PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Does anyone else play it?

I launched a Minecraft server for my brother and his friends. I guess it's kind of a cool game but was curious if anyone else plays it?

Update:

Here is my server:
http://minecraft.abyssal-legion.com/serverstatus/statimg.php?id=1321&theme=1 (http://minecraft.abyssal-legion.com/serverstatus/index.php?action=view&id=1321)

jango
12-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't personally .. although a few people have tried (and failed) to convince me to try it. There were a couple of people playing it, but the names have slipped my mind.

Shixx
12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I play it occasionally. Not something I can play on a daily bases but it's good fun when I'm in the mood.

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I play it occasionally. Not something I can play on a daily bases but it's good fun when I'm in the mood.

Well, I launched my own server if you want to check it out. Let me know. I'll shoot you the IP. :)

Jokersvirus
12-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I would play it if it didnt cost money but it does look good to play from time to time

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-26-2010, 07:11 AM
I would play it if it didnt cost money but it does look good to play from time to time

Yeah, I hear ya. I didn't want to pay for it either, but now I did and this game is pretty addicting.

It all started with my brother asking me to run a Minecraft server... now I'm playing too. :p

W1CKEDTW1STED
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
If anyone wants to join my server let me know. I have a whitelist of players to keep it to people I know or you know etc. Installed a couple of cool add- ons too. :)

BobTD
01-11-2011, 03:27 AM
do I play it? Its 3:30 am on a day I have to work and Im almost done on my alter of fire:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/207/firecastle.png

I play on a friends server. Next we are going to make cannons out of tnt and a spring board and build opposing airships and have a fight to the death.

So yeah... i spend a little time on minecraft.

Jayhmmz
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
What's the objective in this game, and how do you achieve it? Can it be compared to any other games out there at the moment?

Raoul
01-13-2011, 05:12 AM
It's the first time I actually saw the picures of this game I mostly hear people talk about the game. I never tried it, but this game sounds really interesting to play.How is it by the way?

osamahatem
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I googled for this game and i found that i can play the old version for free so i will try it.

Raoul
01-14-2011, 02:27 AM
Lol maybe I should also look into that so that I can see how the game actually is.:cheesy:

BobTD
01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
What's the objective in this game, and how do you achieve it? Can it be compared to any other games out there at the moment?

well, its a sandbox game currently still having features added. There is no clear objective other then to avoid player death and respawning with nothing. At its core its almost a survival game because on normal difficulty zombies and other mob types spawn at night and in dark places.

The draw of the game is that you can break down blocks and gather resources to make almost anything you can imagine.

On of the best points about the game is that the levels are randomly created and keep generating the further you walk. The environments can be pretty stunning sometimes. Well, I should not really say randomly generated, they are procedurally generated, there is some order to how it goes about making the level, so there are always secrets to uncover like dungeons and vasts cave systems that can take hours to explore.

On older game models there is a free build mode that a lot of public servers use, you see the creations all over if you google minecraft. Most servers are run by people who just want the ability to easily spawn objects witha command line. for instance:

/give bobtd 1 64

that command would place 64 of object 1 in my inventory, on the ip chart that would be 64 stone blocks. Its kind of cheating, but its necessary for a lot of the larger project undertakings.

Otherwise just the simple pleasure of creating things. We are a species that developed very good tools (our hands and our brain) and we just simply like making stuff.

Raoul
01-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Sounds like an awesome game and fun I should then start playing this game

Jayhmmz
01-14-2011, 08:12 AM
well, its a sandbox game currently still having features added. There is no clear objective other then to avoid player death and respawning with nothing. At its core its almost a survival game because on normal difficulty zombies and other mob types spawn at night and in dark places.

The draw of the game is that you can break down blocks and gather resources to make almost anything you can imagine.

On of the best points about the game is that the levels are randomly created and keep generating the further you walk. The environments can be pretty stunning sometimes. Well, I should not really say randomly generated, they are procedurally generated, there is some order to how it goes about making the level, so there are always secrets to uncover like dungeons and vasts cave systems that can take hours to explore.

On older game models there is a free build mode that a lot of public servers use, you see the creations all over if you google minecraft. Most servers are run by people who just want the ability to easily spawn objects witha command line. for instance:

/give bobtd 1 64

that command would place 64 of object 1 in my inventory, on the ip chart that would be 64 stone blocks. Its kind of cheating, but its necessary for a lot of the larger project undertakings.

Otherwise just the simple pleasure of creating things. We are a species that developed very good tools (our hands and our brain) and we just simply like making stuff.

So it sounds pretty much like HL2 Gary's Mod mixed in with Age of Empires, haha. Sounds cool like, but I don't think I have the patience for those types of games.

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
My server is up and running if you guys want to check it out.... However, all my plugins are currently broken since Hey0's mod is now being ran by Bukkit and hasn't been released for the new version yet...

http://minecraft.abyssal-legion.com/serverstatus/statimg.php?id=1321&theme=1 (http://minecraft.abyssal-legion.com/serverstatus/index.php?action=view&id=1321)

BobTD
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Whats that mod do? You know unless people have the mod on their computer Im pretty sure they view the game through default or whatever mod they enable.

