PDA

View Full Version : wtf? ABC has an interesting program.

Wang
08-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Im watching 20/20(News Show) and its a two hour report about seven possible cataclysms that could wipe us out. ?I usually dont fear most things but seeing the screens of the possible ways we can die out kinda freaks me out....One of which was an asteroid in the year 2029 where it has a chance to hit us, but if it doesnt, it has a chance in six years to hit us again...Another of which was a supervolcano(Closest one being looked at is in the United States, in Wyoming's own Yellowstone National Park) ?If you didnt catch this program, its sure was a shock value to most of us..Time to wake up :o :o :o :o :o :o

Also here is a small excerpt about that asteroid on the ABC website. IF you want more info. look up the last days on earth on any search engine.

Scientists have calculated that, on April 13, 2029, Apophis will pass so close to Earth it will actually fly underneath our communication satellites. Depending on the path of the asteroid, scientists say there is a small chance Apophis could collide with Earth on its return orbit in 2036.

If a large enough asteroid did collide with Earth, we would first feel a huge shock wave caused by the asteroid hitting the atmosphere. As the asteroid hurtles through the atmosphere even before impact, the ground in an area hundreds of miles around would be flattened. Seconds later, the asteroid would strike the ground and explode into a fiery ball, packing more energy than the entire nuclear arsenal of all the world's countries.

The last time one of these "civilization busters" hit the planet was 65 million years ago, and it helped wipe out an entire species of dinosaurs. Could the dinosaurs' fate ultimately be ours?

LiNuX
08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
omg i saw that last nite too, i was so board, the first episode of 20/20 i watch, i watched it because it came on after george lopez and nothing good was on, and i wanna die through that blackhole that they showed, its so cool, and the asteroid on April 13, 2029 should be awesome, my favorite number 29, and its a friday the 13th too, i hope it hits earth, lol ;) :) 8-)

Twigz
08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Linux...if you were "board", then why didn't you write on it with chalk...LOL, and I saw a lil of that too...it scared the livin daylights outta me...see, now people will believe me when I say "Armegeddon is coming!".

crazay
09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
i cant wait for armegeddon, should be fun and painful, lol, i saw parts of it, looks pretty cool, the ways we r gonna die, number 1 is global changing, GLOBAL WARMING is real folks :P

aosmallan
09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Don't worry fellas, if we're going to die it won't be by asteroid, at least not in this century.

On August 5th 2006, Apophis was lowered to a Level 0 Torino impact hazard scale.

Per the NASA website, here's the description for a spacial object awarded a Level 0:

"The likelihood of a collision is zero, or is so low as to be effectively zero. Also applies to small objects such as meteors and bodies that burn up in the atmosphere as well as infrequent meteorite falls that rarely cause damage."
SOURCE - http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/torino_scale.html

Further, the probability of impact is lowering with each passing day, with a 1-in-220,000 chance of impact in 2036 (meaning you're statistically more likely to date a supermodel or win an academy award), and a 1-in-810,000,000 of impact in 2037 (meaning you're statistically more likely to become president, win the lottery, die from falling airplane parts, or, interestingly enough, die from the melting, or combustion of your pajamas/nightwear).
SOURCE (of the asteroid facts lol) - http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/a99942.html

So don't worry about the asteroids, and start wearing non-flammable nightwear ;)