PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Black Ops subscription - Would you pay?

W1CKEDTW1STED
11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Original Article (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277281)

Newsflash! Call of Duty is pretty popular. What started off as a humble World War II based PC first-person shooter has grown to become the gaming equivalent of Godzilla.

Every year it rolls into town, ruins a few personal relationships, smashes a few revenue records and brazenly stomps on a number other high-profile media releases.

Activision uncovered a goldmine with Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare, and ever since the virtual airways have been clogged with rumours and speculation that Bobby Kotick plans to introduce a subscription based payment model and then upload his impression of Scrooge Mcduck to YouTube.

Although Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward and Treyarch have both assured gamers that a subscription model wasn't on the cards for Call of Duty in the past, that hasn't stopped everyone's favourite Activision exec from casually reigniting fears.

Not a week goes by where ol'Bobby doesn't drop a vague and cryptic statement suggesting he's prepping a pair of velour gloves to make it easier for him to stick his hands in gamer's pockets and take what he wants.

Unequivocal statements like "what we'd like to ideally see is that the investment in the subscription fees going towards the provision of a higher level of customer service," or "we'd like...to see some portion of the subscription fees go towards game enhancement," certainly don't leave much room for doubt.

Early today the Mystic Meg of the gaming industry, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter said Activision is simply biding its time and that the inevitable announcement of the subscription model was simply delayed because it would hurt launch sales numbers for Black Ops.

He seems pretty convinced, but are you?

On the one hand a subscription model would create an easier, simpler and arguably cheaper way to get new Call of Duty content, which could be important since Activision plans to create numerous map pack add-ons.

However, it would also introduce a split player-base, not to mention a potentially lethal amount of animosity towards the Call of Duty brand, the developers and the publisher.

Since we're guessing that Activision doesn't have any plans to scrap the yearly retail release of a new Call of Duty product, how would a subscription payment model retain value on a year by year basis?

Is the transfer of content and stats enough of a value proposition to not only get players to subscribe but also to jump from one new CoD release to another, continuing to contribute to the mammoth sales figures now expected of the series?

What do you think about a subscription model for Call of Duty? What would it take for you to get on board with the idea? Start your yappin'.

Personally, I wouldn't. Subscriptions I believe are nothing more than to keep you roped in and over-paying.

What are your thoughts?

RecreationalGamer
11-23-2010, 10:37 AM
What are your thoughts?

I don't think Black Ops is good enough. Perhaps the most devout Black Ops fans would do it, but I'm assuming the rest of the herd would stampede outta there.

Ilyich Valken
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
No one in their right mind would pay $15 a month or whatever to play a game like Call of Duty, or any FPS shooter. Well, except for parents who don't want to listen to their kid's *****ing and moaning. Okay, anyone with more than half a functioning brain.

RecreationalGamer
11-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Ya know, on second thought, if the subscription would enable me to jump from one game to the next without actually having to "purchase" the next installment, that would be kinda cool, but only if it was $60 a year, cause that's just like paying for the next installment anyway.

But then you got the add-ons so it'll probably go up to about $80 a year. Plus people are generally greedy so yeah they'll probably make it like $90 - $100 a year. lame.

And if I'm paying annually, I want the next installment mailed to my door.

Ilyich Valken
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Ya know, on second thought, if the subscription would enable me to jump from one game to the next without actually having to "purchase" the next installment, that would be kinda cool, but only if it was $60 a year, cause that's just like paying for the next installment anyway.

But then you got the add-ons so it'll probably go up to about $80 a year. Plus people are generally greedy so yeah they'll probably make it like $90 - $100 a year. lame.

And if I'm paying annually, I want the next installment mailed to my door.

That's... basically how it is now >_> except that with tax it's more like 64 something.

RecreationalGamer
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
That's... basically how it is now >_> except that with tax it's more like 64 something.

<.< except when the new installment comes out, I fork over $64 all at once rather than just another $5 - $8 per month.

LiNuX
11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
I hate subscriptions so I definitely wouldn't even play the game.

That's why everybody hates bills.

Linx_is_me
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Heck no , for those people who already pay live and only got a 360 for Call of duty with friends they will be pissed . As for me a ps3 Gamer No effing way am I paying for something that unimpressive . I am having problems with even thinking about paying for ff14 . But I might do that .

W1CKEDTW1STED
11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I hate subscriptions so I definitely wouldn't even play the game.

That's why everybody hates bills.

My feelings exactly! I'll be pissed if they change it.

jango
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I certainly wouldn't pay a sub for anything like an FPS shooter, especially as generally I only jump on, keeeel, then leave - meaning that I'm not on them for long. With RPGs it's a different story, especially when there's co-op of some sort involved then I can see it making a bit more sense.

Having said that though I'm not keen on the idea of companies looking for ways to charge people for services they used to offer freely .. seems likea step backwards to me.

EpsilonX
11-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I still haven't purchased a CoD game OR xbox live, so the answer for me is a resounding no.

LemonRising
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
No. I refuse to pay monthly subscriptions for something I've already bought.

B |

no matter what kind of game.

Kenoi
11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
this is just a plan right..? or some kind of debate to get the people worried?
i'm not sure... IF it really did happen, the ps3 doesn't charge online (unless if you got that playstation plus, which is kinda like paying online...)
I'd head to the game store & trade in or sell my copy of the game... immediately. haha.

Linx_is_me
11-23-2010, 11:31 PM
i'm not sure... IF it really did happen, the ps3 doesn't charge online (unless if you got that playstation plus, which is kinda like paying online...)
I'd head to the game store & trade in or sell my copy of the game... immediately. haha.

I am sure they will charge for Final fantasy 14 , So they do charge for some games .

WobbleSock
11-24-2010, 01:49 AM
I expect nothing more from Activision; they are indeed very greedy.

I can see why they are thinking this though; if all the CoD players did pay $15 dollars a month, imagine how much money they would earn annually?

A ridiculous amount of profit, in other words.

Ilyich Valken
11-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Bobby Kotick WANTS to, but is too afraid to. It would be like WoW is, the game company is charging you to play, not the company that made the system.

Kenoi
11-24-2010, 10:45 PM
I see what you mean, either way, i'm enjoying playing online as of now.... we'll see what that guy's decision is....

Piff-PuffN
12-18-2010, 09:14 PM
subscribition 4 cod bull****tttt wtf

Jayhmmz
12-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Call of Duty is far too linear and casual to be worthy of having a subscription fee. Blizz can go ***** themselves, they're too greedy. They have a massive income from WoW every single day; as well as subscription fees, the income includes character transfers, name changes, server transfers, etc. and actual game purchases, along with Starcraft and that...

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Call of Duty is far too linear and casual to be worthy of having a subscription fee. Blizz can go ***** themselves, they're too greedy. They have a massive income from WoW every single day; as well as subscription fees, the income includes character transfers, name changes, server transfers, etc. and actual game purchases, along with Starcraft and that...

Which is the exact reason I have never played WoW. If CoD did the same thing I'd probably stop playing it. Gaming companies are getting to be as greedy as celebrities. :laugh:

Jayhmmz
12-19-2010, 06:46 AM
They are indeed, they're ridiculous. They're a bunch of over-paid footballers who have lost the passion for what they set out to do in the first place!