PDA

View Full Version : 1up: Stuntman 360 Edges Out PS3

Scott
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
360 version has a few advantages over PS3 - mainly online features and rumble, plus will be released on time. Looks like even with the additional dev time, PS3 graphically/frame rate wise can only equal 360, not surpass.

Link (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3162039)

Previews: Stuntman: Ignition
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe: The best version award goes to...?
By Andrew Podolsky 08/17/2007

Every year the Taurus Awards, Hollywood's Oscar-style recognition of professional stunt actors, finds the best fiery explosions, precision driving, and free-falls captured on film and honors those who make action movies possible. In that spirit, we've compared near-final copies of Stuntman: Ignition to determine which console version is most deserving of special honors.

Stuntman: Ignition will be hitting three consoles in the next few weeks, and whether you're a platform purist or you just want the best version available, there are some important differences between the PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360 games that may influence your buying decisions. For one, the PS3 version's release date has been pushed back behind its PS2 and 360 counterparts, possibly for additional optimization, so PS3 owners will have to wait a bit longer to play.

Both the 360 and PS3 versions of the game look extremely similar graphically, and thankfully also in terms of framerate. This is essential for a game based on split-second decisions and precise controls, and fortunately both versions maintain a steady clip despite the stunt effects on-screen.

The 360 version has a few minor features that aren't in the PS3 one, mostly due to Xbox Live Marketplace. In the 360 game, there's an option on the main screen to take you to Stuntman's downloadable content page on Marketplace, where you can pick up dashboard themes, gamer pics, vehicle packs, and a playable "director's cut" of the movie-level Aftershock (some of these will be on the PlayStation Network as well). Controller rumble is also in constant use in the 360 version.

If the next-gen price point is too high for you, and you want the core Stuntman experience, the PS2 version will probably suffice. It doesn't have online play or the same level of graphical quality, but the gameplay is all there -- you are still dodging cars on fire and making jumps over rivers of lava, just with the special effects turned down.

There's slightly less draw distance on the PS2 one as well, which can affect your response to upcoming stunts, but the game is otherwise intact. The CG intros and cut-scenes manage to not look ugly despite being on an older system, and you can still have multiplayer battles on the studio backlot in split-screen mode.

All versions contain the full career mode, quick fix mode, and the stunt creator mode (which is surprisingly intact in the PS2 version because the arenas are fairly empty across all versions). They also have high-score leaderboards as well as "accomplishments," which are badges and Taurus Awards that you earn throughout the career mode. On the 360 version, however, these accomplishments translate into achievements that boost your gamerscore. (Hurrah for imaginary points.)

If your online reputation and the easy access to downloadable content appeal to you, the 360 version looks to edge out the PS3 version here, though with a $20 difference in price the PS2 edition looks to be an enjoyable value. But with such a strong cinematic presence, it's hard to deny going with Stuntman: Ignition on a next-gen console -- the amount of graphical flourish you'll notice while filming your stunts can be overwhelming, but it makes for an impressive playback later...like the highlight reel of a stuntman award show.

Gamoc
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
wow, I've wanted a sequel for so long... looks good

diablo
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
i've been seeing so many commercials for this game and its gotten my attention lol, looks pretty cool

Scott
09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
i've been seeing so many commercials for this game and its gotten my attention lol, looks pretty cool

Yeah the commercial is everywhere. Well it's out now and from what I have heard it's just as tough.

jakncoke
10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I played the demo and this game is worthless.

Jasperking
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
looks good i really want to play it. I played the original and enjoyed it for a while lol. Im glad its better on the 360 though :P

Gerrit
10-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Hmmm, looks like an extreme hit, or extreme miss....
I don't dare pick either one, yet...

I'll just be patient!

Toxic
10-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Yet another Xbox 360 game I really want. Its price has gone down so Im going to pick it up soon

Scott
10-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Yet another Xbox 360 game I really want. Its price has gone down so Im going to pick it up soon

The price is going down because its so underrated.

Jasperking
10-13-2007, 07:25 AM
rofl i hope it turns out to be good anyway

Scott
10-13-2007, 09:39 AM
rofl i hope it turns out to be good anyway

It's been released

Jasperking
10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Yep but i havent played it and i dont know if anyone is going to get it

Toxic
10-13-2007, 03:53 PM