PDA

View Full Version : Time to say goodbye?

LysiaMoon
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I need some advice.
Me and my Xbox 360 have been through a lot together.
It's been there for me when I'm sad, happy or just bored.
It's even moved house with me.
I know I should be loyal, but, I can't help it.
Recently, every time I go into Game, I've been noticing a new Xbox, the upgraded stylish new version.
I know I shouldn't, but it looks so pretty and shiny and it's new!!!
I'm a technophile so if it's new technology I have it. But I held back this time.
Attachment and everything.

I just don't know anymore.
Is it worth it?
Shall I trade in friendship just to be up to date?

Is the new Xbox really any better? I need help!

Jayhmmz
01-13-2011, 10:05 AM
My girlfriend bought me the new xbox for my 21st back in October, I absolutely love it, more so than my xbox 360 elite. It's quieter, it's faster, it makes a cool noise when you press the touch pad to turn it on and open the disc drive, enables you to have kinect of course and it has built in wifi, so you can play it anywhere - beats spending £50 on the wireless adaptor on the old 360 models anyway!

LiNuX
01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Personally, I'd just stick with the old one - but it's probably because I moved away from consoles a while ago.

And you had to buy an adapter for networking on the old model? Thought it came with it.

Ilyich Valken
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
It's definitely worth the upgrade, the motherboard is new and doesn't heat up as fast (also helped by the huge vent in the top and sides), it has built in N wifi, it's a hell of a lot quieter idling (and games become quieter while playing due to the size of the harddrive and the ability to install them).

Personally, I'd just stick with the old one - but it's probably because I moved away from consoles a while ago.

And you had to buy an adapter for networking on the old model? Thought it came with it.
Nah, everything before the 360S you had to buy an adapter.

HamadaLFC8
01-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah I just got the new Xbox as well, since I had to cuz I moved to the US

I really like it tho, it looks awesome and it really is faster!

EpsilonX
01-13-2011, 01:05 PM

There's a $100 wifi adapter you had to buy for the 360, but the slim comes with wifi. I think thats about the only difference between the 2, but since i don't have the slim i can't say

Jayhmmz
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
All of the main differences between the two and a general overview of the wifi situation has already been discussed in this thread.

LysiaMoon
01-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Hmmm.
See. My mum had the phoneline cut off so the wireless doesn't effect me as I dont have live at the moment coz we use dongle internet!!!!
But I just think it's so pretty and if it's quieter that's a bonus as mine is so loud.
Naughty, attention seeking Xbox 360!!!

I will 95% have one by next month haha.

Jayhmmz
01-14-2011, 08:06 AM
if it's quieter that's a bonus as mine is so loud.
Naughty, attention seeking Xbox 360!!!

Do you install your favourite games to the Xbox hard-drive? If not, it solves half of the noise problem :)

BobTD
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Im in the same situation. Seeing as I dont plan to get kinect Im not sure if its worth it. and for online gaming its really better to use a cable rather then wi fi. Making less noise would be nice but what bothers me most is the PSU fan not the 360 and Im not sure if thats changed or if I could just get a newer one for my old model.

Plus, my old 360 has the steel wolves emblem from mechwarrior on it. How could I part with it?

Ilyich Valken
01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
what bothers me most is the PSU fan not the 360 and Im not sure if thats changed or if I could just get a newer one for my old model.
I wouldn't risk mix/matching PSUs and models (you really can't with the new power supply, different plug). What about it bothers you?

BobTD
01-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't risk mix/matching PSUs and models (you really can't with the new power supply, different plug). What about it bothers you?

its loud, and stays on after you turn off the system if you have a controller charge cable plugged in, sometimes even if the controller is at full charge. I have to get up out of bed sometimes and unplug controllers because it keeps me up.

Ilyich Valken
01-15-2011, 08:08 PM
its loud, and stays on after you turn off the system if you have a controller charge cable plugged in, sometimes even if the controller is at full charge. I have to get up out of bed sometimes and unplug controllers because it keeps me up.

Ah, yeah. I never really noticed the loudness, but generally it's because the cable is pulling power to the battery - even if it's fully charged because that's its only function. It also tends to wear the cables out faster (at least with the Microsoft brand Play-n-Charge ones.)