PDA

View Full Version : Want faster gaming?

ub3rj0hn
08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
This article describes how to perform a clean boot procedure to start a Windows Vista-based computer or a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer. When you use a clean boot procedure to start a computer, Microsoft Windows starts only basic devices and services when it starts.

When you start Windows by using a regular startup, several programs start automatically and run in the background. These programs may include third-party antivirus programs and system utility programs. These programs may interfere when you install, run, or use a game or program such as Microsoft Flight Simulator or Microsoft Streets and Trips. If this occurs, you can use a clean boot procedure to prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to complete a clean boot procedure. If the computer is connected to a network, the network policy settings may also prevent you from completing the clean boot procedure.

Vista Users

1. Click Start button, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK and restart.

XP :thumb: Users

1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
Process SYSTEM.INI File
Process WIN.INI File
Load Startup Items

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services
check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

lonewolfxix
08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Hmm nice article, I've done this on my computer, it really helps if your PC is cluttered with loads of startup programs like mine was after a while.

I'll sticky this :)

ub3rj0hn
08-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Sweet. A sticky. :D Hope this helps you guys.

LiNuX
08-21-2007, 10:53 PM
pretty cool stuff, +rep given for some knowledge for the members :D thanks!

Thor Erik
08-22-2007, 11:10 AM
just a nice tip for vista users, use win+r instead of open the startmenu, locate the run box and type the command.
Win+R is basicly the same ;)

cwbolton
08-22-2007, 12:06 PM
yeah cool thanks for this ill be sure to use it

Shadowstab
01-31-2009, 08:58 PM
That's an awesome tip, thanks a lot. I'll +rep you for helping me out for sure.

secondVISION
02-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Cool, thanks for posting =D

Raw!
02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it out.
So does this mean like, there will be no lag for games like CS:S and Team Fortress 2?

Trunks
02-15-2009, 05:04 PM
So does this mean like, there will be no lag for games like CS:S and Team Fortress 2?

No, this just turns off programs that are not needed from eating up your CPU power. Most of the time you will hardly notice a difference. Just depends on how much stuff you have running in the background.

LiNuX
02-15-2009, 05:14 PM

lag in games is most likely due to graphics lag - like 3/4 of the time it's graphics related, as trunks said, this saves CPU and RAM when you are first turning on your computer. It'll load faster - both PC and other Programs.

Raw!
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Aaah. I see now. Well, I guess it's better then nothing.

jcowns
03-14-2009, 11:59 PM
i always play games with lowest quality so it's fast and smooth

Exodyus
03-15-2009, 12:32 AM
My PC is so fast - not to mention, I've done the msconfig tip for years now - but I run everything on the highest settings without fail or flaw. <3

Good advice though. Everyone should know this though, but I'm just a jerkg33k.

LiNuX
03-15-2009, 12:43 AM
I also run stuff on highest settings with this pc, so much better - I've compared games by playing them on max and min settings and there is a pretty big difference when it comes to clarity.

edward78
06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
thanks great info i will always take with me...then again it's microsoft so smashing the damn thing may work also. LOL
not to say MAC is any better. HAHAHAHAHA

faamtan
10-17-2009, 06:08 AM
thx anyway, I'll try it next time.

Charlotte
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM
great tutorial, just as i expected!

katyte522
08-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Just did and i'm glad, my computer was getting really slow. Thank you