PDA

View Full Version : xBox 360, worth buying??

No_Chance
09-05-2007, 02:36 AM
am in-between 2minds trying to work out if its better to get a Xbox360 or a ps3, is it worth paying the $600 odd for an xbox, bio-shock looks amazing....
let me know your thoughts

LiNuX
09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
there are probably more people here that'll favor the 360 over the PS3 - even though I'm a sony fan i'll probably advise u to get the 360 since sony is really trying too hard to get some of those good games to be exclusive to them. And 360 has more games and it costs less than the PS3

Junas
09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I favour the Xbox 360 even though mine died less that 6 months after getting it.

LiNuX
09-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I favour the Xbox 360 even though mine died less that 6 months after getting it.

if it was just 6 months i think u could have contacted Microsoft and either get it fixed or trade in for a new or refurbished one - you can do that with Sony and PS2 :) provided by theking of this forum

Martin
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Get the 360, so many awesome games are available for it.

lonewolfxix
09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Microsoft offer a 3year warranty for all faults and 4years warranty for the "red ring/3 lights of death"
The xbox 360 costs a lot less, has more games and of course, more used games so if you don't have lots of money to spend on getting new games you can have them used for $20.

The xbox 360 does has it's downsides, you have to pay monthly if you want to play online but the service is greater than the ps3's, it uses more power, roughly 10watts more, which equates to an extra... ?0.02p/hour (uk average) or $0.0045/hour (US average) to run.

I can honestly say the 360 is a much better option, especially if you're not a full fledged gamer or a full fledged gamer on a budget, you can get them for about $120 online for a core and a memory card 3 games and 2 controllers used on ebay if you want to.

Alot of games which normally seal the deal with getting a playstation 3 - e.g. final fantasy or GTA - these now regularly come out for the xbox - or atleast final fantasy xiii is said to be released on the xbox 360 at the same time as ps3 and has more features.

I hope my cut on this arguement of which to get helps :)

xeysz
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Definitely 360.

PS3 if you like movies

Scott
09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
You should get an Xbox 360 Elite. They wont get the 3 red lights (apparently).

I think you should go with the 360 but it really depends on what you want.
The Xbox 360 (at the moment) has the best games all the 'BIG' PS3 Games have been really bad. Lair apparently is one of the worst games ever (IGN Gave it 16% out of 100) and Warhawk is online only.

Also the multi - format games at the moment are noticably better than on the PS3 (Like in Rainbow Six & F.E.A.R. - The controls work much better on the 360 apparently). And as for the online. You might have to pay for the Xbox 360's but its seriously better than the PS3's.

lonewolfxix
09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
xbox 360 also right now has better graphics due to a coding more familiar to most developers meaning they can crank up the graphics more due to more efficient processing :) but the elite isn't more reliable than a premium.

Lee
09-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Get 360, PS3's are not worth the extra money.

lonewolfxix
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
If you have loads of money and think that the exclusive games are worth the extra money you may consider buying it, but as it is, most of the exclusives don't exactly look appealing. The only reason i'd go for a playstation 3 is the fact of Final Fantasy XIII which apparently is coming out on Xbox 360 anyway. You could argue the fact of their store and the fact you can buy all the old games and online is free but to be honest, most of the games they offer in the store don't actually work on the PS3 (and have since been pulled from the marketplace and all customers have been refunded fully)
and the console doesn't work with some older ps2 games which some people do like, you also have to add in the fact that it's using a non standardised disc format, if Sony loses the format war again, the PS3 will become obsolete, everyone's thinking "bluray is the future!" and i say look at the past ;)

the magnetic music storage age: Cassettes.. SONY backed them.. they won... cool.
the magnetic video storage age: VHS... SONY lost... they made betamax and due to cost.. they lost.
The optical disc age: CD... Sony backed them I believe.. and it won...
the optical video disc age v1.: DVD... Sony backed the cheaper, less storage space VCD and lost.

Now we have BluRay against HD-DVD and to be honest, based on what my friends use in terms of home cinema (hdtv's etc.) and how early alot of people bought into HD, HD-DVD is cheaper and suits the needs of users better.

xeysz
09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't want to go off-topic but HD looks like the past compared to Blu-Ray.

Think: Blu-ray was not even supposed to be released into the market until 2008. Sony was forced to release it early (before they could better mass-produce them) so it would cost over a thousand pops.

HD, on the other hand, is cheaper for less quality. But since the PS3 is only 500 USD now, and a little back Amazon.com through in a bunch of boosters, I think it is not a bad price.

See; you get games, movies, music, and whatever else.

I think Blu-Ray is better than HD because it is. And think about this: an HD TV cost a lot of money. In a couple years, you are going to want to get the higher quality Blu-Ray disc, because then the TV will be cheaper and so will the player.

