PDA

View Full Version : Metallica plan to record new album

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Metallica Set To Begin New Album | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_set_to_begin_new_album.html)

Death Magnetic was a giant leap in the right direction, especially considering the age of the band. You're not gonna get stuff as angry or as driven as their first few obviously, since they don't need to prove that they're louder and faster than everybody else anymore. I can't listen to Death Magnetic without being reminded of my second year of college though, which is unfortunate.

Th3-devils-princess
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
this would be awesome if they did record a new album just because they are amazing love them they are epic :D :)

Jayhmmz
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Metallica Set To Begin New Album | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_set_to_begin_new_album.html)

Death Magnetic was a giant leap in the right direction, especially considering the age of the band. You're not gonna get stuff as angry or as driven as their first few obviously, since they don't need to prove that they're louder and faster than everybody else anymore. I can't listen to Death Magnetic without being reminded of my second year of college though, which is unfortunate.

Death Magnetic was a giant leap in the wrong direction in terms of production, mixing and mastering quality. Ride The Lightning was far better quality, and that was done in the late 80s with less track available. The music was good, but I can't believe that Guitar Hero managed to re-master the album better than Metallica had it mastered, it's disgraceful on their part that they settled with it. I have been severely disappointed with Metallica in the late 90s and 00s. Let's hope they revive their old ways.

I say let Andy Sneap do the album, he will make it sound incredible. I just wish that they would get someone to properly re-master Death Magnetic. What a ****ing fail, it could have been perfect.

However, as I've said, take nothing away from the music that was written, as it is pretty good, but as a massive Metallica fan, I felt let down.

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Death Magnetic was a giant leap in the wrong direction in terms of production, mixing and mastering quality. Ride The Lightning was far better quality, and that was done in the late 80s with less track available. The music was good, but I can't believe that Guitar Hero managed to re-master the album better than Metallica had it mastered, it's disgraceful on their part that they settled with it. I have been severely disappointed with Metallica in the late 90s and 00s. Let's hope they revive their old ways.

I say let Andy Sneap do the album, he will make it sound incredible. I just wish that they would get someone to properly re-master Death Magnetic. What a ****ing fail, it could have been perfect.

However, as I've said, take nothing away from the music that was written, as it is pretty good, but as a massive Metallica fan, I felt let down.

Yea, the production sucked. Message me and i'll show you how to get the demo version. But i'm talking musically. St Anger was terrible, and Death Magnetic was a step in the right direction. But like I said, they won't be able to return to the 80s because they had fire, they had, Apollo put it best in Rocky 3, The eye of the tiger. When they started, metal was glam with makeup and lots of girly clothes. They just went out there lookin like they were from the streets and thrashed the place. They were being rebellious. Now they're like millionaires and don't have anything to rebel against, don't really have a point to prove. The next album, if it's musically like Death Magnetic but with better production, that's probably the best you'll get from Metallica these days. Or would you rather have another St Anger or Reload?

norid
02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
PSSSSSH Metalica....whens Incubus coming out with something new?

Jaykub
02-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I hope its going to be better then the last. :/

leica
02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Generic, mass-produced music which serves only to promote the dominance of record labels' greed over artists' creativity.

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Metallica had enough creative control over death magnetic for it to sound how they wanted.

Jayhmmz
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Metallica had enough creative control over death magnetic for it to sound how they wanted.

+1

Metallica's music isn't generic whatsoever; their creativity was clearly evident in the album, it was just let down by poor mastering of the album's sound. Boom.

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
+1

Metallica's music isn't generic whatsoever; their creativity was clearly evident in the album, it was just let down by poor mastering of the album's sound. Boom.

If the studio was trying to control them, the songs would all be shorter and catchier. The only one I ever heard on the radio was The Day that Never Ends, but they always do a slower starting song that builds up.

leica
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Even if the label isn't controlling them, the public is. I'm sure that with their popularity, they're expected to make a certain amount of bank for the label, and to do that, they have to appeal to what the public want, instead of focus on their own creative energies.

