PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 harder to develop for? Nonsense, says GRAW team

Scott
08-18-2007, 08:20 AM
"It's wrong to say it's harder to code on the PS3" - Le Tensorer
The team responsible for one of Ubisoft's most acclaimed videogames ? Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter ? has told GamesIndustry.biz that developing titles for the PlayStation 3 is no harder than working on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Despite analyst reports and internet chatter, the BAFTA-award winning team says it's just a case of developers getting up to speed with the new hardware, as Sony's console is earlier in it's lifecycle than Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"It's wrong to say it's harder to code on the PlayStation 3, it's just something that needs to be learnt," said Yann Le Tensorer, co-founder of Ubisoft's Tiwak studio and co-creator of the Yeti engine powering GRAW and the upcoming Beowulf game.

"It's not harder to develop on the PS3 than it is on the 360, it's just a different console. Developers might says it's harder because it just takes time to understand the technology, we're still early in the lifecycle."

As more studios learn the intricacies of developing for the PS3, so the entire development community will benefit says Le Tensorer. "We need all developers to learn from the console, it was the same with the PlayStation 2. Our team are more than happy with the PlayStation 3."

Earlier this week a review in USA Today labelled Electronic Arts' PS3 version of Madden NFL 08 as "sluggish" compared to the Xbox 360 version.

And industry analyst Michael Pachter has gone on record saying that the delay of Grand Theft Auto IV from November until next year was due to Rockstar struggling to port the Xbox 360 version of the game ? a problem that would be down to the developers themselves, not the hardware.

Adrian Lacey, international brand manager for Ubisoft, is confident that the success of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is due to forward planning on the developers part, and has meant that the sequel due on PS3 next month will match the standard set by the franchise.

"Because we built the engine for this generation of hardware we've been very well placed ? Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter hit that level of quality early in the cycle when the 360 first came out because we had our engine in mind for PS3, 360 and PC from the very beginning," he commented.

As the studio continues work on the game based on upcoming movie Beowulf, due for PS3 and Xbox 360, Lacey admits there's still plenty to learn about both home consoles.
"For us it's been a learning curve and technology changes very quickly. We're learning step-by-step to use the PS3 to its fullest capacity," he said.

"If you take the PS2 for example, when God of War come out people saw it was tremendous. But it wasn't until the end of the PS2 cycle that we've seen the machine being pushed to its fullest," added Lacey.

A full interview with the Adrian Lacey and Yann Le Tensorer, where they discuss Beowulf and the challenges of working with movie studios, will be published later this month.

Link (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27782)

Their games better start showing it then. I will most likely always buy games for the X360 over the PS3 because they tend to always be much better on the X360 so far.

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 10:38 AM
That is a very good point, alot of us are saying it's harder, alot of the 360 players for sure ;) But aswell as the PS3 being new technology and a whole new set of instructions etc. to read and learn the production costs are higher due to the shear cost of the equipment. Another point is the fact the Xbox360 and PC are so easy to port between, if I spend a year learning about the Xbox 360 and PC I could probably port one game to the other but the PS3 would take a lot more work as it's based on a different system to the 360 and PC.

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
PS3 is soooo much harder to programme for i programme xbox360 minigames and thats just like prgramming in cpp but ps3 programming is 20 times harder thaere talking ****

lonewolfxix
08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Well it's all about ummm what's the word i'm looking for.. familiarity! You are used to C++ which is used on PC and Xbox 360 (i didn't know that.. but now I do!) And I think PS2 used it in Yabasic. I personally hate Linux and Macintosh as I haven't got used to them and i've been using PC's for the last... ohh.. 8-10years.. Before that I used Amiga and I was really confused about Windows when I first started using them.

cwbolton
08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I personally hate Linux.

tut tut lol and i said xbox 360 is similar to cpp and c# and i know nothing about them but i know there easier to code

Hurley
08-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeh .......

LiNuX
08-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeh .......

have something more to say before you get banned - infraction given

cwbolton
08-19-2007, 05:57 AM
haha lol linux chill out i was quoting a sentence that lonewolfxix said were just joking

Scott
08-19-2007, 07:02 AM
haha lol linux chill out i was quoting a sentence that lonewolfxix said were just joking

He wasn't talking to you. He was talking to Hurley lol

cwbolton
08-19-2007, 07:04 AM
i know but well i dunno lol he probably did something else wrong too

Gamoc
08-21-2007, 09:34 AM
I agree with the article. It's not harder - you just have to learn HOW. If you're used to the 360 and PC, it'll be easier because you have to learn how to code of the PS3. IF you could only code for the PS3, the 360 would be harder. It's obvious, really.

lonewolfxix
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes but who only codes for the playstation 3? PC is undoubtedly one of the biggest markets for games as technology always comes out for them first. To design a game for a console on it's own like the playstation 3 is practically suicide. The best way to design a multi-platform game is to start with the PC and then make cheap rip-off's for the console which everyone still loves and say is better graphics than the PC version because their pc can't play it anyway rather than start with a console which is limited and then port it to PC- it's been done, and it looked lame.