PDA

View Full Version : Codemasters offer MMORPG for free

lonewolfxix
08-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Codemasters offer MMORPG for free

Codemasters has announced that Archlord, the subscription-base MMORPG is now available as a free download with no montly subscription fees. Furthermore, there is also a free expansion entitled Episode 2: Season of Siege. This makes Archlord one of the very few premium MMORPG's that offers a 100% free gaming experience.

Ed Relf, Director of Marketing, Codemasters Online commented "We are ecstatic to be in a position now to release ArchLord as an entirely FREE MMORPG and this marks a milestone in the games ongoing development. Since its release, ArchLord has grown consistently and we are excited to throw open the doors to players across N.America and Europe looking to play a premium 100% FREE MMORPG. Players are now only a download away from entering one of the most rich and rewarding PvP experiences in MMO gaming!"

To download ArchLord for FREE and take part in the race to become the games first ArchLord* visit www.archlordgame.com

*Full terms and conditions for the ArchLord competition can be found at http://www.archlordgame.com/suitofarmourterms.php

LiNuX
08-17-2007, 08:55 PM
great, another free complete mmorpg, they need to make WoW free and it'll become even more popular lol, or guild wars too

i know GW is just a one time pay for the cd key but give that out for free too :D

thanks for the info!

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 06:42 AM
If they were to just make it totally free they'll have even less money to use to make the game better, that's the thing about MMORPG's, they either have loads of ads or make you pay or you're not going to get regular updates.

Look at ETQW, it's free but they're putting "relative" ads into the game like on the side of a truck you may see Jolt Cola or something (well.. gamers like caffeine.. Jolt has caffeine.. Soda is transported in big labeled trucks..) I think relative, non interruptive, non interactive adverts are the way to make the most money and subscription costs bring down the potential income. - if you only have to pay $40 for the game and it's free to play with loads of updates, great, loads of people will play it! Whereas WoW does.. but I expect half the time it's on private servers with a few friends.

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 10:07 AM
thats not ture look at planeshift (www.planeshift.it) it is an MMORPG with no ads and it is made from entirely free software and its free and meetin thats a great MMO no ads and free its only the really really really popular ones that you either have to pay for or be swamped with ads

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 10:17 AM
But comparing to other MMORPG's where the engine is made from scratch and the graphics are high with a thriving community and a low count of hackers (atleast on the official servers I'd expect) Planeshift is pretty mediocre and PlaneShift also have sponsors and obviously some form of profit coming in from the game be it donation based or various sponsors.

I wouldn't call a game like RuneScape or Enemy Territory Quake Wars swamped with adverts, RuneScape has 2 or 3 which you don't have to interact with which go around on a rotation while you play and never seemed to irritate me while i played and Enemy Territory Quake Wars which is a high graphic lag sensitive game has adverts on the side of buildings, billboards etc. which is fair enough and look as if they're a part of game and it makes it seem more real. PlaneShift, i expect uses very few system resources and if it's a little laggy, big deal, it's only an MMORPG so outgoing costs can be kept to a minimum while the game is being funded by the main company who are obviously getting a cut of money from some source.

LiNuX
08-18-2007, 11:45 AM
ads usually go on their site and not the game and i dont mind that lol, but its true that they wont get enough funding for regular updates and etc.. but still, they are expecting the popularity will rise and they can make more from ads like that.

XiMMiX
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Cool, As you guys said they wont earn much money but i think it would be a pretty cool game...:-)

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 12:12 PM
no you can earn lots from MMO's so dont spam with anything unrelated

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Ever tried running the server to an MMO? You need to run a lot of adverts to get money, or get people to pay you in some way, rofl.

LiNuX
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Ever tried running the server to an MMO? You need to run a lot of adverts to get money, or get people to pay you in some way, rofl.

i have a friend that tried to run a mmo server, forgot for what game but it wasnt a free game and he didnt want to pay to play so he opened a private server and lost a lot of money lol, thats all i remember, and yes it is very hard, even maintaining counter strike servers these days, it takes money coming in some way.

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 02:45 PM
i know about MMO'S guys im going to code AND host one when im older ive spent countless hours revising them gathering tips and tricks and i am pretty sure i know what im talking about you CAN make a free MMO wich isnt swamped with ads there is plenty of great software out tehre so you can do this

chaoscauser
09-08-2007, 04:25 AM
rising force online has just gone free to play also in case anyone wanted to play it

lonewolfxix
09-08-2007, 07:42 PM
It can be done but some way it's really going to run down your money supply. Using already made engines really limits what is possible in your game. How do you propose you pay for the cost of running the servers? This is where FPS's generally have an advantage over MMORPG's as they're ran by other people so it doesn't cost the developers anymore than just paying their staff and the occasional campaign to get more people playing.

sourabh167
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
archlord is a pretty god game given it is free.i wish i could sell my avi there when it is skilled.is avi selling allowed in archlord for real money?

Jasperking
09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
umm.. "avi selling" as u call it is banned in any game :)

sourabh167
09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
hmm then how are there often news of that some hardcore gamer was kidnapped and the kidnappers manages to take out the username and password for his avi which they plans to sell for huge amount.

Jasperking
09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
yeah um.. tons of people sell them :/

sourabh167
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
are the servers of archlord good enough to give smooth game play for few hours or the servers go down often.and are there competitions in archlord and clans to join?

Jasperking
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
i have never played archlord so i wouldnt know XD but it does look pretty good

sourabh167
09-20-2007, 12:23 PM
codemasters even don't have the client hosted on there own servers.is there any site offering free cleint download except listed on archlord website as none of them offer resume function to download the client.

Jasperking
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
why would u need a resume function anyway ? just get a download client or summit