PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Need help deciding between PS3 and Xbox360

extempore20
11-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi guys,

So I'm a guy approaching 30, and the last system I owned was (no kidding) the original Nintendo. I've been more of a PC gamer, but in college, I got really into Halo and would play a lot.

So I've finally decided to enter the 21st century and buy a system but I'm totally torn. Trust me, I've read a ton of posts and it's only made me more undecided. I'm hoping to buy the system tomorrow during Black Friday...

So here are my particular preferences:
1) Cost - in terms of the console, it doesn't matter unless you think one will be much more expensive? (it seems ps3 is more cost-efficient in the long-run as you don't have to buy as many accessories and online play is free?)
2) Online game - I've always been a big online gamer and I've read the xbox is far superior to ps3... will I not be satisfied with the ps3 experience?
3) Games - I tend to like war/first person shooters (eg, Halo), although other genres I've been into in the past include games like Starcraft.
4) Ability to connect with strangers - Don't have many friends who are big gamers so I'd need to able to find quick games online with random people
5) Blue Ray - Already have one, don't need it in PS3
6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - I'd mostly use this for parties as a party trick I'd imagine.. to get people up and having fun. It seems the Kinect is definitely superior but the games out look boring (mostly family games). I'm guessing that will change in the future... But I'd like to know how big a difference you think this will make in the long run?
7) Durability - I hear Xbox dies a lot compared to PS3...

Okay, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'd like to buy this by tomorrow so please help!!

Th3-devils-princess
11-25-2010, 02:06 PM
i would have to say 360 just because everyone i know whom has a ps3 and 360 always go for their 360 plus its much quicker at conecting for online games :) :) :) :)

W1CKEDTW1STED
11-25-2010, 02:09 PM
I gotta say, I went through the same thing you went through, back and forth for almost a yeah and a half. I went with the XBOX360 and I can say I am extremely happy with my purchase!

Samus-Fan
11-25-2010, 02:47 PM
1) Cost - In the short run, Xbox. In the long run, PS3 is cheaper. With more money you get more stuff though.

2) Online game - Easily Xbox. PSN sucks compared to Live.

3) Games - For this genre I will say Both. Both consoles have their exclusives (Gears of War, Halo) (Killzone, Resisitance) but ONLINE shooter, Xbox.
Just depends on your taste.

4) Ability to connect with strangers - Again, Xbox. A lot more people play Xbox Live.

5) Blue Ray - Then why is this a category?

6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - Keep in mind, one is hand free, one is a wiimote with a giant annoying glowing ball on the end. It's your choice, but I like the hands free. It's much more Party Trick and epic than Move.
But the games are cheesy on both. That's what comes with these gimmicky ideas. I just prefer Kinect.

7) Durability - In the past it has.
But modern day scientists have discovered a way to make the 360 live longer!
And it does. It now lasts just as long, I wouldn't be worried about this if I were you. As long as you don't play the xbox inside a 400 degree oven, there aren't any over heating issues.

Knibbler
11-25-2010, 05:23 PM
1) Cost - In the short run, Xbox. In the long run, PS3 is cheaper. With more money you get more stuff though.

3) Games - For this genre I will say Both. Both consoles have their exclusives (Gears of War, Halo) (Killzone, Resisitance) but ONLINE shooter, Xbox.

4) Ability to connect with strangers - Again, Xbox. A lot more people play Xbox Live.

6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - Keep in mind, one is hand free, one is a wiimote with a giant annoying glowing ball on the end. It's your choice, but I like the hands free. It's much more Party Trick and epic than Move.
But the games are cheesy on both. That's what comes with these gimmicky ideas. I just prefer Kinect.

And it does. It now lasts just as long, I wouldn't be worried about this if I were you. As long as you don't play the xbox inside a 400 degree oven, there aren't any over heating issues.

Four words..
Listen to this man!

