PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft: We take profits from WII and DS to fund X360 and PS3 game development

Scott
08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Link (http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=16574)

Ubi's casual games fund 360 and PS3 development

Buying into Ubisoft's casual range of games is going to fund its hardcore efforts.

August 26, 2007 - The development and subsequent sales success of casual games on Nintendo's Wii and DS is an "extremely profitable" business for Ubisoft, according to the company's CEO Yves Guillemot, who told Reuters at the Games Convention in Leipzig last week that these games help to finance the costly development of games for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Guillemot explained that the development of casual games costs anywhere from 1 million euros to 4 million, depending on how many platforms they're being created for. By comparison, a normal Wii game costs about 5 to 10 million euros, while an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 one costs from 10 million to 20 million.

Casual games are expected to contribute 20% of Ubisoft's revenue this year, which is up 10% on last year. Meanwhile, the entire games industry is attracting many more customers which are, according to Guillemot, "going to grow the market tremendously. I expect the market to grow by 50 percent in the next four years," he said, concluding, "It's a very exciting time for all the developers and publishers."

Ubisoft using casual games profits to fund more casual games. I wonder what their definition of casual games are because R6 and GRAW are now shadows of their former selves.

Martin
09-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Ubisoft using casual games profits to fund more casual games. I wonder what their definition of casual games are because R6 and GRAW are now shadows of their former selves.

They are? Rainbow Six Vegas is one of the best games on the 360, and GRAW2 is also very good.