PDA

View Full Version : Gamers-Forum IRC Trivia Night #3

Diligence109
02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Gamers-Forum IRC Trivia Night (the third!)
February 20th, 5pm EST, in the Gamers-Forum IRC (that rhymed!)
Winner takes 500GFP!

Our simultaneously loved and hated trivia night is coming back again with the same promise of a 500GFP prize and we're all very excited for someone besides Leica to win it this time! If you feel you are a brave, righteous, knowledgable, trivia-filled contendor who can steal Leica's chance at a hat trick, post in this thread asking to join the game and I'll add you to the guest list!

The rules are the beautiful wall of text in the quote box below. They are ever-changing as we continue to make effective tweaks to the details of the trivia night's execution, so do us and yourself a favor and read them in their entirety so that there's little to no confusion the day of the trivia event!

Questions will be selected from five categories. Four of the categories will have questions of varying difficulty. There will be a 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 point question for each of these categories (the 5 pointer being the most difficult question and the 1 pointer being the easiest question.) The fifth category will be a collection of miscellaneous questions of equal difficulty that are worth 2 points each.

The winner of the IRC Trivia night gets to pick what one of the categories will be on the next trivia night. Leica, who won our last trivia night, has chosen the category Chemistry. The five categories for this trivia night will be Chemistry, Movies, Religion and Spirituality, Gaming, and Miscellaneous.

I will ask questions in the IRC Channel and answers should be /msg'd to me. I will accept answers for fifteen seconds following the timestamp on my message containing the question. Any answers /msg'd to me after that timeframe will not be counted. Everyone gets one answer - the first /msg I recieve from someone counts as their one and only answer. Any other answers or messages I receive after the first do not count.

Everyone that /msg's me the correct answer gets the points from that question. The first correct response I get will be awarded a bonus point. I will determine who had the first response based on which message my client received first. I will determine which responses were received within the time limit based on the times my client received them.

When we are going to write the next question in the IRC channel will moderate the channel (disallow anyone but those who are moderating the event to post messages to the channel.) We will then announce the category of the next question, the number of points of the next question, and I may make some snarky remarks while I have the floor and nobody can talk back to me. Finally, I'll announce the question and the instant my question is posted the 15 second timeframe for answers starts.

After the 15 seconds for the question have passed, I'll announce the answer, who got it right within the 15 seconds, and who got it first in the IRC channel. I will not respond to anybody's /msg's, I'll be far too busy to be able to. After every five questions, we will post the scores as they stand. We will also post the scores before the penultimate and final questions. The winner will soon after recieve their 500GFP and be contacted to select a category for the next trivia night.

I'll see you all there!

The people currently signed up for this trivia night are:

Ilyich Valken
Muffincat
Jaykub
BlackPhazor
jcmcdo12
Flab-Ender
leica
insert_cliche_here
LemonRising

Ilyich Valken
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Yuh. I'm up for it.

Muffincat
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
mememememememmememememememememe

Jaykub
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Count me in!

BlackPhazor
02-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I didn't show up last time, but I'll try to show up this time. Count me in too!

jcmcdo12
02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I might put me in but if I cant ill say

Flab-Ender
02-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Sign me up!!

Diligence109
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Leica has chosen Chemistry as the fifth category for this trivia night. I updated the original post to reflect this.

I'm excited to see lots of you signing up for this! I know there's more of you on the forum that want 500GFP... show yourselves!

Jaykub
02-05-2011, 03:09 PM
We need someone to beat leica this time :3

leica
02-05-2011, 03:10 PM
im gonna dominate y'all again

insert_cliche_here
02-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Yay! I wanna play :D

LemonRising
02-06-2011, 12:36 AM
You know I'm there lol

LiNuX
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Just a few more days 'til the event. Thought I'd update in case some people missed it.

Ilyich Valken
02-17-2011, 12:15 AM
There shouldn't be any problems on my end, as long as everything goes as planned. Just figured I'd give a heads up that there's a very small chance for something to screw up my being able to participate.

Diligence109
02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
The event is tomorrow! If you wanna sneak in and haven't signed up already, post in this thread now!

See you all tomorrow at 5pm (EST)! :)

LemonRising
02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
: DDDDD
IIIIIIIM READY

Im ready Im ready

Muffincat
02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
FIVE MINUTESSSSSSSSS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

playplayplay with us :3

Diligence109
02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks to everyone that came! This trivia night revealed more of the kinks that I and the mods will be working out to make sure this contest is fun, fair, and runs smoothly - but all in all the night went really well and was a lot of fun. Congrats to the mysterious Leftymode who stormed in last minute and wiped the floor with his bot-like typing speeds and wikipedia-deep trivia knowledge!

