PDA

View Full Version : Activision: Black Ops sells 5.6m in day one, beats MW2

DirtyDMan
11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/call-of-duty-black-ops1.jpg

That didn’t take long; Activision has just sent over the Day 1 sales estimates for Call of Duty: Black Ops. Let’s dive right in.

In North America and the UK alone, the shooter has brought in $360 million and sold over 5.6 million copies, beating Modern Warfare 2‘s $310 million / 4.7 million copies record.

“There has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records for two consecutive years and we are on track to outperform last year’s five-day global sales record of $550 million,” says Activision boss man Bobby Kotick.

Black Ops can now be considered the biggest entertainment launch of all time , with Modern Warfare 2 right behind it.

“The game’s success underscores the pop culture appeal of the brand,” Kotick continues. “Call of Duty: Black Ops is the finest game that Treyarch has ever made and raises the bar for online gameplay by delivering the deepest and most intense Call of Duty experience yet.

“The Call of Duty franchise has over 25 million players around the world that are engaged in billions of hours of online gameplay, and we are committed to supporting them with new content and features on a more frequent and regular basis.”

Lazard Capital analyst Colin Sebastian said just minutes ago that the shooter is tracking ahead of their estimates.

That VideoGame Blog Activision: Black Ops sells 5.6m in day one, beats MW2 (http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/11/11/activision-black-ops-sells-5-6m-in-day-one-beats-mw2/)

Who didnt see this coming? This game got some much hype over the last couple of months....

MoH wasnt that great either so a lot of people were looking for a new shooter to try out as well...

I havent got it yet tho... Should pick it up this weekend tho....

LiNuX
11-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow...well I guess congrats to the makers. That's good success. I don't thik I'll be getting it though.

W1CKEDTW1STED
11-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Mind blowing. I was one of the suckers to get it opening day. I have to say I still love MW2, but only because I don't know the weapons or maps yet. *shrug*

jango
11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, they might've sold a decent number based on a decent fan-base etc but I'm still seeing some mixed reviews of it .. one of which was even titled 'Does Black Ops Suck?'

I'm still undecided personally ..

W1CKEDTW1STED
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Well, they might've sold a decent number based on a decent fan-base etc but I'm still seeing some mixed reviews of it .. one of which was even titled 'Does Black Ops Suck?'

I'm still undecided personally ..

For the record, I am still not overly impressed with it. Maybe I just haven't warmed up to it yet. *shrug*

EpsilonX
11-11-2010, 06:05 PM
The hype surrounding this game was enormous. I heard more about this game than I did about MW2. I also saw more random girls post on facebook "playing black ops"

I guess chicks are into shooters now. Might have to pick up a few.

Aniki
11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Most of my friends only use computer for gaming, but everyone talked about this game. They also said some of the weapons were really irrealistic, and I have to say, I agree with them. But still, it is a game, and for me (probably no one cares about my opinion :<) it's a 9/10 game!

WobbleSock
11-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Majority of people mainly buy the game because of the title; Call of Duty is a big name, but it does not mean it is a quality product.

I will hold back on giving my opinion, because I am still waiting to rent the game but when I do put a few hours into it I will probably be spewing negativity...