PDA

View Full Version : IE,Firefox Or Opera?

Scott
08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Post what web browser you use.

I use Firefox.

LiNuX
08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
i use IE for different reasons, i use firefox sometimes too, and opera to test stuff :D

u should vote in ur own polls scott lol :-P

Scott
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Right I've voted. Well I have tried Opera it was ok. But I had to get rid of it. My computer was too slow lol

lonewolfxix
08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
--------TOPIC MOVED---------
I use Firefox though I generally also have Opera and NetScape installed to test stuff.. I might also add Safari to that list of browsers I use as I should test my sites with all browsers :P It's also meant to be really good and secure.. which Firefox recently has been having problems with both.

xeysz
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I use FireFox and Opera on my computer but for the Wii it only uses Opera. So I voted Opera :P

LiNuX
08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
wii uses opera? thought it used safari or something lol, and PSP uses firefox too :D dont know about xbox 360 or ps3 tho, im assuming its firefox

Scott
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
wii uses opera? thought it used safari or something lol, and PSP uses firefox too :D dont know about xbox 360 or ps3 tho, im assuming its firefox

The PS3 has a fully functional web browser, developed internally by Sony. Much like the PSP browser, the PS3 browser also supports bookmarks and most other standard features found in modern web browsers.

But I don't know about the Xbox 360

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 12:13 AM
wow cool, and i just remembered that psp doesnt use firefox, it uses mozilla lol, the other non-firefox version :D

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 06:32 AM
The Xbox 360 has it's own browser now? I love how they make all these features in the browser sound special but they're all just normal things in any other browser lol, I knew Xbox 460 has MSN IM but not a web browser which is most likely Internet Exploder.

Drake14
08-16-2007, 06:34 AM
FF all the way for me :D it's all i ever use all the time :D

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 07:14 AM
FireFox has been having a lot of problems lately, it's quite worrying.

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM

well they update often but i think its more vulnerable to viruses and etc..than both IE and Opera

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Well it is an open source browser which until recent months was totally fine as not as many used it back then but now loads of people use it! My friend got his mom using it i think I recall him saying, and his grandparents. Quite amusing. But I've noticed FireFox sometimes hits 100% load which worries me sometimes. It's mainly when it's on for an hour or so.

Drake14
08-16-2007, 11:34 AM

i've been using FireFox for at least a year now and i haven't had one single problem with it. Everyone keeps telling me how horrible it is, yet i've not had a single problem with it.

LiNuX
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
i've been using FireFox for at least a year now and i haven't had one single problem with it. Everyone keeps telling me how horrible it is, yet i've not had a single problem with it.

cuz its ur luck lol :D i know someone that got attacked with a few viruses first time using firefox lol, but its all with luck, that incident was well over a year ago tho :twitcy:

XiMMiX
08-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I like firefox but i use windows explorer 7 its cool

lonewolfxix
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Windows explorer 7? thought it was still internet exploder 7... Firefox tells you of all files, internet exploder just accepts them whenever it wants.

ub3rj0hn
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Firefox is probably my favorite out of those choices. :)

lonewolfxix
08-21-2007, 05:56 PM
What if others were added into the mix? like Mozilla's less popular but still pretty awesome "SeaMonkey" and Apple's Safari for Windows and Mozilla's Camino for Apple Crapintosh?

LiNuX
08-21-2007, 11:11 PM
i used both safari and camino before, also some other weird ones, including the netscape, aol, and netzero browsers, those dialup ones suck lol

lonewolfxix
08-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Haha, I remember Go!Zilla, I think it was a Mozilla browser, it saved the data you wanted to you could browse offline I think, I never used it, I expect that was a dial up browser but I never really used the internet till I got broadband, it's still an idea in this days with ISP's that disconnect every few minutes >.>

Thor Erik
08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
--------TOPIC MOVED---------
I use Firefox though I generally also have Opera and NetScape installed to test stuff.. I might also add Safari to that list of browsers I use as I should test my sites with all browsers :P It's also meant to be really good and secure.. which Firefox recently has been having problems with both.

Netscape is what we call depreciated, the Netscape 9 browser is firefox with a new skin and some extra functions.

www.opera.com ;)
Xbox 360 if it has a browser is likley to use IE(duh, it's MS we are talking about!)

well they update often but i think its more vulnerable to viruses and etc..than both IE and Opera
Viruses isn't the big issue, it's the bugs and exploits ;)

Windows explorer 7? thought it was still internet exploder 7... Firefox tells you of all files, internet exploder just accepts them whenever it wants.

Litle writing mistake i guess, but there is a "Windows Explorer V7" :P it's the one used in Vista, it's basicly running partially on ie.

myself i run mainly Flock, wich is a Firefox fork, but since all my other pc's run Opera on daily basis it was opera i voted for :radar:

ps.
i do use the others too, IE 7, Safari(both osx(on my pc) and windows)

lonewolfxix
08-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I meant internet exploder 7 ;) Same thing, most people still don't use Vista though an incredibly high ammount of copies have been shipped. Well, okay, it's Windows Exploder 7, but that's less fun to poke fun at that Internet Exploder 7.

