PDA

View Full Version : Scientists break the speed of light

Scott
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
lINK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=475587&in_page_id=1965)

Looks like a time machine is right around the corner lol

lonewolfxix
08-17-2007, 09:49 AM
It would be nice if you made sure your links work :)
Scientists break the speed of light (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=475587&in_page_id=1965)

Scientists break the speed of light

It was supposed to be the one speed limit you cannot break.

But scientists claim to have demonstrated there is the possibility of travel faster than the speed of light.

The feat contradicts one of the key tenets of Einstein's special theory of relativity - that nothing, under any circumstances, can move faster than 186,000 miles per second, or the speed of light.

Travelling faster than light also, in theory, turns back time. According to conventional physics, an astronaut moving beyond light speed would arrive at his destination before leaving.

But two German physicists claim to have forced light to overcome its own speed limit using the strange phenomenon of quantum tunnelling, in which particles summon up the energy to cross an apparently uncrossable barrier.

Their experiments focused on the travel of microwave photons - energetic packets of light - through two prisms.

When the prisms were moved apart, most photons reflected off the first prism they encountered and were picked up by a detector.

But a few appeared to "tunnel" through a gap separating them as if the prisms were still held together.

Although these photons had travelled a longer distance, they arrived at their detector at the same time as the reflected photons. This suggests that the transit between the two prisms was faster than the speed of light.

Dr Gunter Nimtz, of the University of Koblenz, told the magazine New Scientist: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you were to travel the speed of light you won't be able to see the past or travel back into it, a time machine, as far as i'm concerned, is impossible, the only way to see back in time is to look into space, the stars you see is how they were years, 100s of years possibly 1000 of years ago, so technically the only way you can see into the past is to travel at say double the speed of light and then land on a planet millions of light years away and use a telescope to look back.. As quoted in a song of early In Flames "Buy me a trip to the moon so I can look back and laugh at my mistakes"

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
wow thats crazy loland i think we cant travel faster than light as we would disintergrate as everything is made up o compressed light so?

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Nothing is made of compressed light.. it's matter linked together. Ofcourse it's possible to travel the speed of light. All these theories by past scientists and story writers alike are fictional, what we would think would happen. The only thing we'll ever be experience if we travel at the speed of light is blacking out, most people will pass out after passing the speed of sound especially if the acceleration is over 15G's generally.

A problem with the speed of light would be hitting something.. to hit something at 186,000miles/second would cause a lot of damage so we'll need to find a way to decelerate at probably 49,500miles/hour which is also very dangerous... It's possible, we're just finding ways to say it isn't.

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 12:17 PM
thats why we travel in the sky and you black out because of the G force not the speed

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Well you'd expect quite a few G's when you decelerate at 49,500miles/sec :)

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 02:47 PM
haha lol yeah and you know that feeling when you go over a dip or are on a ride well if you turned at that speed your stomach would probably explode lol :D

LiNuX
08-18-2007, 03:16 PM
scott please go around fix all your links before i disable ur link posting privelages - you are posting many links that do not work and these are counted as broken links against the forum :/

thanks!

as for this article - i think this is cool

an astronaut moving beyond light speed would arrive at his destination before leaving.

how awesome is that lol

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I think he just puts them down which makes it go

http...wolf....com/i...le.html

for example

Technically you wouldn't really arrive at the same time you left, depending how long of a journey it is.

Scott
08-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Well I have soted out my links.

Lol in Futurama there is a bit where the professor says: "So we can travel faster we changed the speed of light" (Well something like that) lol that's just so impossible!

cwbolton
08-19-2007, 05:54 AM
yeah but if you can trave at the speed of light you still wouldnt be able ot arrive before you left or that would be time travling so this is a real debatable subject