Or Sony will do their retarded things and give up making Blu-Ray discs/ players.

Because Sony does stuff like that LOL.

I still say to get an XBox360. If you like games then it's the way to go! I love playing those shooters on my brother's 360. I was stupid to get a Wii and the only thing I do on it is Internet because there are no games for it.

So choose wisely, it really depends on why you want a console.

LiNuX
09-07-2007, 01:24 PM
blu-ray came out before the ps3 didnt it? i remember it before that lol - well and its still $500 - you cant say its $500 now :D cuz that was the original price for the 20gb hard drive i believe

i say go for the dam nintendo wii - screw the other two lol - its cheaper and much more fun and interactive :D

lonewolfxix
09-07-2007, 02:06 PM
HD the past bluray the future? Bluray is just another way to DISPLAY high definition content, it's not another format all on it's own, for example, audio-dvd's have music on them, just the same as audio cd's, just store more and cost more.

Bluray - expensive, slow and probably going to die
HD-DVD - cheaper, faster, may die.

XEYSZ, if you're going to say HD-DVD is the past, please get your facts right on why, HD is the future, Bluray is not a new type of audio video system, HD IS

Plus, come to UK, ps3 is $800 here compared to $400 for a 360 elite and any game you want some places offer 2 or more games! and not old ones either.

saying Bluray is better than HD is stupid as BluRay was made to store HD content. So was HD-DVD, just for less money, where you're looking at $50/disc on bluray and $500 for a player you're looking at $200 for a hd-dvd player and about $20 a disc. and "higher quality"? are you referring to what it can put on it? Can you name anyone with a 1080p 50inch screen with 7.1 digital surround sound? that's the type that goes through digital co-axial outputs and cost $750 for 5.1 :)

comfortablynumb.
09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
i am still seriously debeting which one to get, the ps3 seems to have more stuff
but i have a free year of xbox live too.
most people here seem to like the 360 better, but alot of my friends said its not worth getting since ps3 had a price drop

xeysz
09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I am sorry if you think so it was not too complicated.

I don't even like the PS3 I have never owned anything "PlayStation" in fact I never had much Sony stuff either (old Walkmans, maybe a couple speakers, etc.)

And that is why I have the Wii! It's just that I don't play any games on it lol.

Get the 360 you will like it. It's a lot of fun and is the best hardcore gaming machine aside from computers lol.;-)

Good luck!

lonewolfxix
09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
The PS3's price drop still isn't enough to make it a good choice in my opinion. It's not all about the price but the games and other features aswell.

Playstation 3's games and other stuff don't really appeal to me or it seems a lot of other people

The Xbox 360 has a better online experience although it costs about $5/month and there's loads of free patches and stuff for your games to update and better compatability with a lot of other things. for example the ps3 can't connect to an ipod, the xbox can :) Although the PS3 uses bluetooth which allows you to connect it up to your bluetooth ear pieces and cell phone etc. although I doubt it'll actually work.

And what if bluray doesn't win against HD-DVD? You bought into a technology that died soon after :) People think the P0rn0gr*phy industry have already decided that HD-DVD is to die after selecting blu-ray as their format of choice, but there's more than just that to it :)

Blackbird
09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I didn't bought X-BoX 360 elite and I won it, and now I'm waiting for the new coming Halo 3. But I don't think X-Box 360 is bad if you love the old one. Well, complain about the old and the new one its good grapical and everything. You get better felling about the console if you play in HD-TV, maybe you playing a racing games you really got that felling. :P

xeysz
09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I didn't bought X-BoX 360 elite and I won it, and now I'm waiting for the new coming Halo 3. But I don't think X-Box 360 is bad if you love the old one. Well, complain about the old and the new one its good grapical and everything. You get better felling about the console if you play in HD-TV, maybe you playing a racing games you really got that felling. :P

Yeah!

My brother's friend has a nice high-def screen and we played gears of war. Really cool on there!

And my brothers other friend has a projector so ya u can imagine the fun on that!

blakey87
09-13-2007, 08:10 AM
As it stands right now the 360 seems the best console, I own both a 360 and a PS3, and can say that the 360 is the better console..... at the moement.

In saying this though I can safely say that the PS3 has tons of potential, and also believe that, what I have seen of 360 now is the most it will have offer, were as with the PS3 I would say there is a whole lot more room for improvement, the PS3 just has had a really really slow start , this is un-fortunate because, it does have potential as I have said. I could list all potential areas but there is no need.

To conclude I would say to anyone getting a next gen console , get a 360, but if you would ask me the same question a year and a half say, it would possibly be the PS3, but not definite as I obviously cant see into the future.

