PDA

View Full Version : Effing Nat Type!

Jayhmmz
12-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh hai :) Come in...

Take a seat, yeah there, right over by that warming, roaring fire... have a biscuit... comfy? Ok good :)

Basically, I has a NAT type problem on my xbawks threesexty. It was OPEN until the day came where it magically went to Moderate! I was like lolwtfbbq. I haven't touched my router settings in any way, shape or form... so like, whats the deal, anyone else having this problem? :(

<3

HamadaLFC8
12-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I used to have that problem when I had Speedtouch. Now I have linskys and everyones happy :P What router do you have?

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Mine is moderate because I have my interwebz on lockdown with my Cisco PIX. But I never have any trouble connecting to XBL or joining games...

Jayhmmz
12-23-2010, 04:21 PM
I have a D-Link router mate

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a D-Link router mate

Right. But I am saying, even with it in moderate status you shouldn't have any trouble connecting to XBL or joining games.

Can you not reach XBL at all?

Jayhmmz
12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
I can get on XBL no problems, but it's just bugging me that it just decided to go to Moderate :/ I'm just worried in case it's filtering out some match making options...

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-23-2010, 05:23 PM
I can get on XBL no problems, but it's just bugging me that it just decided to go to Moderate :/ I'm just worried in case it's filtering out some match making options...

Nah, I've never had a problem man.

Setting it to open just opens your XBOX 360 to the internet is all. I've seen some disaster come from it, which is why I don't do it. Plus I am a System / Network Admin and deal with this stuff on a day to day basis and know what damage opening ports can do.

But if you want to get it to Open, port forward these ports (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874/en-gb?sd=xbox) on your router/firewall.

Ilyich Valken
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Nah, I've never had a problem man.

I have... http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/241234cead723e1097.gif I have problems connecting to my friend if it's not open because his internet is horrible.

One thing I suggest you look at (if you have your xbox through wireless) is, has the IP changed? I had this problem where hooking up my wireless printer took over the slot my 360 had previously lived, and changing the port forwards/UPNP settings did absolutely nothing.

If that's not the case, I could probably help walk you through it using screenshots or the like.

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I have... http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/241234cead723e1097.gif I have problems connecting to my friend if it's not open because his internet is horrible.

One thing I suggest you look at (if you have your xbox through wireless) is, has the IP changed? I had this problem where hooking up my wireless printer took over the slot my 360 had previously lived, and changing the port forwards/UPNP settings did absolutely nothing.

If that's not the case, I could probably help walk you through it using screenshots or the like.

Ah, good call Ilyich about another device taking the ip.

Jay, I might be able to help also. I could connect to your PC via WebEx and help you setup a static ip address for your xbox and then help you port forward the correct ports.

Let me or Ilyich know. That's what friends do. :)

Jayhmmz
12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
That would be awesome cheers :)
I checked to see if the IP had changed, and it had, so I went back into my router CP and changed the port forwarding IP and then done a reboot and restarted the Xbox

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-24-2010, 04:17 AM
That would be awesome cheers :)
I checked to see if the IP had changed, and it had, so I went back into my router CP and changed the port forwarding IP and then done a reboot and restarted the Xbox

Nice. Did that fix the problem then?

You should be able to reserve an ip address for your xbox in the router cp. Basically the router will be sure to give it the same ip every time it requests one.

Jayhmmz
12-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Nah it still says Moderate :( Urgh! How do I reserver the IP, what general tab is it on in the CP usually? I only know about the port forwarding of the IP.

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Nah it still says Moderate :( Urgh! How do I reserver the IP, what general tab is it on in the CP usually? I only know about the port forwarding of the IP.

What kind of router do you have? (make and model)

Jayhmmz
12-24-2010, 08:42 AM
a D-Link DIR-615

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-24-2010, 03:03 PM
See page 25 (http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/D-Link-DIR-615-Manual.pdf).

Write down the MAC address for your XBOX which can be found here (http://www.technipages.com/xbox-360-find-mac-address.html).

http://support.mckendree.edu/images/xbox360nxe.png

Then set a static reservation for the IP address, and change the port forwarding to that address.

After that, you should be good to go and your XBOX will always get that same IP Address regardless and no other device will steal it. :)

Jayhmmz
12-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Done :D
I went the whole way and just put my Xbox in the DMZ haha ^_^ Ty mate! That will prevent my IP from changing again!

Jayhmmz
12-24-2010, 03:39 PM
OK, So, I put my Xbox in the DMZ and it's still Moderate. Impossible!

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-24-2010, 09:10 PM
OK, So, I put my Xbox in the DMZ and it's still Moderate. Impossible!

Hmmmm... Strange. Usually on a DMZ it would just be completely open...

