PDA

View Full Version : General Info PC Doomsday growing near...

Jayhmmz
02-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Well there probably isn't going to be another CoH game or any game from THQ. CoH Online has been pulled, Warhammer: Spacemarine is getting potentially pulled along with the remaining DoW games. They're going out of business...

Which means they will have to pay everyone pack for the CoH Cash they bought for CoH Online... They're in trouble.

Which brings me to say that PC gaming in general is in trouble. The new bill that will be coming out that states that PC games must be 100% fit for release will make a lot of developers go out of business. No game, on the current PC systems, can be 100% fit for release, it's impossible, unless they made a new Direct X platform to accomodate all games, and give all games a base to work on. At the moment there are far too many variations of a PC system, that a game will never, ever be 100% fit for release, at the moment.

The end of the PC gaming market was predicted for 2012/2013... with these new sparks, it looks like doomsday is imminent, and console games will take over from hereon.

However, if PC gaming goes out of business, a lot of other businesses will suffer. Razer will go bust, Creative have a chance of losing a lot of revenue with their gaming sound cards being no use, ATi will go out the window... but one company to mention imparticular, is nVidia. nVidia make a lot of medical hardware, and they get most of their revenue from the PC gaming market... so that would be really bad if all of the above happens!

Diligence109
02-08-2011, 08:53 AM
I doubt PC gaming is going to disappear. What's this new bill you speak of, could you link to it? I haven't heard of it before.

Also, I'm lazy and don't want to look up all those acronyms and I'm surprised that they're not coming to me at a glance... what are CoH (Company of Heroes?) and DoW?

Ilyich Valken
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I doubt PC gaming is going to disappear. What's this new bill you speak of, could you link to it? I haven't heard of it before.

Also, I'm lazy and don't want to look up all those acronyms and I'm surprised that they're not coming to me at a glance... what are CoH (Company of Heroes?) and DoW?

Company of Heroes and (I'm assuming) Dawn of War, a Warhammer 40k game.

Shixx
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
PC gaming is in a drought lately, I do hope it's temporary.

There's so much PC Gaming has to offer that Consoles cant bring.

Mods bring SO much to Games, making games like Dragon age and New Vegas so much better for so much longer.

BobTD
02-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Lolz, In my opinion eventually everyone will be playing games on the PC.

Look at it this way, all games are built on a computer. Anything that hurts the computer industry hurts the gaming industry. And as technology reaches different stages our chosen form of play may shift from console to console but computers will always be the most cutting edge platform. They only thing that remains true, is that computers drive the market. Consoles limit developers as more and more time passes between next gen systems.

America has always had crazy temporary insanity type ideas. Like prohibition. If they pass an unreasonable bill then game developers will move to Canada and continue to release games. Even if obstacles are thrown in the way of developers there is to much money involved for things to dry up.

Chances are this bill will just force developers to change the user end licence we always have to agree to. It will keep them from making provisions such as "even if our game is released unfinished we arent refunding your preorder". And poor quality upon release is not a problem with just PC games it happens on consols as well.

For example COD has a new team running infinity ward who has failed as of yet to pre beta test games. New Vegas launched on the 360 with so many glitches I found it unplayable. The list goes on.

In closing I would like to remind everyone of the success of a certain company called Valve. Who has proven to the world, that computer gaming is alive and well.

Ilyich Valken
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
In closing I would like to remind everyone of the success of a certain company called Valve. Who have proven to the world, that computer gaming is alive and well.

I agree whole-heartedly with this post, Bob. :) I just gotta add one thing: Valve and Blizzard.

Sure, there was a 12 year gap inbetween Starcraft 1 & 2 and Diablo 2 & 3, but they are good, solid games, and only need to be minutely tweaked in order to fix balance, not completely overhauling.

Jayhmmz
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM

I have no idea where the link has gone. I will have to ask my friend for it again when he is online! :)
Tried to Google it just then but I couldn't find it.

Correct, it was Company of Heroes, and as aforementioned after my post, DoW is Dawn of War :)

I agree with Bob that Valve is still alive and kicking, but THQ are looking in trouble and so are Acitivision, or Treyarch, forgot who... but they have a massive law suit coming their way!!

paecmaker
02-09-2011, 02:33 AM
I dont think that computers will fall. Just look at starcraft 2, cod ,battlefield and dota. (Try to make a dota like game on a console)

Jayhmmz
02-09-2011, 07:48 AM
I dont think that computers will fall. Just look at starcraft 2, cod ,battlefield and dota. (Try to make a dota like game on a console)

It may not fall all at once, but developers will start dropping off one by one.
Also, if this proposed Bill is put into action, well... God knows what will happen. However, developers who get a lot of money from Console revenue will be fine... but revenue for gaming hardware will go dowwwwwwn.

Diligence109
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
You mention this bill but you never get into what the bill actually states or decrees... just that it will bring the axe down on several developers. What does the bill actually stipulate?

Jayhmmz
02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
You mention this bill but you never get into what the bill actually states or decrees... just that it will bring the axe down on several developers. What does the bill actually stipulate?

It simply states that PC games must be 100% fit for release, they must be fully beta tested and guaranteed to work for everyone.