Don't flame me as I know there a lot of 360 fans

Bring back rumble Sony!

lonewolfxix
09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Xbox 360 reached it's full potential? A console takes years to reach it's full potential, it depends how far the developers are willing to go to make their game cutting edge.

blakey87
09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Xbox 360 reached it's full potential? A console takes years to reach it's full potential, it depends how far the developers are willing to go to make their game cutting edge.

Yes true I'm talking in terms of new features though, I don't think there will be any new features which seriously wow me,but I still dont know what the future holds and I there will be many more great games to come obviously along with and new features, but you are right that it takes years for a console to reach its full potential.

lonewolfxix
09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
And you think the PS3 could get new features? hell, maybe possibly a rumble pad.. I can still see the 360 as more expandable, either one you expand you're going to void the warranty, with the ps3, you buy it, then you buy the games and everything
with the xbox 360, you buy it and suddenly you're opened up to a big world of homebrewers and modifications as the 360 is a lot more versatile to being modified than the PS3, but that's just my opinion and at this current time frame.

blakey87
09-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Of cause the PS3 can get new features, rumble is more then likely going to happen, nothing concrete but I believe it will happen eventually , I agree the 360 is the better console(I own both) as it stands right now, but in the future combine a game which makes good use of the sixaxis, rumble if its there ,graphical capability, and PS home for the online experience makes for a good game in my opinion

In terms of modification the ps3 is not saying much as Sony have done great job locking hackers out which is unfortunate as homebrew on the ps3 would be great, just like any other console

lonewolfxix
09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
You can put a new operating system on it, the last time I checked, but I doubt it does anything, back in the days of PS2, Sony encouraged homebrew applications by their playstation 2 console bundled "YaBasic", It's a shame to turn it's back on the homebrew community now as homebrew software is getting more and more limited every day. I still remember the Amiga days where you'd get a cd or a pack of floppy disks holding 100s of games people have made either by a package they bought (for example S.E.U.C.K. - Shoot Em Up Construction Kit) or other means.

Homebrew software creating on consoles needs to be brought back more mainstream, though I won't do it as I don't know a thing about making software :P

blakey87
09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
In a years time when the consoles mature more, we will see then I gueess

Jasperking
09-14-2007, 11:37 AM
the xobx 360 elite is alot better than the ps3 and still alot cheaper :P. Although i still think cause i have a pc i dont really care for another microsoft product :p

comfortablynumb.
09-14-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah im definatly gettin the 360 now haha
im all about the online so it seems better

lonewolfxix
09-14-2007, 05:43 PM
s'Good to see you've made up your mind :-) I was looking at buying one aswell, but not really got the money and if i did i'd use it on my pc :P

Jasperking
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
ill have the money soon but i just dont have the heart to buy one... lol

Blackbird
09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm have the X-Box 360 Elite :)

blackchief114
11-08-2007, 09:07 AM
There is a website where you can get free elite systems.

Scott
11-08-2007, 09:16 AM
There is a website where you can get free elite systems.

And since you had to edit your posts and since this is your first post I'm guessing you tried to advertise it? lol

You can't post links till you have 10 posts and have been a member for 24 hours also we don't allow advertising of those sites.

Btw You should introduce yourself.

And I don't belive you ever get anything from those sites.

Ghost
11-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Lol this thread is old. I say you shoud get one tho

LiNuX
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
it is pretty old lol

@blackchief - if your gonna post a referral link when ur advertising that site - i'd suggest not to , its an advance warning cuz those sites just waste people's time

Jenatello
11-08-2007, 10:21 AM
And I don't belive you ever get anything from those sites.

you do get the stuff that you want from those sites... after you refer 500,000 friends, buy a million things that you don't need, give up your social security number, sign over your first born, cut off your pinky toes, get the site url tattooed on your body and then promise that after you get it within the first 3 hours you will kill yourself.

jeez, have a little more faith in these sites...

Scott
11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
you do get the stuff that you want from those sites... after you refer 500,000 friends, buy a million things that you don't need, give up your social security number, sign over your first born, cut off your pinky toes, get the site url tattooed on your body and then promise that after you get it within the first 3 hours you will kill yourself.

jeez, have a little more faith in these sites...

Yeah I knew someone who was an active member on my old forum he asked me to join this site for him so he could win a psp. The site wanted $50 from me!!

Blackbird
11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
That's just expensive to pay for nothing. :)

TheKing
11-08-2007, 11:39 PM
I have the Xbox 360 and I love it!!! The graphic is cool and the controler has a ps2 feel to it. The controllers are wireless so no cords to deal with. If you have the xbox 360, i suggest getting a big hdtv with it also!!!

semperfi29
11-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I have elite edition xbox, imo it's worth it. :D

Juicebox
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
360 is a tun better then the PS3. I think you sould stick with good ol microsoft.