Thanks all for coming and making a fun Sunday evening out of it!

Here were the scores as they stood at the end of the night:
Name | Score
leftymode | 69
Muffincat | 50
Leica | 36
LemonRising | 29
Ilyich | 25
jcmcdo12 | 25
Flab-Ender | 12
Blackleo | 11

Muffincat
02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Grats to lefty :P

I think this was the best trivia yet, though some of the questions were still a little off-the-wall :P

Rawr... so close this time ~_~

LemonRising
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
haha yeah it was fun as usual

LEFTY DESTROYED US

LiNuX
02-20-2011, 11:30 PM
congrats to lefty indeed. Next one should be a month from now, hope to see everyone there again.

Blackleo
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I think we should post the Q&A of past trivias ! They are educational !

Flab-Ender
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Ohhhh good idea.

Diligence109
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM

not a bad idea at all! For those of you who are interested, here are the questions that were on this trivia night:

---------------------------------------
---V---V---V---V---V---V---V---V---V---
---V---V---V---CHEMISTRY---V---V---V---

(1)
What compound is in sprite that makes it fizz?
CO2

(2)
What element is there more of than any other element in the air?
Nitrogen

(3)
What is Nitrous Oxide most frequently used for?
Anesthesia

(4)
What isotope of Hydrogen is the second most abundant in our oceans?
Deuterium (or Hydrogen-II)

(5)
What state of matter has 0 viscosity at close to the temperature of 0 Kelvin?
Superfluid

---^---^---^---CHEMISTRY---^---^---^---
---^---^---^---^---^---^---^---^---^---

---V---RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITY---V---
(1)
What religion is followed by the most people in the whole world right now?
Christianity

(2)
What is the most widely practiced polytheistic religion in the world today?
Hinduism

(3)
What spiritual practice aims to achieve enlightenment through meditation?
Buddhism

(4)
What is the spiritual quest Muslims must do at least once in their life?
The Hajj

(5)
What Jungian philosophy claims that we are all connected in some way?
Collective unconscious

---^---RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITY---^---

---V---V---V-----MOVIES----V---V---V---

(1) What movie features a carrot as a lethal weapon?
Shoot 'em Up

(2)
who made the music for The Social Network?
Trent Reznor, the lead singer/songwriter of Nine Inch Nails

(3)
What was the first animated film to gross $1,000,000,000?
Toy Story 3

(4)
Who on the cast of the Black Swan lost over 15 pounds to do her lead role?
Natalie Portman

(5)
Who is known to have split an arrow with another arrow in the 1938 Adventures of Robin Hood?
Howard Hill

---^---^---^-----MOVIES----^---^---^---

---V---V---V-----GAMING----V---V---V---

(1)
What free-to-play MOBA game that was developed with help from the original creator of the popular Warcraft 3 mod, Defence of the Ancients, has taken over Diligence109's life?
League of Legends

(2)
What preceding motion gaming controller has the PlayStation Move controller been critized for resembling? (Note: not what CONSOLE but what CONTROLLER.)
Wiimote

(3)
What series exclusive to Nintendo features more than 30 of Nintendo's most popular characters in its most recent installment?
Super Smash Brothers

(4)
What Xbox exclusive released last year made more than 175 million dollars within 24 hours of being released?
Halo: Reach

(5)
What internationally recognized game publisher makes more money per employee than Google and Apple?
Valve

---^---^---^-----GAMING----^---^---^---

---V---V-----MISCELLANEOUS-----V---V---

(2)
Who is arguably the most avid about racing games on the forum?
HamadaLFC

(2)
Name a member of our forum that hails from Austrailia.
insert_cliche_here, Wobblesock

(2)
Name a member of our forum that hails from North Carolina, USA
Jaykub

(2)
Who wrote the most recent game review posted on Gamers-Forum?
Jokersvirus who reviewed Splatterhouse and posted on 01-24-2011

(10)
What was LiNuX's original username?
b00g3r

---^---^-----MISCELLANEOUS-----^---^---

Flab-Ender
02-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you Dili!

By the way, the answer to the most recent game review is wrong, I did a review on medal of Honor on the first of February.