That is all that I found out. I cannot say any more.

Muffincat
02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm sure if this bill were to actually get passed, it wouldn't be THAT strict. It would probably get watered down before going in. If it went in that strict, then it won't pass. I'm sure game companies will find ways to make sure it doesn't o_O

And like Bob said, they probably would just move out of the country if it did.

Also, like a few others, I don't see PC gaming dying anytime soon.

Jayhmmz
02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm sure if this bill were to actually get passed, it wouldn't be THAT strict. It would probably get watered down before going in. If it went in that strict, then it won't pass. I'm sure game companies will find ways to make sure it doesn't o_O

And like Bob said, they probably would just move out of the country if it did.

Also, like a few others, I don't see PC gaming dying anytime soon.

Before passing it, if they do, they need to think about the consequences. Gaming just doesnt benefit gamers, it benefits a lot of other people too, and business. A main one, as I have already stated, is nVidia who make medical hardware... they would be screwed!

Blackleo
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
If the market for PC games is down then now will be a great time to invest ! It will surely pick up ! If it goes out all together, then Linux will be out of business !

Jayhmmz
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
If the market for PC games is down then now will be a great time to invest ! It will surely pick up ! If it goes out all together, then Linux will be out of business !

Well as you have seen, Activision have folded their attempts to develope Guitar Hero and True Crime - for lame ass excuses may I add!
It's clear to see they're being extra safe with their finances.

Raoul
02-10-2011, 05:34 AM
They are probably going to suprise us in the end by making some awesome games they are hopefully thinking of been more creative so that they can please there gamers out there.

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 07:15 AM
They are probably going to suprise us in the end by making some awesome games they are hopefully thinking of been more creative so that they can please there gamers out there.

No chance of this happening whatsoever :P
They're gunna stick to the plan and spend all of their time on Call of Duty.
Activision never do anything for the fans, they do everything for themselves and only themselves, seeing fit that everything is put in place for the sole purpose of making them money. They don't give two ****s about gamers today.

Developers should be more like Crytek, spending a lot of time on a game, for gamers.

paecmaker
02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
It may not fall all at once, but developers will start dropping off one by one.
Also, if this proposed Bill is put into action, well... God knows what will happen. However, developers who get a lot of money from Console revenue will be fine... but revenue for gaming hardware will go dowwwwwwn.

But both fps and rts works better on a computer.

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
But both fps and rts works better on a computer.

What has that got to do with the comment you quoted from me?
I didn't say that they did or didn't work better on a PC. I just said that the developers who get more revenue from console gaming will more than likely survive in the industry for longer... so you will have to elaborate, as your attempted link up to my quote made no sense.

Besides, that's just your opinion, people will think otherwise - such as gamers who played console FPS games before they played a PC FPS game, most of them will think that it works better on a console because it's what they're used to - others will disagree.

RTS games don't get given a good enough chance on the console, there has only really been Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth and Halo Wars from those I can think of, off the top of my head (there's probably been more)... so that's not really a fair comment you made about RTS working better on a PC, there hasn't been a good enough test of that genre on a console.

Muffincat
02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Well as you have seen, Activision have folded their attempts to develope Guitar Hero and True Crime - for lame ass excuses may I add!
It's clear to see they're being extra safe with their finances.

If this is about PC gaming going under, then why would that have anything to do with Guitar Hero? I doubt the main customer base for Guitar Hero is people who play it on PC o.o

If this was related to a scare about PC gaming, I'd assume they would try to milk as much of their console games (popular ones like Guitar Hero, especially) as they could o.o

paecmaker
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Jayhmmz;261256]What has that got to do with the comment you quoted from me?
I didn't say that they did or didn't work better on a PC. I just said that the developers who get more revenue from console gaming will more than likely survive in the industry for longer... so you will have to elaborate, as your attempted link up to my quote made no sense.

Besides, that's just your opinion, people will think otherwise - such as gamers who played console FPS games before they played a PC FPS game, most of them will think that it works better on a console because it's what they're used to - others will disagree.

RTS games don't get given a good enough chance on the console, there has only really been Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth and Halo Wars from those I can think of, off the top of my head (there's probably been more)... so that's not really a fair comment you made about RTS working better on a PC, there hasn't been a good enough test of that genre on a console.[/QUOTE

Yeah, sorry about that and I still love fps on console, (Havent tried to many rts) but there is a lot of money in the computer industrie. Its harder to make a profitable on pc but still many have done it, mentioning valve and blizzard wich have almost no game on console and I think it is hard to make a mmo on console, you need a keypad for all those hotkeys.

Dont mistake me cause I still love both pc and console but I dont think that the computer is beaten for a long time ahead, maybe adapted but not beaten.

Ilyich Valken
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
If this is about PC gaming going under, then why would that have anything to do with Guitar Hero? I doubt the main customer base for Guitar Hero is people who play it on PC o.o

If this was related to a scare about PC gaming, I'd assume they would try to milk as much of their console games (popular ones like Guitar Hero, especially) as they could o.o

Guitar Hero may not have been a popular game on the PC, but think about it. What do you think made them more money, the Guitar Hero franchise that people are getting sick of because they're recycling the game every year with new gimmicks, slightly upgraded graphics, and new songs and peripherals, or the behemoth they've made out of the Call of Duty series which, despite doing the exact same thing still continues to bring in astounding revenue.