Diligence109
11-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Nice post... it's nice to see someone actually cite the criteria their making for their decision. I hope my post finds you before you go shopping, here's my thoughts, for what they're worth:

1) Cost - in terms of the console, it doesn't matter unless you think one will be much more expensive? (it seems ps3 is more cost-efficient in the long-run as you don't have to buy as many accessories and online play is free?)

It's been said already and it's true - ps3 is more upfront but xbox360 is more in the long run (due to the cost of xbox live). Accessories are going to be about the same on either, I'd imagine.

2) Online game - I've always been a big online gamer and I've read the xbox is far superior to ps3... will I not be satisfied with the ps3 experience?

I don't understand why people claim xbox live is better than psn... they are services that do exactly the same thing, except that one costs money and the other does not. You will not find any shortage of gamers on either system and will have plenty of ability to connect with the through Live or PSN. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference is the interface. Are there some features that I'm somehow missing and unaware of? Are there perks to Xbox Live that you couldn't just get with PlayStation Network Plus?

I haven't played online with either Live or PSN, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's a huge difference. I could very well stand corrected, though.

3) Games - I tend to like war/first person shooters (eg, Halo), although other genres I've been into in the past include games like Starcraft.

The only exclusive title that xbox has over PS3 is Halo. That's saying something, for sure, but I feel that PS3 has a wider range of exclusive titles over xbox. PS3 gets several exclusives because of BluRay.

4) Ability to connect with strangers - Don't have many friends who are big gamers so I'd need to able to find quick games online with random people

As above when I was talking about online gameplay - I am 90% certain it's the same on both.

5) Blue Ray - Already have one, don't need it in PS3

Cool.

6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - I'd mostly use this for parties as a party trick I'd imagine.. to get people up and having fun. It seems the Kinect is definitely superior but the games out look boring (mostly family games). I'm guessing that will change in the future... But I'd like to know how big a difference you think this will make in the long run?

I prefer Move because it's mapping is accurate and applicable enough that it has potential to open a "hardcore" motion gaming market. I haven't had personal experience with Kinect; but while both are, without a doubt, "gimmicky", I feel that Move has the potential to "get serious" if the right games are design for it.

I've owned a Wii for a long time and have studied how all these various motion technologies work... without getting into the gory technical reasons I believe the above is true, I'll just leave my feelings on the matter.

7) Durability - I hear Xbox dies a lot compared to PS3...

xbox definitely has this unfortunate scar... but as long as you treat it right it's not going to red ring on you. I wouldn't worry about this or consider it in your criteria - if you even were unfortunate enough to have a dud console it would be replaced for you by the company without fuss.

While you didn't ask for it in your criteria, I feel that it's worth mentioning that the PS3 has overall more powerful hardware than the Xbox 360. This article (http://gear.ign.com/articles/111/1116182p1.html) is really clear and concise if you want to know how the technical specifications compare between the two.

Have fun shopping, good luck fishing through the crowds! Good luck making your choice, and, more importantly, I hope you have countless hours of fun with the console you do end up getting!

norid
11-26-2010, 11:45 AM
uh hem.... mi amogos already have a 360 while i have the sony "black brick" . all i can say is that i have never needed to have my ps3 fixed, have it over heated, and as along as you decent internet online play is enjoy able. also in my opinion they also have better RPG games. There are lot's of other things i can say but i dont want to sound like a fanboy even though i am not. I am just a sony loyalist.

EpsilonX
11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Can there be an official 360 vs PS3 topic or something? Where we outline all of the points?

Anyways, what it should really come down to is look up the big sellers on each system and see what appeals to you. Then try to find some lesser known but also good games and see what appeals. Ps3 has a blu ray player yes but its one of the best ones on the market (or at least, it was like a year or 2 ago) with 2 you could have one in your living room and one for the bedroom or something.

Also keep in mind, Xbox live, while better, costs like $50/year where PSN is free. Live is better, but that doesn't mean PSN is bad.

Muffincat
11-26-2010, 12:04 PM
No one has ever given me any actual reasons for why Live is supposed to be better than PSN o.O I have used both before, but never noticed any differences... but I don't own an Xbox myself. Just used one...