You should just get the latest exe and copy over your server save file.

Also I would love op powers on your server. =P

rexxar
01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't understand why so many peoples playiing this game. I tried it once and I really didn't like it. Looks like game from 80's

insert_cliche_here
01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Every time I see this thread in the unread posts feed I think it's talking about mineSWEEPER. Lol.

I'm gonna go ahead and look into that whole free thing though :D

BobTD
01-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't understand why so many peoples playiing this game. I tried it once and I really didn't like it. Looks like game from 80's

Well then you never took the chance to investigate or put any thought into it...

Its possibly the mos unique game I have ever played.

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Whats that mod do? You know unless people have the mod on their computer Im pretty sure they view the game through default or whatever mod they enable.

You should just get the latest exe and copy over your server save file.

Also I would love op powers on your server. =P

Bob, do you have MC? If you do, let me know. I'm looking to add another mod. I'm willing to give you Op powers if you are able to be on during the day and because I know you from here. :D That seems to be the only time we lack for an Op to be on. We have an average of 6 to 8 players on at all times.

EDIT: Sidenote - Plugins are all working again. Plugins are for server management. It's not really world related, but more to manage players.

BobTD
01-27-2011, 02:59 AM
I do have minecraft. =D

Not sure about when I will be available to get online, my schedule hasnt been set yet.

Today I setup a privet server hosted on my cmputer. I also setup a no-ip url you can enter rather then give out my IP, so to visit my server you just have to enter this URL for the multiplayer address:

bobtd.no-ip.org

Making the server was a little more complicated then DL'ing the .exe though. I had to use a program to get a static ip, forward the port minecraft uses, and then use the static ip for the no ip host account (tricked me because it actually take a few min for it to adjust the ip, and I thought I was doing it wrong).

paecmaker
01-27-2011, 07:01 AM
I love the game.

I am doing a very big project now. Im building a Pyramid. I "erased a hole mountain and is now mining all the stones I need.

Many people i know play minecraft too.

BobTD
01-28-2011, 12:13 AM
*update*

the minecraft server was down for a while because I was dumb and didn't turn off my computers power save features. All is well now, and it should work fine.

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Today I setup a privet server hosted on my cmputer. I also setup a no-ip url you can enter rather then give out my IP, so to visit my server you just have to enter this URL for the multiplayer address:

bobtd.no-ip.org

Making the server was a little more complicated then DL'ing the .exe though. I had to use a program to get a static ip, forward the port minecraft uses, and then use the static ip for the no ip host account (tricked me because it actually take a few min for it to adjust the ip, and I thought I was doing it wrong).

Yeah, I have about 12 to 15 constant players on my server so I'm all set with jumping on another server. I pay extra for a static IP address to make sure my server is always available with the same address. And it runs on an actual server, not a workstation.

Charlotte
01-28-2011, 05:47 AM
I also heard bout the game. So I check out the site and dang it's not free. I don't got any money online though so..

BobTD
01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I have about 12 to 15 constant players on my server so I'm all set with jumping on another server. I pay extra for a static IP address to make sure my server is always available with the same address. And it runs on an actual server, not a workstation.

If you arent hosting it why do you pay for a static IP? Also there are handy free programs that can create a static ip. Im using the "portforward" websites static ip service.

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-29-2011, 08:11 AM
If you arent hosting it why do you pay for a static IP? Also there are handy free programs that can create a static ip. Im using the "portforward" websites static ip service.

I have an actual server at my place. 3 of them actually.

Those "handy free programs" are crap. I'm a firm believer if you are going to do it, do it right. I'm not one to half@$$ anything.

BobTD
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh, that makes sense now. Neat, thats sounds like awesome. I want one. =P

W1CKEDTW1STED
01-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh, that makes sense now. Neat, thats sounds like awesome. I want one. =P

It's really more work than it's worth. Trust me. I push most of my stuff off site now minus the few things I can't like Minecraft.

For example this recent plugin mess was a royal PITA to deal with...

I work in IT full time and from my personal experiences it's nice when it's someone elses problem. :D

Raoul
01-31-2011, 03:48 AM
I also heard bout the game. So I check out the site and dang it's not free. I don't got any money online though so..

Lol awesome sound effects dang. Yeah that's true I also in the mood to actually try this game out.

Mine
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Minecraft just ain't for me.

But only one can claim best facebook status (http://www.postrandomonium.com)

BobTD
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
minecraft is pretty awesome. I made a vid of out our epic adventure into the Nether:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsEYcca2Iz4&feature=player_profilepage

Raoul
02-16-2011, 04:52 AM
That video of minecraft looks really awesome I am liking the game more and more and I should really start playing this game.:D thanks for the clip Bob

paecmaker
02-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I am at last done with my pramid. I`ve been mining all stones by myself. I made it hollow cause it would take practically ages to make one level and is now building the insides.

Im did it in offline mode cause I cant do it online.