too for Civilization III!

TimmoUK
10-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Anyone care to share their opinion?

jango
10-10-2010, 04:35 AM
OK .. you asked for it!

Just bought Civilization III from steam as it was only £2.99

lol nice .. steam have some nice little deals every now and then :)

anyone got any tips etc as it's the first time I have played a PC strategy game.

Most games have a tutorial, even if it's part of the first few levels in the single player campaign - those will help a lot for getting familiar with the game's basics. There's also a lot of in-game hel pat time too, from decent tooltips to advisors. Start there and learn (it's not taxing at all rly) .. sometimes playing a skirmish after this is helpful so you can experiment with different strategies to determine your own playing style.

Also having a look at Rome: Total War - Anthology, Empire: Total War & Napoleon and Sid Meier's Civilization V. What are these games like, are they worth buying?

Well Civ5 is sooooo addictive, with each game taking a good deal of time to complete. The game itself isn't as complex, beautiful, or difficult as something like Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) and not as easy as Settlers 7 - this isn't a good OR bad point. Civ5 sits in between these two on just about EVERY respect, and is a good compromise for a balanced strategy gamer, and imo a newbie too. I did a review for Civ5 (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16534) you might find useful .. and yes, despite my initial 'wtf' about it, it's worth getting over other similar titles in its bracket.

As for Total War, I've found most of those games a strange mix of win and fail. I also saw the anthology you mentioned and considered it, but with the 3 games I mentioned in the paragraph above, and games like Company of Heroes and so on lurking on my PC it didn't seem worth it .. after all i have plenty of better games to play despite Total War not being 'total' crap :p

That's my opinion anyway Tim .. hope you find it useful :)

Charlotte
10-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Civilization III is an old game? Maybe that y it's pretty cheap.

jango
10-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Civilization III is an old game? Maybe that y it's pretty cheap.

Yeah .. I have a feeling he knew that ..

TimmoUK
10-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Cheers for the feedback. Just before I read this I bought Anno 1404 from Game (Weird).

Getting into Civilization now, will probably get the girlfriend to buy me Civ 5 for Christmas.