So, yeah, what is the actual difference that apparently makes it so much better?

EpsilonX
11-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I just found it's easier to use. Plus, the friends list is way better.

Muffincat
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
These are not actual reasons, though... Why is the friends list better? Why is it easier? General statements like that aren't helping :/

Ilyich Valken
11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't understand why people claim xbox live is better than psn... they are services that do exactly the same thing, except that one costs money and the other does not. You will not find any shortage of gamers on either system and will have plenty of ability to connect with the through Live or PSN. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference is the interface. Are there some features that I'm somehow missing and unaware of? Are there perks to Xbox Live that you couldn't just get with PlayStation Network Plus?

I haven't played online with either Live or PSN, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's a huge difference. I could very well stand corrected, though.
Well, the 360 has XNA (indie game dev software) but aside from that they're not that different. Most PS3 games run off servers while almost all LIVE games are client-side.

The only exclusive title that xbox has over PS3 is Halo. That's saying something, for sure, but I feel that PS3 has a wider range of exclusive titles over xbox. PS3 gets several exclusives because of BluRay.
And Gears of War, Alan Wake, Fable, Mass Effect (WAS an exclusive.), and THIS! (http://www.gamefly.com/game/xbox-360/Zoids-Assault/131730/)

I prefer Move because it's mapping is accurate and applicable enough that it has potential to open a "hardcore" motion gaming market. I haven't had personal experience with Kinect; but while both are, without a doubt, "gimmicky", I feel that Move has the potential to "get serious" if the right games are design for it.

I've owned a Wii for a long time and have studied how all these various motion technologies work... without getting into the gory technical reasons I believe the above is true, I'll just leave my feelings on the matter.
I think Kinect has the same opportunities. They just have to find a good balance between gestures and controller use. And.. not having to stand up to use it.

xbox definitely has this unfortunate scar... but as long as you treat it right it's not going to red ring on you. I wouldn't worry about this or consider it in your criteria - if you even were unfortunate enough to have a dud console it would be replaced for you by the company without fuss.
Actually... since the last two chip-sets in the Elite and now the S, the only real way to get a hardware failure is to just downright neglect your console.

While you didn't ask for it in your criteria, I feel that it's worth mentioning that the PS3 has overall more powerful hardware than the Xbox 360. This article (http://gear.ign.com/articles/111/1116182p1.html) is really clear and concise if you want to know how the technical specifications compare between the two.
Just because it's powerful doesn't make it better. Several multi-platform games can attest to that.

Samus-Fan
11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
No one has ever given me any actual reasons for why Live is supposed to be better than PSN o.O I have used both before, but never noticed any differences... but I don't own an Xbox myself. Just used one...

So, yeah, what is the actual difference that apparently makes it so much better?

All online services have servers. Internet requires them.
Microsoft has their own servers to use. Say the online goes down, bam it's back up fast because they can work with it since it's their own.

PSN runs of third party servers. They might be some of the best, but if it goes down, Sony has no control of how long it takes to get back up.

Live is also faster and doesn't lag in matches and games as much as PSN. Strictly because of the Dedicated servers Microsoft includes. That's what you pay for.

The layout is more user-friendly on Live, more people do play it. The market is huge, wide variety of everything. You can have Netflix, download music, get videos, new is ESPN and such. It's great, it has so much.
PSN has some things, but it's pretty blah. You can't compete with a console built around Live.

That's a point I forgot.

Playstation 3 is a great SINGLE PLAYER console. It has a lot of exclusives that are strictly single player.
They really fun!
Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, Final Fantasy, soon Kingdom Hearts III.
And they are all great. But not online.

The 360 has such a dedicated online system, most of its games and exclusives are made strictly for online.
Look at it's game sometime. 80% of exclusives are online.
That's a big difference.

So if you really are an online gamer, go Xbox.
But if you like playing by yourself, without talking to friends, not a big team player, whatever your reason is, go PS3. It's a good single player console.