I am going to be really busy over the next few days with Christmas and Teagan on the way.... But as soon as I am back home (probably late next week) I will connect to your computer remotely and help you fix the issue if you want.

Let me know. :)

Jayhmmz
12-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Nice man thanks a lot :) Hope you have a wonderful week!

Jayhmmz
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I finally fixed my NAT type! :D

I got myself a NETGEAR FS605 10/100M Switch, so I don't have to compromise and have wireless on either my PC or my Xbox360s whilst one of them uses my ethernet cable (didn't want to get another extra long cable, couldn't be bothered with the hassle!)
I purchased the Switch and two 1m long ethernet cables for both my PC and Xbox, got them both working ok at the same time, well I say 'ok', they work fantastically, as it feels like I have 50Mb broadband on both now, which is what I'm paying for!

I unplugged my router from the wall, and plugged it back in; made a fresh start on my router Control Panel by deleting all of the port forwards and everything. Left it in uPnP and it just worked, without any other amendments!

Conclusion: Happy Jay =3

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I finally fixed my NAT type! :D

I got myself a NETGEAR FS605 10/100M Switch, so I don't have to compromise and have wireless on either my PC or my Xbox360s whilst one of them uses my ethernet cable (didn't want to get another extra long cable, couldn't be bothered with the hassle!)
I purchased the Switch and two 1m long ethernet cables for both my PC and Xbox, got them both working ok at the same time, well I say 'ok', they work fantastically, as it feels like I have 50Mb broadband on both now, which is what I'm paying for!

I unplugged my router from the wall, and plugged it back in; made a fresh start on my router Control Panel by deleting all of the port forwards and everything. Left it in uPnP and it just worked, without any other amendments!

Conclusion: Happy Jay =3

Nice man. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sorry about this thread. I totally forgot about it. :(

Jayhmmz
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Nice man. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sorry about this thread. I totally forgot about it. :(

Don't worry about it mate! You had more important things to tend to! Besides, I totally forgot too ;) Haha!

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Gah! I have a new problem >.<
Slight subject change so no double post infraction, I don' think! Hope not anyway =3

Even though my Xbox NAT type is now Open, Halo Reach isn't, which is frustrating as hell.
It makes for slow matchmaking and it's pissing me off somewhat >.<
Anyone got any ideas as to why this happens? Do I need to open specific ports for Halo? I didn't even have to open ports for XBL!

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Gah! I have a new problem >.<
Slight subject change so no double post infraction, I don' think! Hope not anyway =3

Even though my Xbox NAT type is now Open, Halo Reach isn't, which is frustrating as hell.
It makes for slow matchmaking and it's pissing me off somewhat >.<
Anyone got any ideas as to why this happens? Do I need to open specific ports for Halo? I didn't even have to open ports for XBL!

Jay, get in touch with me over the weekend. I'll connect remotely to your computer and look at your router config see if I can help you figure it out.

If you want, up to you...

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Jay, get in touch with me over the weekend. I'll connect remotely to your computer and look at your router config see if I can help you figure it out.

If you want, up to you...

Cheers man this would be a great help.
My girlfriend is over from now until Sunday evening, so we may have to take a raincheck on that, for maybe the weekend after? If you're good for then that is! I'll give you a heads up anyway :)

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-21-2011, 07:59 AM
My girlfriend is over from now until Sunday evening, so we may have to take a raincheck on that, for maybe the weekend after? If you're good for then that is! I'll give you a heads up anyway :)

Yeah, sounds good. Keep me posted. :D

Ilyich Valken
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM

Is it something like "Upstream bandwidth: WARNING!"? Cause that's what I get and I can't talk to anyone or hear anyone in Reach :/

BobTD
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
I have friends that have that problem but only with Halo:Reach. We just assumed halo was being stupid. =P

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Is it something like "Upstream bandwidth: WARNING!"? Cause that's what I get and I can't talk to anyone or hear anyone in Reach :/

Nah mate, it doesn't, it just says WARNING: NAT type is not Open, so on so on... :(

@Bob: seems to be the problem with a lot of people :/ it's so strict! I mean, it only takes a couple of minutes to get a full game, and when I am in, it's stable, as long as the host is stable! Besides that though, it would be nice if it was match making at normal pace!

Jayhmmz
01-21-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm actually going to ****ing snap everything snappable in my sight. If it's not snappable, I will make it so!

Due to an unavoidable situation of my Dad having browsing problems and my Brother getting lag when gaming, we rebooted the router; due to this reboot, my ****ing NAT type has gone back to being Moderate which I don't understand because I haven't touched a ****ing thing on the Control Panel!

OH MY ****ING LORD THIS INFURIATES ME!