PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty cyber attack gets teenager arrested

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Hah, owned!

[Original (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=280044?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS)]

A 17-year-old from Manchester has been arrested following a denial of service attack on Call of Duty: Black Ops.

According to the BBC, the teen used a malicious program called "Phenom Booter" to rack up points while stopping other people from playing the game.

The Sun says the act left publisher Activision 'battling for hours to get the online version of Call Of Duty: Black Ops up and running again'.

The Metropolitan Police's central e-crime unit arrested the teenager on suspicion of offences under the Computer Misuse Act.

A police source said: "His whole world came crashing down when we knocked on his door at 6am. He was still in bed and didn't realise he was in so much trouble."

Detective Paul Hoare added: "Programs marketed in order to disrupt the online infrastructure not only affect individual players but have commercial and reputational consequences for the companies concerned.

"These games attract both children and young people to the online environment and this type of crime can often be the precursor to further offending in more traditional areas of online crime."

Launched on November 9, Black Ops sold a whopping 8.4 million copies in the States alone last month.

Diligence109
12-10-2010, 09:49 AM
daaaaaayyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm

sucks to be that kid http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/241234ceadbcf891d0.gif I'm sure that was quite a wake up call... police at your door at six in the morning... good to see we've some control over malicious exploitation of online games, though ;)

Thanks for reporting the news for us, W1cked ;)

jango
12-10-2010, 09:52 AM
lmao .. aye .. totally owned .. and totally deserved .. botting gimp ..

LiNuX
12-10-2010, 10:07 AM
What did he think when he was committing a felony? Glad they tracked him down - i hate these ddos-ers...

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
My favorite part:

A police source said: "His whole world came crashing down when we knocked on his door at 6am. He was still in bed and didn't realise he was in so much trouble."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jaykub
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I... Don't see why people can't just play the game. How can you suck so bad you need to cheat like that?

Jokersvirus
12-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Lawls, stupid boosters. He just screwed up his life because he wanted to be the best at a video game XD

Iceskater101
12-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Ha thats the best part about this story
he wanted to get a high level or whatever in call of duty
now he has a felony or something like that on his record
owned!

glenofimaal
12-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Idiot.

What has society come to?

Jayhmmz
12-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Haha, such an epic win for gamers that this has happened. I agree with many of you, if you suck, why cheat? Just get better or you will never learn! They will just suck at every game.

I take enjoyment in the fact that when I see people cheating on a Black Ops, they're still not doing all that great! Haha. Fail gamers.

Piff-PuffN
12-18-2010, 09:17 PM
id be pissed. who wouldnt try to deny thattt?