Muffincat
11-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Samus-Fan; that is a lot more eloquent and detailed than anyone else has bothered to say. :P

I do mostly play single-player or local multi-payer, so I do have a ps3 - but I have never had an issue with the online when I have played it. (Other people, like Lemon, apparently have had issues, but I can't speak for that). I wouldn't pay for online service because I don't use it enough to make it worth it, and would rather use that money for a new game or something :P

I think everyone's given enough information to be useful, though.

EpsilonX
11-26-2010, 04:30 PM
These are not actual reasons, though... Why is the friends list better? Why is it easier? General statements like that aren't helping :/

Well this is one of those situations where I can't point out any single aspect that particularly makes it better. As a whole, xbox live just worked better. It's easier to use because it just is. Would you prefer I said more user-friendly?

What samus said about the servers as well.

ROFLBRYCE
11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I have both of them, and here's what I think..

1) Cost - In the long term, Xbox is more expensive due to Xbox Live services. On that note, you get more online attention and services. You get what you pay for.
2) Online game - Xbox hands down. It is a paid service, but the maintence is performed way more than PS3, so there's little down time and better connections. Just from what I've experienced.
3) Games - 360 is the shooter console. PS3 does have good games like Killzone and Uncharted, but FPS and 3PS are where the Xbox reign supreme.
4) Ability to connect with strangers - I'd say this one goes to PS3 with their PS Home feature. An entire immersive, real-life lookalike with thousands of people wandering and talking with eachother. In game though, it's going to Xbox. There's hardly anyone on PS3 with a mic.
5) Blue Ray - PS3 doesn't have to update their Blu-Ray players, not once ;D
6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - Havn't played either, but it looks like Move is better, to me anyways. Wii had problems tracking, and Kinect has had a bug or two here and there. Move kind of combines them, making it better and easier to track the body and motions.
7) Durability - The new Xboxes are supposed to last just as long, if not longer, than the PS3. And the new PS3 has a shorter life than the first ones. In any case, they both last quite a while. (My NES still works after 25 years, nothing will compare to that) I'd call it a tie.

If you're not picky about the online features, and want to save a little extra cash, go for the PS3. If you want a great online experience, aside from whiny ass pre-teens, go for the Xbox.

DaRaginCaucasian
11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
muffincat its alot easier to get a party chat going and/or join a party that your gaming friends are already in. On psn and can be a pain in the neck if you're in a game. Xbl makes it very simple.

I've also noticed ps3 games are more expensive used than the 360 games. i dont know why but they are.

Fummbles
11-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I myself have been a Playstation man my whole life but I had to move to the 360 when a lot of my favorite game went cross platform. I would honestly say get the Xbox 360. If you haven't bought it yet you can try and get a free one from Burger King!! :)

Tofu
12-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I would chose ps3 because paying $5 ea month for online gameplay really sucks.

Raoul
12-09-2010, 04:51 AM
It all depends on which type of games you like if you are really into RPG like Fable then Xbox is the option there, because Fable 3 is only out for Xbox 360 and not PS 3 and there are also games that Xbox 360 has the PS 3 has and the same goes to the other one.

Ailithic
12-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Uhhhmmmmmm Xbox 360 all the way just make sure you get zephyr or Higher which means don't buy on trade me or your could end up with the frist xbox's.

I think the newer ones have the aluminum heat sinks and the newer Gpu or cpu that consume less power and better cooling fans so........ there is no downside to buying an xbox 360 anymore

Raoul
12-17-2010, 04:23 AM
I am now deciding if I should buy myself an Xbox 360 so that I can LAN with you guys lol, because that would be really fun and I really enjoy Laning or I might decide to get Internet for my PC rather, but do use LAN on the internet with your PC i am really curious?

Jayhmmz
12-17-2010, 06:53 AM

I agree, definitely listen to this man and his trufacts. Basically said what I was preparing myself to say!