Thor Erik
08-23-2007, 06:03 AM
I meant internet exploder 7 ;) Same thing, most people still don't use Vista though an incredibly high ammount of copies have been shipped. Well, okay, it's Windows Exploder 7, but that's less fun to poke fun at that Internet Exploder 7.

first, it's Explorer, not exploder, and be somewhat gratefull that MS is actually trying to do something right, afterall, 15 years on the top do get into your head ;-)

lonewolfxix
08-23-2007, 03:37 PM
I still prefer Exploder, remember: IE sucks and crashes and has loads of flaws, hence ExploDer. The only reason they've started getting it right is because the general public are becoming more aware of other browsers and though back in the mid 90's to early 2000's they could control companies to only install IE it now doesn't matter as much as the general public are more aware of other more secure, faster browsers, if everyone was still dull as before, Microsoft would have no reason to improve IE or WE as it's now known.

Thor Erik
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I still prefer Exploder, remember: IE sucks and crashes and has loads of flaws, hence ExploDer. The only reason they've started getting it right is because the general public are becoming more aware of other browsers and though back in the mid 90's to early 2000's they could control companies to only install IE it now doesn't matter as much as the general public are more aware of other more secure, faster browsers, if everyone was still dull as before, Microsoft would have no reason to improve IE or WE as it's now known.

Ok fix some mistakes:
IE isn't slowest of it's class, Firefox is, it's just that FF uses Progressive rendering, who means it displayes as it renders(this letting you feel it has higher speed)
IE Dosen't have more or less flaws than FireFox, infact they are equal there, but Firefox's are infact more dangerus(eg. 3 overflow exploits in 3 versions (2.x) and a couple of memory read errors :P)

Pre 2k, the dominating browser wasn't IE, infact it was Netscape, but then NS died prity much, so IE took over. and there has it been until ~2k, where Firefox came, and began fighting, and by having google reccomend it(and prity much forcing users to use Gecko based browsers) Firefox has gained allot.
Companies have been the ones best to not use IE during the 90's, since most ISP's provided browsers they had to use to get connected, most of these where either mozilla or NS based ;)

About crashing in IE, i really wonder what you have done...
Browsing naughty sites maybe?

lonewolfxix
08-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Internet Exploder lets all ActiveX controllers run without any interaction form the user, if an ActiveX controller is loaded it's allowed to load whatever it wants onto a PC, the MSN viruses rely on Internet exploder to load viruses onto the PC, once upon a time, companies could choose which browser was allowed to be loaded onto the operating system and Internet Exploder was an optional extra until Microsoft made it compulsory to install in Windows 98. Firefox used to be a great browser and still is in a few ways, as things get more popular, so do more people try and use it to spread viruses etc.

Until 98, NetScape was popular, then IE came compulsory and nobody wanted a different browser as they refuse to install their own :)

Thor Erik
08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Internet Exploder lets all ActiveX controllers run without any interaction form the user, if an ActiveX controller is loaded it's allowed to load whatever it wants onto a PC, the MSN viruses rely on Internet exploder to load viruses onto the PC, once upon a time, companies could choose which browser was allowed to be loaded onto the operating system and Internet Exploder was an optional extra until Microsoft made it compulsory to install in Windows 98. Firefox used to be a great browser and still is in a few ways, as things get more popular, so do more people try and use it to spread viruses etc.

Until 98, NetScape was popular, then IE came compulsory and nobody wanted a different browser as they refuse to install their own :)
Internet Explorer dose not allow all ActiveX controllers to run, but the controllers it know is safe(Flash, wmp etc.) if it dose that at your hose, then you or someone other has allowed it to do that ;)
Firefox isn't any better, you got all the varius "addons" you can install, these are just as bad.
IE isn't compulsory anymore as of 30th November, Vista has been released in n version, who dosen't have IE, wmp, mail etc. pre-installed.
This is because of a trail in EU, where MS was demanded to not include them in a special version (date i think was 25th aug 2005)

lonewolfxix
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
from 98 till 2005+ they were compulsory, and this is an older one but here's proof that IE has loads of problems with ActiveX controllers and security holes
CNET IE Security holes put surfers at risk (http://news.com.com/2100-1023-230253.html) This one's old but I can't find another one.

Firefox's addons are installed at the user's choice and none are required but IE's ActiveX controllers though making the user's input minimal can put a pc at a lot of risk, this may have changed but i haven't read up on IE recently.

