PDA

View Full Version : Humane society

Jokersvirus
10-11-2010, 09:57 PM
So... can someone explain to me how its ok to throw animals on TV and say "pay me 20 bucks a month and I will help an animal" Thats kinda harsh and extremely annoying. There are famous people who have done the commercials why dont they fund this? I hate people who ask for money and yet they must likely made alot of money in the process.

/rawr

Diligence109
10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
wait.. is that how that works? I mean, I thought if someone famous went to the trouble to devote themself to something philanthropic they were essentially giving their time and influence to charity... how do they make money in the process?

I must be misunderstanding your post XD

jango
10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
lol joker .. it's not compulsary .. you can turn over!

Jokersvirus
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Its America, somehow someway they are making money.

We are led to believe all that money goes to the animals and equipment, yah... no someone is making money like the CEO.

Ilyich Valken
10-11-2010, 10:33 PM
wait.. is that how that works? I mean, I thought if someone famous went to the trouble to devote themself to something philanthropic they were essentially giving their time and influence to charity... how do they make money in the process?

I must be misunderstanding your post XD

Well, technically they'd be getting paid for doing the commercial. But other than that, he means that anyone famous enough to be on said commercials (ideally) would be well-off enough that they could donate a good chunk of money to the charity.

Jokersvirus
10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Pretty much Ilyich.

Well if we are going to have people throw out societies for animals, children in 3rd world countries where we dont even know if our money will get to them. Why not make a police fund? Obama took away over 15% from the federal fund to do something stupid with it. SO throw officers on the screen who died in the line of service and ask for 20 bucks a month. its only fair.

LemonRising
10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I guess it varies.
Actually I was watching something and it was showing how a lot of charities don't make much of a profit because they pay larger companies money to advertise and reach out. These companies are the ones that such up all these nice people's charity monies.
It's also why I don't donate money.

I know some celebrities do more than just appear in some commercials and ads, but mang. PETA. I just. cant stand PETA advertising. it's so... fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
also peta is way too shady.

i lost what i was saying. /gives up

Dess
10-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't donate money.... but I donate time..

I volunteer at the local Humane Society, and the Zoo...

Time is way more valuable than money.

Th3-devils-princess
10-12-2010, 06:19 AM
i agree probably not even a 3rd of what you donate gets to the them!!!
and they always show a picture after you have donated what with that lol ???

:) :) :)

LiNuX
10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Its America, somehow someway they are making money.

We are led to believe all that money goes to the animals and equipment, yah... no someone is making money like the CEO.

True but you're looking at it from the wrong perspectives. Charities are non-profit organizations. Although it's true the CEO as well as the other people involved get paid, the company makes no profit - any money made is usually put back into the charity to help the animals (kids, etc.). And the money these CEOs and owners make is nothing compared to the private sector. Otherwise, I'm sure people would find ways to attack them.

As for the actors...they don't get paid for doing the commercials. But they save on their taxes. There is a section on your taxes for Charities and you can turn the time spent at these charities or the things you do (such as commercials) into deductibles. (I don't think charities are refundable taxes, should be deductible) - So even though they don't get paid directly, they probably save from paying a $100k on taxes or something every year (depending on the actor of course).

So yeah..the CEO and all the other workers have to get paid. After all, whatever they do is their job and they have families to look after. Most of these workers aren't volunteers, the volunteers are different story, they don't get paid at all but they aren't obligated to do anything either unlike the CEOs and workers who are obligated to do their work.

As for the commercials...I agree they just try to make you feel bad into donating money and I disagree with that tactic. It's complete manipulation because they know some people can't help themselves when they see a sick puppy or something.

I just realized how much I wrote - I'm not declaring myself as an expert on anything, I just have some experience from the tax perspective and I had to read up on stuff like this for that purpose. So it's just some of the stuff I know. So everything in this post besides the comment about the commercial tactic is objective!

Lylock
10-14-2010, 04:12 PM
True but you're looking at it from the wrong perspectives. Charities are non-profit organizations. Although it's true the CEO as well as the other people involved get paid, the company makes no profit - any money made is usually put back into the charity to help the animals (kids, etc.). And the money these CEOs and owners make is nothing compared to the private sector. Otherwise, I'm sure people would find ways to attack them.

As for the actors...they don't get paid for doing the commercials. But they save on their taxes. There is a section on your taxes for Charities and you can turn the time spent at these charities or the things you do (such as commercials) into deductibles. (I don't think charities are refundable taxes, should be deductible) - So even though they don't get paid directly, they probably save from paying a $100k on taxes or something every year (depending on the actor of course).

So yeah..the CEO and all the other workers have to get paid. After all, whatever they do is their job and they have families to look after. Most of these workers aren't volunteers, the volunteers are different story, they don't get paid at all but they aren't obligated to do anything either unlike the CEOs and workers who are obligated to do their work.

As for the commercials...I agree they just try to make you feel bad into donating money and I disagree with that tactic. It's complete manipulation because they know some people can't help themselves when they see a sick puppy or something.

I just realized how much I wrote - I'm not declaring myself as an expert on anything, I just have some experience from the tax perspective and I had to read up on stuff like this for that purpose. So it's just some of the stuff I know. So everything in this post besides the comment about the commercial tactic is objective!

Took the words out of my mouth.

Charities are regulated by law, and 'apparently' (quotes because I'm not really knowledgable about charities) they are forced to give their money otherwise won't be registered as a charity.

Iceskater101
10-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Time is way more valuable than money.

True that!
but if I could I would volunteer at the Humane Society because I love animals but I can't because I have no way of getting there soo. I can't
but I hate seeing those commercials because they are so sad! :(

Jaykub
10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
We live in a sick and twisted world. This is on the bottom of the list tbh.