PDA

View Full Version : Gamers Forum IRC Channel?

LiNuX
08-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I am not sure about how many of you are aware of IRC or Internet Relay Chat but about 8 or 10 months ago, I tried to open an IRC Channel for Gamers Forum on the gamesurge network. Due to lack of time and lack of interest from the members, it was discontinued.

For those that don't know what an IRC channels is, its just like a big chat room with some special features not included in other chatroom services. It is very popular with gaming clans including counter strike. It is safer than having a shoutbox on this forum.

I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in joining that IRC channel if it is opened up. It is not mandatory for anyone but it would be helpful. Usually gameserver and vent/teamspeak server owners tend to sponsor our servers for both with advertisements in IRC channels and Websites.

I planned on getting a counter strike server for the forum but the costs would cost too much for me and the forum doesn't bring in enough revenue to pay for that along with hosting.

Feedback, comments, and Ideas are appreciated. If anyone would like to be op or peon in the channel to help me run it, let me know. I do not have IRC on this computer but if it enough interest is shown, an IRC channel will be opened.

Thank You!

FattaT
08-20-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm interested...
Plus if we advertised a little in other channels to go to the Gamers-Forum one, it may bring more traffic to the site. :D

LiNuX
08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm interested...
Plus if we advertised a little in other channels to go to the Gamers-Forum one, it may bring more traffic to the site. :D

thats part of the intention, the other part is to try to get maybe a vent/teamspeak and some game server sponsorships, brings in more interest and more traffic.

so how many of you know how IRC works and are willing to idle lol, when i get my own pc back, i'd be on about 12 hrs a day

cwbolton
08-21-2007, 05:05 AM
yeah sounds good but i cannot use irc sorry

LiNuX
08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
yeah sounds good but i cannot use irc sorry

whats the problem? if its technical issues then maybe we can help you out, if its like ur parents wont let u thats a different story lol, irc is safe, not too many hackers go into the server i was talking about if thats what you are afraid of :-)

wifi
08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
i heard about it but never used it, I guess I could learn when you get it lol :D i wouldnt mind helping out the forum in other ways than just posting

Gamoc
08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
IRC is easy, very easy, to use. As long as you know how to connect - and I do.

LiNuX
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
i heard about it but never used it, I guess I could learn when you get it lol :D i wouldnt mind helping out the forum in other ways than just posting

there are readme files u can read along with us here, we can guide u thru lol

IRC is easy, very easy, to use. As long as you know how to connect - and I do.

thats all you have to know here lol, i can handle the specialt features and whatnot, like the ircbots and setting the channel up to look uh..."pretty" :twitcy:

lonewolfxix
08-22-2007, 04:28 AM
I can use IRC.. I'd probably be able to idle on it every now and then.. I'd be more interested in a TeamSpeak server which I already run my own (atleast will when my PC is working again)
Cost of electricity here is the main problem at 22cents/kilowatt and my PC taking half a kilo every hour plus the 4 other PC's in my house taking a combined 2kw my electricity bill is high.. but I could probably manage 8hours.. I'm pretty good with IRC on the normal user side.. never really adminned one.. I did.. but not for long..

cwbolton
08-22-2007, 06:37 AM
whats the problem? if its technical issues then maybe we can help you out, if its like ur parents wont let u thats a different story lol, irc is safe, not too many hackers go into the server i was talking about if thats what you are afraid of :-)

it its both my dad is with aol and the parental controlls stop me from connecting to servers so no msn or anything for me i can only get on aim

souljaa
08-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I can stay on the channel overnight since I leave my computer on 24/7 lol..I know a bit about it, so yeah, why not :).

LiNuX
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
it its both my dad is with aol and the parental controlls stop me from connecting to servers so no msn or anything for me i can only get on aim

u can use trillian - it has irc in it - and its safe, it has aol in there too so if u can connect to that u can connect to irc :D

I can use IRC.. I'd probably be able to idle on it every now and then.. I'd be more interested in a TeamSpeak server which I already run my own (atleast will when my PC is working again)
Cost of electricity here is the main problem at 22cents/kilowatt and my PC taking half a kilo every hour plus the 4 other PC's in my house taking a combined 2kw my electricity bill is high.. but I could probably manage 8hours.. I'm pretty good with IRC on the normal user side.. never really adminned one.. I did.. but not for long..

its most likely i'd be able to give out teamspeak channels and not whole servers, i doubt i can get that many sponsorships

I can stay on the channel overnight since I leave my computer on 24/7 lol..I know a bit about it, so yeah, why not :).

thats good because all staff will get OP status in the channel :D

im gonna try to download irc on my laptop and see how it turns out, i'll post back info here in another thread with the launch but in the meantime you can discuss the IRC channel here :-)

lonewolfxix
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I can get a "whenever i'm home" server on my own PC, the IP is in my signature, it's not on right now as my PC doesn't work. But I'd be happy with a room :P

LiNuX
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I can get a "whenever i'm home" server on my own PC, the IP is in my signature, it's not on right now as my PC doesn't work. But I'd be happy with a room :P

lol cool, we can use that as an extra hoping we get a full server sponsorship from somewhere else - we usually need people from out channel to idle others to get sponsorships, thats how most of them work lol, very few take website advertisements, its stupid since site advertisements has a higher value of audience

lonewolfxix
08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Maybe they get paid per month how many people there are in their channels. Wait... we have to idle in their TS servers? That would mean not being able to use your own.

LiNuX
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Maybe they get paid per month how many people there are in their channels. Wait... we have to idle in their TS servers? That would mean not being able to use your own.

no idle in IRC servers lol, i tried a TS server in my laptop, crashed it, never doing it again

i actually found a sponsorship for a TS server lol :D - i start with 20 slots and it auto upgrades whenever we need more space. I'm awaiting details - now we need a vent and game server sponsorship

cwbolton
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
u can use trillian - it has irc in it - and its safe, it has aol in there too so if u can connect to that u can connect to irc :D

</p> whats trillian and where can i download it?

LiNuX
08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
whats trillian and where can i download it?

download here - http://www.download.com/Trillian/3000-2150-10047473.html

it has all the instant messengers, well the ones most used including IRC.