Thor Erik
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
That changed with SP1 for 2k... welcome to the 21st century :P

lonewolfxix
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
More recent.. just under a year ago.. which was the last time I really looked at Internet exploder last.. Link (http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/security/news/article.php/3632636)
Then here's another one.. August 15th 2007... Link (http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/08/15/226206/latest-microsoft-flaws-affect-windows-ie-excel.htm)
Not sure if there's one more recent than that :P

Thor Erik
08-24-2007, 05:57 PM
More recent.. just under a year ago.. which was the last time I really looked at Internet exploder last.. Link (http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/security/news/article.php/3632636)
Then here's another one.. August 15th 2007... Link (http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/08/15/226206/latest-microsoft-flaws-affect-windows-ie-excel.htm)
Not sure if there's one more recent than that :P
Guess what was an issue with Firefox 1.x - 2.0.0.1? the same...
Seccunia reported it and they did't fix it... that IS bad, compared to ms, Firefox don't give a s**** about seccunia advisory

lonewolfxix
08-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Mozilla are practically non profit as far as i'm concerned, they run 3 open source browsers, where as microsoft runs a single browser and a few operating systems and has an empire about $58billion? Fact is, viruses were more common for IE and more people got them as they were mostly uneducated, how many times have you been on MSN and seen someone send a zip file generally about 3kb in size or a link like "i sent you a private message at this site" or "i rate her 20 ;) rateme.com/virus.php"

I've seen people message me things like that, I ask how they got it, they said they opened a website or file their friend sent them and there was nothing there.. they were infected, most of them because of internet explorer downloading anything it wanted, firefox generally asks.

I'd love to see you juggle 3 browsers, 1 mail client, a desktop suite and a job and a family life and still have time to fix every single bug every person finds. =/

Thor Erik
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
The Mozilla Foundation got PAID workers that maintain their Opensource projects(like Novell)
Fixing bug is a part of the job of doing sutch a job, and when their job actually is to do this, they should do it...

xeysz
08-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Opera used to cost $$$.

It loads up in like two seconds, great for a quick search.

But, FF add-ons will slow you down though they are great.

Thor Erik
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM
yea, but Opera asa(the company) found out they did't gain any money on that, but the fact that other companies liked the product and DONATED money xD

Kiss
10-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I always use firefox starting when IE4 gave me a virus:mad1:
Edit sorry if there is a bumping rule ididn't notice

LiNuX
10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I always use firefox starting when IE4 gave me a virus:mad1:
Edit sorry if there is a bumping rule ididn't notice

dont worry no bumping rule yet - your post will pass lol :D

when did that virus attack occur? IE4 was a while back lol, maybe upgrading the explorer would have helped.

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I have never used anything below I.E 5 :) lol. They were all rubbish anyway lol and pop ups came up alot. Firefox is the way to go XD

LiNuX
10-10-2007, 06:27 PM
i've used IE4 before on my really really really old computer - but back then it was new and no viruses could penetrate its awesome security lol but that was over 5 or 6 years ago at least

Kiss
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
dont worry no bumping rule yet - your post will pass lol :D

when did that virus attack occur? IE4 was a while back lol, maybe upgrading the explorer would have helped.
I used it when i was 13 or something iv don't remember but what it did was my dad used that pc for backup files and it erased everything and the same thing happened to his work computer so you imagine we swithched

LiNuX
10-10-2007, 06:31 PM
wow that wasnt too far ago then, they hda IE5 back then, should have upgraded lol

i never had problem with ie - firefox crashes on my school laptop for some reason, maybe its cuz i dont let it upgrade lol - opera is always better than both

conman1000
12-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I perosnally use IE, I just have gotten used to it.

jakncoke
12-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Used IE for like 2 years, then switched to Firefox and now I'll never touch IE before, tryed Opera once it was terrible as well.

Cook Crack
12-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I use anything I can get depending on where I am at at that time.

KittyCat72
12-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I think we have Firefox, but I only use Internet Explorer.

jakncoke
12-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Firefox is pwning the poll as it should, too bad the most the world still uses IE. I think it's something like 76% use IE , 14% for Firefox and then Opera for like 4% and then the rest is divided by other browsers

UltraBoom
12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I have IE 7 and Firefox but i use firefox IE is Too slow for me...

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Firefox is pwning the poll as it should, too bad the most the world still uses IE. I think it's something like 76% use IE , 14% for Firefox and then Opera for like 4% and then the rest is divided by other browsers

i actually use all three - from traffic stats for this forum - about 50% if IE - and 30% of Firefox - less than 5% opera and you can spread the rest around on mozilla, phones, psp, safari, and etc..

Aizen
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I use Google Chrome. FF is to slow and freezes on me all the time.

hidekipooj
10-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I won't touch IE with a 20-foot pole.

Firefox ftw.

LemonRising
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Firefox.

Because it's a fox and that fox is on fire.

luis7k9
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Firefox =D...sometimes IE..only soooooooemtimes lol

LiNuX
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
this is a pretty old thread - we should make a new one and include google chrome - I use Chrome on my laptop provided by my college - and firefox everywhere else.

HamadaLFC8
10-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I used IE like a year and a half ago then I became more interested in computers so firefox it is!

suesam21
12-11-2009, 01:35 AM
I like opera but i'm comfortable with the firefox and it's add-ons.