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Well yea. But still, if the public wants them to make music more similar to their older stuff, I'm sure they don't have a problem doing that.

leica
02-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Regardless, they're contorting their sound to the label's desire in that they're contorting it to the public's desire. By fulfilling the wishes of the public, they're making the label money, and that is certainly what the label wants.

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Yea, you have a point, but the way I see it...I'm sure they don't have a burning desire to make any specific music. Metallica have always seemed like a band that just wanted to rock as opposed to a band that wanted to explore the creative boundaries of a genre or something...so i'm sure they're happy to make whatever people want to hear. It kind of gives you a starting place, if you know what I mean.

leica
02-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm just carrying out a fallacy, really, so if you want, you can ignore me.

As an idealist, I think musicians should avoid contracts and just produce what they feel. As a realist, ****, I listen to loads of music off major labels and a good portion of it is mass-produced.

EpsilonX
02-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I think as a musician, you have 2 choices. You can produce what you want exactly how you want it and just let people find you from word of mouth or whatever, or you can write stuff based on the suggestion of a label. For example, right now, I have no idea what kinda stuff I'd write if I were to write something. If I were in a band and we decided on a genre and got signed and had to produce something following some sort of guidelines, what I would do is use those guidelines as sort of a restriction. Sometimes, when you restrict what somebody can and can't do, it makes them explore new territory and do the best of what they're allowed to do. If somebody wanted me and some people to make a power ballad to be sold a lot, i'd make sure it was the best power ballad we could possibly come up with. That's how i see it from an idealist perspective. But if a label was like "you, record this, sing this, perform this exactly how I have it" i'd be like no i ain't signin that. I think the Black Album took Metallica's sound and made it more...idk the term. But, it took the metallica sound, and made it into something that can be enjoyed by more. It's still Metallica, it just abandoned some of the more complex stuff from the previous album in favor of more simple stuff. now if you like and justice for all a lot you're probably be disappointed, but if all you wanted was somethin to rock out to, black album works. I think nothing else matters, enter sandma, and some of the others are cool songs. There's too many songs on the album though, and a lot of them aren't as good.

short version: if a label wanted me to do something, i'd make it the best I could while still fitting in the label's guidelines.

Anyways...lol

leica
02-03-2011, 12:21 AM
third choice is to appeal to the public
sort of like appealing to the label's wishes
but it's like the difference between direct and representative democracy
ideally, intentionally appealing to either the public or the label is corrupt
my thoughts are loose right now

when i produce though, i guess i sort of conform to my idealism
i mostly just experiment with sound until i feel that it reflects what i want it to
i dont even aim for a particular genre and it rarely fits into one once its done

as a consumer, i come way short of these ideals though

EpsilonX
02-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Here, read this.

MetalSucks ABSTRACT THEORY WITH THE HUMAN ABSTRACT’S A.J. MINETTE: CREATIVE LIMITATION, PART I (http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/12/23/abstract-theory-with-the-human-abstracts-a-j-minette-creative-limitation-part-i/)

leica
02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
i just read my post again and it doesnt make sense
my left brain has shut off for the night
i'm in philosophy mode right now and can't form coherent paragraphs anymore

sorry about that

anyway i'm reading that article and i'll routinely tab back to here and input thoughts

* i can definitely concede with the argument put forth in the first paragraph, it makes sense

okay thats basically it i thought there would be more lol

i used to love the human abstract
i saw them live back in 08 or 09 i think
they were great
i should start listening to them again

and this concludes a mildly on-topic post by leica

EpsilonX
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
i just read my post again and it doesnt make sense
my left brain has shut off for the night
i'm in philosophy mode right now and can't form coherent paragraphs anymore

sorry about that

anyway i'm reading that article and i'll routinely tab back to here and input thoughts

* i can definitely concede with the argument put forth in the first paragraph, it makes sense

okay thats basically it i thought there would be more lol

i used to love the human abstract
i saw them live back in 08 or 09 i think
they were great
i should start listening to them again

and this concludes a mildly on-topic post by leica

There's a part 2 also. But i was just sayin that label control can be seen as one of those restrictions he was talking about. I don't know if bands actually think like that though