PDA

View Full Version : PS3 - Plays for a bit, then randomly shuts down

W1CKEDTW1STED
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey all,

A friend of mine is having some issues with his PS3. He can play for a bit (30 to 45 minutes) then it will randomly free. So he will shut it off, turn it back on, play again, and freeze again.

I did some quick research and it looks like there might be an issue with the latest update? (Let me know if I am wrong)

I mentioned to him to grab a DVD/Blu-Ray cleaner and try that as well as maybe cleaning some space off the HDD.

Any other suggestions I can have him try?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Linx_is_me
11-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Is it only freezing during game play , or from it just being on ?

Ilyich Valken
11-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey all,

A friend of mine is having some issues with his PS3. He can play for a bit (30 to 45 minutes) then it will randomly free. So he will shut it off, turn it back on, play again, and freeze again.

I did some quick research and it looks like there might be an issue with the latest update? (Let me know if I am wrong)

I mentioned to him to grab a DVD/Blu-Ray cleaner and try that as well as maybe cleaning some space off the HDD.

Any other suggestions I can have him try?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

I'd advise him NOT to do that. They can damage your system. He could be getting signs of the YLOD. Can't much say.

DarkSideDK
04-29-2011, 02:39 AM
I've tried this with the last ps3 I had. The problem was, atleast for me, that the ps3 were getting too hot. So i vacuumed it, with the lowest force of suction. And instead of the playstation laying down on the table, it helped for me after i raised it up to a standing position. After that, my ps3 never froze again. (Ufortunately it had laser cancer and died a year later) lol

HamadaLFC8
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah sounds like something a PC would do to protect itself when it overheats???

Saph
04-29-2011, 06:13 PM
@DarksideDK JAAAA SAADAN ENDELIG ENDNU EN DANSKER!! :D YAAAAY!

@W1cked Sup bro, it sounds to me like your friend simply has a faulty one? :( If he has a warranty or whatever on it, I suggest he go get it replaced with a new one for free. If that one does the same, I would say that he's forced to wait for a patch or something to fix it :(

I dont own a PS3, infact I hate em(I just plain old dont like Sony XD PS2 just sucked, switched to Xbox after that), so maybe my advice isnt the best, but I've had quite a few consoles, and I dont think the PS3 is different in the fact that as long as your warranty is valid, you can get a new one for free and get the bad one taken off your hands.

Brav0snow
04-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Its a call card sign of YLOD "generic error code".

The solder underneath the GPU or CPU over heats and gets reforms unevenly.

Happened to my old playstation (gen2). And my friends (gen1).

Best thing to do is send it with a valid warranty, even if you warranty is expired or void. $250AUD and they will refurbish your system.

If you dont want to opt for that you can do what i did. Once it is completely unplayable, strip it down to just the board and use a heat gun to heat both chips up for about ~10minutes. Done on a flat surface this should hopefully reform the solder evenly. First time i did it i followed a step guide on youtube. :)

It is my understanding the new slim ps3's dont have this problem.