Muffincat
02-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Right, which is why I think they're cutting it - I just don't think them canceling Guitar Hero has anything to do with falling PC game sales. That's all I was saying.

I think they're probably canceling it because it stopped making them money. Because no one cares about Guitar Hero anymore.

I just don't think it made sense to bring that fact into this argument, is all o.o I actually have no idea what you were saying about my statement o.o

Ilyich Valken
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Right, which is why I think they're cutting it - I just don't think them canceling Guitar Hero has anything to do with falling PC game sales. That's all I was saying.

I think they're probably canceling it because it stopped making them money. Because no one cares about Guitar Hero anymore.

I just don't think it made sense to bring that fact into this argument, is all o.o I actually have no idea what you were saying about my statement o.o

It wasn't a direct.. statement to yours, I guess. Just.. a reference to where I was going with it?

I think the reason Guitar Hero mentioned was because FPS's were brought up, inevitably leading to CoD and Activision and their recent.. happenings.

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I just don't think them canceling Guitar Hero has anything to do with falling PC game sales. That's all I was saying.

They cut Guitar Hero because "...there is a decrease in interest in the music industry..."
I call bull****, I don't know about anyone else...

BobTD
02-11-2011, 03:47 AM
one could argue that all games are pc games, even 360 games run on a computer we call a console.

clearly the bill has to be looked at for exact wording or i see no reason to talk about it.

Exentenzed
02-12-2011, 06:03 AM
PC gaming is in a drought lately, I do hope it's temporary.

There's so much PC Gaming has to offer that Consoles cant bring.

Mods bring SO much to Games, making games like Dragon age and New Vegas so much better for so much longer.

See? This guy gets it. :P

Mods (And for some games, Trainers) can realy make a game more fun as they enhance replayability.
I will always find myself preferring the PC platform for gaming.

Also because consoles will eventually be outdated with no chance of upgrading it, where as PC's can be updated when needed.
And games ported to consoles nowadays need to be restriced so they can actually run on a console platform (Just cause 2 and R.U.S.E are two VERY good examples on this.)

Jayhmmz
02-12-2011, 07:24 AM
See? This guy gets it. :P

Mods (And for some games, Trainers) can realy make a game more fun as they enhance replayability.
I will always find myself preferring the PC platform for gaming.

Also because consoles will eventually be outdated with no chance of upgrading it, where as PC's can be updated when needed.
And games ported to consoles nowadays need to be restriced so they can actually run on a console platform (Just cause 2 and R.U.S.E are two VERY good examples on this.)

This is all well and good, but not all games are like this, and not all developers make games like this.
You say that you can't 'upgrade' a console, but you will spend less money buying the latest console than constantly upgrading your PC to keep up with the graphical progression of the latest games. To make a PC last for five years (average length of a console until a new release) you will have to spend a hell of a lot more than you would do buying a console. I prefer PC gaming to console gaming, but I'm just stating facts.

BobTD
02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
This is all well and good, but not all games are like this, and not all developers make games like this.
You say that you can't 'upgrade' a console, but you will spend less money buying the latest console than constantly upgrading your PC to keep up with the graphical progression of the latest games. To make a PC last for five years (average length of a console until a new release) you will have to spend a hell of a lot more than you would do buying a console. I prefer PC gaming to console gaming, but I'm just stating facts.

Less money does not = a better experience. The people with actual income who game will still be able to own a gaming computer. In reality consoles should aim at a younger audience or at least the younger market that is in school. The success of the wii regardless of its lower age targets might point in this direction.

As the average age of casual gamers continues to rise we may see the balance shift back in the other direction.

Jayhmmz
02-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Less money does not = a better experience. The people with actual income who game will still be able to own a gaming computer. In reality consoles should aim at a younger audience or at least the younger market that is in school. The success of the wii regardless of its lower age targets might point in this direction.

As the average age of casual gamers continues to rise we may see the balance shift back in the other direction.

I agree with everything that you just said, however, just to a certain extent.
I know a hell of a lot of people with income and they choose to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360 over any other or console or over owning a gaming PC... Why? Because it offers them an "easy" gaming experience and allows them to party up and play games with their friends easily.

Also, I do not recall saying that you get a better experience with a console, whatsoever. I'm all for PC gaming, so I do not think that you get a better experience with a console, end of. So let's put that misunderstanding to bed, please.

Basically, the way I see it, the more friends who have a console, preferably PS3 or Xbox, other gamers will feel compelled to get one, so that they can play games with their IRL friends.

Exentenzed
02-19-2011, 12:30 AM

Yea it is true that buying a PC that will last for that long does cost more, but im sure you agree with me that due to the flexability of the PC platform it's relatively worth it. :D

If i only wanted to play the newest games out there i would have gone console, but we cant have me living without my and vegas video pro, now can we? :D:D (Takes a lot of power to render 1080p videos :P)